• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Price Endorsement

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Price Endorsement

How does it look this year? I took it this spring (wish I had last year) but cant find my information sheet. I have had high yields&low prices, high prices&low yields, I think I am ready for high yields and high prices in the same year. LOL

Usually how it works is you come to my production sale and buy a calf for $100,000 and later I come to yours a buy a few heifers in the $20,000 range! In the end we both haven't got a lot of money but we sure made the dumbies think we have some awful good cattle!
    The highest bull I ever saw sell was B&H Calgary 82L, a horned herford bull sold at the Calgary Bull Sale for $280,000! He was big...I'll give him that. They had a lot of trouble with semen freezing but eventually he worked. Personally I wasn't overly impressed with him. The best bull I ever saw was a yearling out of the Alberta Test Center. I think he finished 86th out of 100 bulls! He sold for $18,500 to top the sale and was raised by Mcphersons down around Calgary. Heaviest boned bull I ever saw. I saw him again when he was 10 years old and he was still the best bull I ever saw.

Comment

I think that Justamere sold a polled bull for half mill years ago.The hereford digest has those prices in it sometimes.

Comment

Finding it hard to track down high bull prices on the web but I did find a few interesting ones.
        The world record Limo bull was sold in Carlisle England in 2003 - equivilant of $125,000 at todays exchange rate. This one was definately a set up - news that this bull was going to hit that price reached me in Canada ten days before the sale!
        A great Hereford bull born in 1836 England went on to weigh 3920lbs at 9 years old - and there were others in that weight range too. Huge cattle are not just a modern thing.
        A record production dairy cow in the US produced 23 gallons of milk in one day. She was no ordinary cow - 1800lbs, ate 60-70lbs of a grain ration plus the same of alfalfa hay daily washed down with 50-60 gallons of water! She ate 7% of her body weight in dry matter every day and gave 5 times as much milk as a regular Holstein.

Comment

I'll give you the links to the spring prices, revenue insurance values and basis calculations.

Spring prices

http://www.afsc.ca/NR/rdonlyres/e5o46o5vnnthgml4i72c2vlatyldnimpvlni5ghzrvof6he6qd adyhtltkhyvw46kijwct3ifqh3cfwmgqqvhxzxthb/2005 Spring Insurance Prices %28Major%29.pdf

Revenue insurance values.

http://www.afsc.ca/NR/rdonlyres/etkaksjmyjzumpyauazojkyau7rviokfsmgk66ve3zozmxpyc6 no4qyto5j5fofi7sccfw3cld3afmq3yl6gzovt2kb/SectionIII.pdf

Based on what we know today (will change in next 2 months), many of the crops have potential to generate a revenue insurance payment (keeping in mind you only collect half the difference between the spring price and the revenue insurance one). Wheat is border on an SPE payment. Others are not likely to pay on SPE (didn't go through process on all crops).

Comment

I think all crops would be in a payment position based on RIC. Charlie I think that the RIC pays 70% per the announcement/change made late April.

Comment

Digger

You are correct. I had forgotten about the changes in April/the 70 % payout on RIC. Also the fact you didn't have to trigger SPE to get an RIC payment.

I worked the numbers with US $3.50 MGE Dec. futures and the $45 basis - the result is about Cdn $110/tonne. This wouldn't generate a 2 CWRS low SPE payment but you would collect 70 % of the difference between the $140 RI price or $21/tonne.

If western barley hangs in at $120/tonne (using the $20/tonne basis), there would be a $7/tonne RI payment on barley. No SPE payment.

If WCE Nov. canola stays at $285 (using a $15/tonne basis), the RI payment would be $17.50/tonne. No SPE payment.

Comment

An angus bull by the name of Elixir sold for $250,000 for 1/4 or 1/2 interest (can't remeber). He sold over $1,000,000 worth of semen though.

Comment

I remeber now, the highest selling bull in the angus breed in the US was Midland, I believe. Named after Leo McDonell's test station, would you ever use him?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...