• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The CWB returns all sales revenues minus expenses (approx. 10 cents per bushel) to the farmers.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CWB returns all sales revenues minus expenses (approx. 10 cents per bushel) to the farmers.

Just wanted to start a new thread as the other one died.

Vader:

The CWB takes $3.67 a tonne as you stated below in a post. In a good year on wheat, thats $3.67 an acre. Good year in barley, double that to $7.50 an acre.

Margins in canola run through export run $8.00 to $11.00. Don't get me started on canola crush.

Why is it that the CWB, the farmer's advocate allows margins for CWB handled grains to run between $19.00 and $23.00. Hell, the two privately held companies brag about every quarter.

The CWB is an avenue for companies to print money while you sit idly by and allow it happen. And then, in the most hypocritical fashion, bash ADM whenever you can, beacuse they are multi-national? Your beloved pools are on the same gravy train.

SO with the 23 dollar margin, your 3.67 and add in the railways freight at 38 dollars from a mid point in SK; the total PER ACRE for handling is 26.67 and freight of 38 for a grand total per acre of $64.67 an acre for a 37 bushel an acre crop.

MAYBE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND BASIS:

Every farmer freaks when canola basis gets to 30 and 40 dollars. THE BASIS ON WHEAT IS frikkin $64.67 a TONNE.

AND THATS EFFICIENT?

You are right Agstar...I don't get it. Neither do you.

Thats an interesting post incognito, that maybe one of the better aurguments you've made in a long while I like the basis angle.

Comment

opps arguments

Comment

So you say grain companies would charge less and the railways would charge less for freight if the CWB did not exist. Maybe you should ask the americans if their railways charge less.

Comment

You complain about the railways yet you probably were one of the first to ask for the removal of the crow rate so we could be free. Well we are free of those awful low crow rates and life is much better. Don't get me started.

Comment

When you add the basis to freight, is it still basis?

Comment

I would like to hear you get started Agstar! Let me hear all your best reasons for keeping the status quo.

You also seem to know how much it costs Americans to get their grain to market, how much is it? (honest question)

Comment

Incognito;

I had an interesting discussion with CWB's Ward W. at the Sherwood Park CWB meeting this past spring.

He told me the CWB had to have $8.00/t ... and I said Why?

The Ontario Wheat Producers Marketing Board does it for $1.50/t on exempted export wheat this year I am told.

With the volumes the CWB handles they should be cheaper if they were efficient.

Then on the Daily Price Contract there is the issue that the CWB claims to extract a premium. Where is this premium? Studies showing a CWB advantage were dubious at the time they were done years ago... and irrelevant now.

Then there is the CWB proof... benchmarking that was all shoved under the carpet when a premium could not be proved. Show us the premium... in our bank account Vader... where is it?

CWB grading in 04-05 on wheat is a joke... perfectly good milling wheat with falling #'s in acceptable levels is downgraded to feed.

This system is a nightmare... and a mile from being fair! AND the CWB directors have not done anything constructive to make it better. WInter wheat ILLEGALLY had grade changes (on visual sprouts NOT falling #'s)in September 2004... led by the CWB.

Show us the money in our pocket Vader... where is it?

Comment

Where did I complain about the railways?

You've never answered any farming questions Agstar...

Could it be your farm is at 423 Main?

Comment

You stated that the rail frt. was 38 from sask. So you are not complaining about this rate? I am not happy with the rail charges or the handling charges, but until the U.S. lets wheat in without a duty we are screwed. Marketing with a single seller will still return more than marketing through multiple sellers competing against one another. On the other hand it may not be economic for Canadian farmers to export wheat at the present time because there are too many low cost producers dumping wheat on the world market. This may mean exporting under any marketing regime would still be losing proposition. As for farming, we have farmed for 70 years in the same location, and it is not on Main st. Not long ago farmers in the northern states wanted to export through Canada, saying we had cheaper rates.

Comment

Agstar;

I would like to export wheat through Canada's west coast ports too... but I cannot take the lower cost to my farm gate BECAUSE of the CWB. And I am an ALBERTA farmer.

Daily pricing contracts from the CWB that are actually competitive with US prices would get us closer... but Agstar... why would the CWB be competitive and pay me more since they have a monopoly?

Comment

Agstar;

Why are you farming?

That is the most defeatist post I have ever read. Instead of fighting for a better return, you are saying why even try? Just because the Wheat Board has been here as long as many can remember does not mean it is the only way to sell grain. Does it? If you are not interested in getting the best price for your product in the whole world, I have to question why you bother to put in a crop at all? If you have given up let someone else farm it for you, maybe they will not sound so defeated by big brother.

Comment

Agstar,

You state, “Marketing with a single seller will still return more than marketing through multiple sellers competing against one another.”

If what you state is true, why does the Ontario WB only handle about 20% of the wheat sold in Ontario? Surely Ont. producers would use their WB if it meant more change in their jeans.

Comment

Well, I'm far from being a swami on this subject. However I would prefer a contract that meets in the middle with the processor. I'm told that producers of some fruits and vegetables work very closely with processors and retailers. I for one would have no problems with Molson Coors telling me when to seed and thresh as they have for years elsewhere.
                            I would not mind being a prosperous "janitor". We are all cogs in a wheel. YOU choose the size of each.
                            However a true marketing board would tell us exactly how much to milk-oops- I mean thresh.
                            I would like to work with an end user to learn what my elevation and average night temps/humidity produce best. I am too close to the eight ball to expand fast enough to rely on economy of scale alone.
                            But keep worrying about the color and size of the fiddle and not the nearness of the flames.
                            I've tried to keep looking over the fence for a new strategical angle of attack, but time alters all things even goals.
                            To all of you who will not outlive your equity no matter how hard you dig in your heels-Godspeed and Godbless.
                            I would like to renew my optimism-cash-like everyone else who is speeding past me out here. (Alberta).
                            Any tactics?

Comment

Silverback;

Didn't the CWB just turn 70 years old?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...