• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Monopoly Value FPC vs DPC

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silverback:

Frustration felt... and recogised... and justified to a large extent.

Don't give the CWB to pleasure of destroying the biggest threat to their monopoly... THE ALBERTA GOVERNMENT.

I will encourage, help, support anyone who has taken the public stand the Alberta Gov. has taken for freedom of marketing wheat and barley in Alberta.

I know many resources have been used... in this battle. But not doing anything is 100 times worse than what is being done now!

Charlie, Brenda, Minister Horner...

Thankyou for what we have seen so far... please keep it up... and please show us your plan for constructive marketing choice so we can help bring Alberta real choice for grain farmers!

Comment

silverback

Just looking for your thoughts on what could be done differently.

Realities.

1) CWB Act is federal legislation. Realizing the differences between Ontario and western Canada, the legislation seems to be pretty much bullet proof.

2) The CWB are the ones who set policy and enforce it. There are levels of industry consultation by the CWB (most of it out of the publice eye) but when the smoke clears, they make the decisions on issues. Perhaps the most effective way to change things is to deal with this area. I note the CWB election review that is occurring.

3) The Alberta government works with industry. Our voice is much stronger when supported by farm organizations/industry. The market choice successes have been getting agreement among industry groups and presenting a united stand on issues that the feds need to listen to. Our objective is to move beyond the retoric and present a solid business case for market alternatives outside the current CWB system.

The case in point today is barley. My sense is the industry (all levels) is calling for change.

Comment

ALLFARMER

Choice matters website is still there.

http://www.choicematters.gov.ab.ca/

Just for fun, type in www.choicematters.ca. There is a story here but you need to buy me coffee before I will share.

Comment

Charlie;

1. We must constitutionally do the same as Ontario... the Alberta Wheat & Barley Board (AWBB) has a right to exist... the same as in Ontario. Agriculture is constitutionally shared jurisdiction... just like Supply Management is. Alberta has a real moral and legal right to be involved in helping Alberta farmers market their grain.

2. The Liberals talk big about rights... yet weed users and gay rights are protected... while the feds confiscate Alberta wheat and barley. This is inexcusable and much stronger ground for the AWBB than any other federal issue we are confronted with today.

3. Marketing Choice must be key... which means true choice including a CWB marketing option for Alberta growers of wheat and barley... this needs to be specific to the function and operation of the AWBB goals and objectives.

The AWBB can add value to the CWB... work with the CWB... in a co-operative system to supply the best value for Alberta farmers who grow wheat and barley. Supply Management does this today province by province. Wheat and Barley is constitutionally no different than eggs, turkey, chicken or dairy.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Comment

I am sorry, but if you think the CWB elections are going to help those that want some choice and competition, you are dreaming.

There is no need for more blah, blah, blah from farm groups and lobbyists. If Alberta wanted to, they could set up the Alberta Wheat Board tomorrow. Just like they talk of standing up for our health care system and finding a "new way", they do nothing to change things other than increase spending. Hmmm, sounds like the Ottawa Liberal party.

"Consultation" and discussions are a waste of everyones time right now, they are merely a way of prolonging the status quo and beaurocrat jobs.

Comment

As June 29, the CWB no longer includes December futures prices in their examples.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...