• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polar bear

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polar bear

Does one hunt polar bear with a single shot or does the bear hunt you?
    It would appear I may be wall to wall tough feed wheat.
    Does anyone have anything colorful for the regional loans officer that I can use?
    Firstly, creative sales based on falling numbers or protein or gluten, or what have you? Surely Sask. farmers had experience last year?
    Secondly, from AB- am I still breathing based on crop insurance full meal deal coverage?
    Thank you.

lohner;

Interesting that the CDN grades are based on stand alone quality, where US grades have a fair average quality component.

Farmers in the US win big time on the FAQ portion of the US system. This is a judgement call I make because the lowest quality CDN wheat gets paid the least (more often than not below the cost of production) and the FAQ blends the (low quality)US wheat up rather than down as the CDN system does.

This brings the premium cheque book out for special sales... which the CWB claims they create... IMHO the US system does this automatically (creates a need for premium quality shipments)which the CWB easily then claims, falsly.

Proof.

How much feed wheat does the US export?

I have never even seen a price... let alone a shipment loaded into a boat from a US port.

I see a add in the western producer... 64lb high px feed wheat. If this has a falling # above 300... which much CDN feed wheat has... this would NEVER be sold as feed wheat in the US grading system.

The CDN grading system hurts those who can least afford it... the most...

Droughted wheat is down graded beause of drought... while frosted grain... with simular properties is down graded in a simular manner... both are factors which don't lower the falling number.

Shriveled kernels are a seperate grade factor (in the US grading system)with a specific discount schedule... which much more reflects the lower milling yield than the CDN system of grading.

THen historically the CWB charges the most for a feed wheat export license... ironically the grain they don't want to market; but instead give away.

When will we grain farmers grow up... and take that shot (at the Polar Bear)instead of cowering from our sod huts hopeing someone else will?

Comment

I think everyone agrees that we need a better system for identifying quality characturistics in wheat and in moving this product forward to the appropriate customer.

I think we need to take caution in moving to a full US system (talking grading only). Customer needs and willingness to pay costs/premiums should be the drivers in decisions. As an example, there will always be a need to identify 1CWRS 13.5 protein wheat for the Japanese market and move it forward almost in a way that maintains its quality reputation from the farm gate to the Japanese miller.

I note we almost have a US blending system in the malt barley with the street malt programs that grain companies offer for export sales/residual quantities for the domestic market. This system doesn't work so well for the Canadian domestic maltsters. I note our system (in the case of malt barley) is almost the exact opposite of the US where there is more farmer/maltster contracting and processes where product is moved direct farm to malt plant (no blending).

Comment

Charlie;

How much US DNS do the Japanese buy vs CWRS?

Dosn't Japan buy more DNS than CWRS per yr?

And.

What premium do western CDNs (who produce CWRS) get over Portland/Seattle DNS prices? Can you Show me a premium over US prices paid by Japan for DNS?

Comment

The answer to your questions are yes - Japan does buy more US hard red spring wheat than Canadian but it needs to be highlighted the prices paid (depending on the year) are higher than posted values even for Portland (higher specifications than other markets). Japanese buy Cadillac and pay for it both sides of the border.

I will leave the second question to others. Are the premium prices paid by certain markets paid to farmers who grow the grain or are they shared with everyone through the pooling process?

My only comment (again talking grading/blending only) is that Canada needs to ensure the grading/logistics system meets the needs of customers and that the rewards are captured by western Canadian farmers.

Comment

Charlie;

On the sharing of premium prices by all wheat producers in the CDN "designated area"... then why is there such a discrepency in US lower quality payments... that our 3CWRS/feed is valued so much more,(than in Canada) when delivered to the US system?

Experience shows that if my CDN wheat (by CDN grades feed or #3)falling number is above 300, and the bushel weight above 60, the base price is very close to #1DNS with a very minor discount for HVK and shriveled kernels.

This matches the CGC comments about HVK and the milling value of wheat for flour. Frost and Drought damage reduce the milling yield... but experience proves CDN grades and payments do not reflect economic loss from these factors.

This brings us back to the Polar Bear.

Are CDN wheat grades/payments a social program that is administered by the CWB... to pay more to those who have lower yields... and not actually reflect real customer value/needs for the wheat products we grow?

Comment

Polar bears stalk man because in their environ, all that moves is food.
              My reference was to my current debt, although it works for board.
              However, what do I do to make more than $2.09 @ the bin!
              Mar 31 is deadline for %75 sold

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...