• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food grains bank canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food grains bank canola

The food grain bank here planted alfalfa into last years RR canola. They never sprayed it and weed & canola took over. Over the summer nothing was done and this fall they checked with monsanto, they said go ahead and combine it. Yielded 30bu/ac 0 input cost
    Now if only we all could do that!

You can, it's only illegal if you get caught

Comment

WD9;

Canola on Canola,

It really looks like Canola actually yeilds better the second year back to back if low disease/pests/weeds the first year.

It looks that we actually can go two years... then break to non-canola. IP canola actually works better in this type of rotation it appears.

How many priced 06 canola while prices were over 300/t?

Comment

Is anyone else dormant seeding canola or wheat this fall?

Comment

TOM4CWB, research shows that a good rotation, minimum 4 years between same crop, produces the best yield, least disease, etc produces consistently the highest yield. That said, loosing money for 3 years while waiting to grow canola again isn't the best economic decision either. Canola carries the farm usually so it really is a tough decision between agronomics and economics.

Comment

My renter seeded canola this year on my land, so thats 5 years conola out of the the last 6. Conventional tillage,RR variety yielded over 40bu/ac The canola snow canola rotation works, dozens of guys do up here N. AB

Comment

Certainly a workable short term strategy but with huge long term consequence. With good agronomics that crop may have yielded 55 bu, but economics rules. One day Mother Nature will ask for payment and it will be with compounded interest. Do a web search on clubroot, already found in a few places in AB. It seems to continue spreading and the only solution appears to be a minimum of 7 years rotation. No country in the world has yet to find a cure.

I'm not an environmentalist, but monocultures in such a disease susceptible species worry me that it may not be able grown on a 4 year rotation eventually - economics or not.

Comment

WD9 That is along the lines of what Tom4cwb told me last year!

I have a tote bag of binvigor saved but I have not decided what I'am planting next year. If the germination is still good I will likely put it in.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...