• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Daily Price Contract

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB Daily Price Contract

Well Charlie;

I can't find the DPC posted anywhere on the CWB web site, can you?

"Cash spreads for all other deliverable wheat grades will be posted during the pricing period beginning August 2, 2005, and are locked in on the date of initial payment settlement.

Pricing period
    Farmers can price their DPCs from August 2, 2005, until July 31, 2006. The CWB will post a reference grade DPC value every business day for each of the seven classes of wheat. The daily price will be offered as a flat price value, quoted in store Vancouver or St. Lawrence."

So as far as I could tell the posted prices were supposed to be out today.

Where are they?

Charlie;

I can't find the new initials for 2005-06 either.

Hmmmm.

Comment

Neither were released yesterday. When I asked, I was told computer problems.

Comment

DPC information is now on the web.

http://www.cwb.ca/db/contracts/ppo/ppo_prices.nsf/daily_price/2005_index.html

Comment

Still no info Charlie;

I see the "Master Grower" program looks like it is a higher priority... strange for a marketing agency to be running this type of program... what about a "Master Marketer" program... so the CWB could learn about what makes a good marketer? Wouldn't this be much more the emphasis the CWB needs to be working on?

I see the CWB claims all futures losses and gains come from and go to the CWB contingency fund.

Strange how the CWB does this...

Why would not the farmer doing the contract be responsible?

Comment

Charlie;

Still can't get the initials... which doesn't help much to have 0.00 base payments... that spread on nothing!

Comment

Just as a note, I would encourage everyone to go through the process of comparing the 2005/05 PRO to the fixed price and daily pricing contract values. A work mate also highlighted the early pricing option and the premiums being charged for the 80 %, 90 % and 100 $ payment levels. Perhaps the latter is the best signal as to the risk the CWB sees in the different pricing alternatives/PRO.

What are others thoughts about the CWB pricing alternatives?

Comment

Charlie;

Question,

IF I have #1CWRS 13.5, and the CWB says it is worth $178/t Vancouver... if I lock it in, can I buy it back for export at this price?

I assume the answer is yes.

When must I do this actual delivery after pricing (if pricing is today)?

I assume any time before July 31/06.

SO is my objective to pick as low a DPC price as possible... if going to the US with this wheat?

Comment

You can lock in a Daily Pricing Contract prior to delivery. I don't think you can lock in a producer direct sale price, however, until an export permit has been issued (don't know how it works if you do a PDS to a domestic flour miller). Your problem will be the spread between the DPC and the PDS are likely to change.

All CWB pricing alternatives remain connected to the pool - particularly as applies to the CWB risk management strategies. The CWB strategy still remains to maximize sales prices to the pool and to control delivery opportunities/market access for farmers who want to go direct.

Comment

I see the CWB has released the initials:

1CWRS 13.5 $133.60/t Vancouver
                    Feed Wheat $73.00/t Vancouver

Comment

I always find it interesting to compare initial payments to expected returns/margin for error to ensure no CWB deficient. I will make Edmonton Alberta based versus port to make the situation more real.

1CWRS 13.5; initial - $89/tonne; July PRO - $152/tonne; percentage - 58.5 %; margin for error - $63/tonne protection.

1CWAD 13; initial - $90/tonne; July PRO - $162; percentage - 56.5 %; margin for error - $72/tonne protection.

1CW feed barley; initial - $25/tonne; July PRO - $82; percentage - 37.2 %; margin for error - $57/tonne protection.

2 row select malt barley; initial - $71/tonne; July PRO - $126; percentage - 56.3 %; margin for error - $55/tonne protection.

You can also start to compare spreads on the initial payments (used in the fixed price contracts) to the spreads in the daily price contract. The initial payment spread between 1CWRS 14.5 and 13.5 is $12/tonne. The spread used in the daily pricing contract for these same proteins is $22.77/tonne. Someone who signed a DPC would be better off by $10.77/tonne in terms of protein premiums. To confuse things more, the FPC contract today (aug. 4) is a $10/tonne premium to the DPC for a 1CWRS 13.5. In terms of 1CWRS 14.5, price decision between the 2 pricing tools becomes a saw off with better protein premium offsetting lower price.

Welcome to the new world.

Comment

Once you get the bit in my mouth on an issue like this, it is hard to get me stopped.

I find the extra strong wheat interesting. DPC - $160.32/tonne FPC - $152.86/tonne PRO - $164.00/tonne. You can use this as a signal of likely direction of movement and markets (North American focus versus world). It is also an indication of what type of wheat will move south more easily if the anti dumping/countervail were lifted and from there which would move into the US market under a DPC/PDS.

I also have to note that the CWB still will control market access through export licencing. The DPC/PDS may create opportunities to sell into the US but the CWB will still make the decision as to whether if can occur based on its sales program/forecast customer needs.

Comment

It's interesting to note that on July 21, the last day you could sign a DPC, the protein spreads were still huge. By the time you could price a DPC, the protein spreads had dropped in half. What are the odds that actual protein premiums at US elevators fell that far in two weeks? So much for transparency.

Also had to laugh when I heard Louise Waldman say in the Western Producer that the CWB's job is to maximize prices "on a per tonne basis". So I suppose if they sell 1 tonne of wheat at a sky-high price, they've done their job.

I checked on the CWB web site and all it says is that they are supposed to maximize revenues for farmers. Last time I checked, revenues were based on price times volume.

It's interesting to note that of their mission, vision and goals, only one line actually deals with returns for farmers. Almost every other one talks about improving the profile or reputation of the board. That's the surest sign of the death of an organization -- when it is preoccupied with navel-gazing.

Comment

I was mad about that halving of the protein premiums as soon as the board was on the hook for pricing too, but according to contacts at informa who monitor u.s. protein premiums regularly, that is indeed what happened in the market, in response to pickup in harvest and high protein in early samples.

i still think the contract is a total crock, designed to protect the cwb and those who pool rather than create any real opportunity, as evidenced by the 'price indications' in the sign up window and the fact you had to commit grain before you could value it. that's just not good risk management in my opinion, but fancy premiums fooled a few into signing up.

note if trying to get out of dpc now, it's possible to assign the contract to another grower who may be interested in opening up to future improvement in u.s. cash prices.

also, i checked the pds price last week and it was about $4/t above the dpc bid for 1-13.5 on the day, for cwrw.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...