• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crops not drying

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crops not drying

This is a message for both farmers and traders. While everyone talks about the big crop out there , no one is talking about our poor weather pattern and the lack of harvesting in the corridor. We ran a canola moisture test today and it was exactly where we were a week ago. About 15% moisture. We have been straight combining barley and wheat ( dessicated and standing)at around 18% moisture with the best day down to 16.5 We consistently have 100 % humdity in the morning and we are lucky if we get down to 35 by late afternoon. We are currently running 2 big combines and with the short days are lucky if we can get 120 acres off in a day. We use to estimate 100 acres a day for 1 machine. While crops are good, between a heavy crop and lodging we are not making big time. Curing of the crop is either slow or not happening. Unless we have huge over capacity of combines, I am already questioning if we can get the crop off before winter. I would like to be proven wrong. Heads up to those who haven't started harvest. Present conditions don't indicate an easy time of it.

To date we've ran two days on grain that hasn't been on aeration or dried. Got another light rain yesterday and the wheat went from 14.5 to 19.5. It will probably cost about 17 cents per bushel to dry. At least the wheat (price) has recovered abit. Yields have been as expected and quality appears to be okay. The forecast is good for the weekend (Edmonton), and I hope the wheels don't fall off (combine, Wednesday) or the header doesn't kiss the grain cart (tonight). Stuff like that happen to everyone or just us?

Comment

Wish we could split the difference with you. We have soybeans coming off at 11% moisture that would normally be closer to 14% (70% yield) and corn at 18% when it would usually still be at 25% (with about a 65% yield). Looks like we might have to add water to the blower for our high moisture corn.

Comment

The only good thing about harvesting tough peas this year is that it takes 3 days before having to do the 10 hour servicing.

Comment

Another thing about harvesting peas that catches your attention real quick is that those mole hills are pure much. Nothing but trouble, sure a good thing the price is so good, what a joke. Oh well there is always next year.

Comment

Crusher you not the only one..

My neighbour came and borrowed my 4440 to move some bales to shore up the doors on a steel shed they were filling with wheat. Then he parked close to a super b and when the driver headed for the field (top speed) the pup hit a back tire of the tractor put a good scratch in the axle, bent the rim a little, 3 good scratches into the tire and demolished the fender. When I heard about the crash I wondered how do you wreck fenders on a 4440 their small high up and nearly completely protected by the tire!

Hoping the combine comes home in one piece?

Comment

Further to my comments re poor harvest weather. Today was the first day when mother nature provided us with dry crops. Barley was dry at about 2:30 and the rain or showers came about 7.00 P.M. Forecasts currently are changing 2 or 3 times a day. If it rains a lot it will give us a chance to catch up on grain drying. If not maybe we can combine and bin without drying

Comment

Using this posting as a way to get feed back on crop progress. Let us know your general location.

Nuisance showers and cool temperatures are keeping progress slow in Northern Alberta. That was the coolest 17 degrees in Edmonton I have felt for a while (i.e. forecast slightly off). Likely just the analyst in me trying to blame someone else for current pricing woes.

Comment

Just north of Edmonton, farmers are generally 35 to 50% done. With the current forecast and last night's rain, we probably won't turn a wheel until the middle of next week.

Comment

Some progress was made in the Lacombe area this week but for the most part it was not dry grain. Elevator still short trying to fill grain cars of canola. Raining good this morning and suspect looking at the forecast harvest will be at a stand still for most of the week. Talking to neighbors I would estimate harvest progress at maybe 10%. We are finding canola is needing at least a month to cure and this is canola swathed at the proper stage of colour change. Makes you wonder about green canola that was swathed late. We are finding green kernals in the cereals that are being straight cut and I have wheat that still has green stems( seeded 12th of May). Good crop but high expense to get it to the bin. Hoping for better things ahead.

Comment

The grain trade is driving me nuts. There seems to be an assumption that if it does not rain then that is favorable harvest weather. Temperatures continue to be well below normal and we are finding the highs only happen for about 2 or 3 hours late afternoon. Yesterday we were still at 70% humdity mid afternoon. We combined standing barley yesterday and it was still testing 19% moisture late afternoon. I'm noticing how many canola fields are still not combined. Usually canola will still get dry when conditions aren't favorable. I see nothing in the near term forecast to suggest things are going to improve. Sooner or later maybe Winnipeg will clue in.

Comment

Craig;

Few have harvested dry wheat in the northern CDN grain belt... especially where the ground is real wet. And the sun is lower and lower each day... less and less heat.

I am sure waiting for global warming... sure would be nice for a week or two in northern SK and AB!

Again... those who took the experts advise on Canola swathing could be in trouble.

Green seed counts are directly purportional to swathing date... not the percentage of colour change.

Those who waited to 60% colour change on a big crop of Canola could be at big risk of not harvesting dry Canola this fall. And still having seed that will not grade #1.

Rule #1 all Canola needs to be mature enough to swath by SEPT 5th... that means 5% colour change... not 60%. I understand that there is only a 1% shrink loss factor between 30% and 60% colour change in swathing timing.

If it is 30Deg.C maybe different... but how often does blistering hot weather occur in the Northern CDN. grain belt after Sept. 5th?

Comment

Showers on the weekend brought harvest to a standstill. I am estimating about 50% of the crop in our area still to be harvested. Forecast suggests little harvesting this week.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...