• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milling Oats vs Milling Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That rant has the resonance of a fully trained, unaccountable Liberal,that just graduated at the top of Minister Alcock's big L class, sporting a fully developed 'culture of entitlement' attitude.

Getting back to distilleries....do they buy grain directly from producers, or do they buy CWB grain?
    Does 'whiskey grain' go through the Board or bypass the Board? Silverback, rye is not a Board grain (THank goodness), charliep, do you know anyone selling wht/bly directly to distilleries? There are distilleries right across Canada.

For example, the CWB allows ethanol plants to bypass Board marketing and Board pooling and sell directly to ethanol plants. That's CWB policy today. They chose to discard marketing and pooling in this case.

BUT

If if I try and sell that same wht/bly to a buyer in Utah,Vader will claim that sale 'hurts Board marketing and pooling and I will be denied the export license.

Here again, it's the producer who is hobbled by the CWB.

Parsley

Comment

I am not trying to convince anyone to switch sides Vader, I just want simple answers

I asked you whether I can operate a flour mill using my grain on my farm?
      Can I operate a flour mill using my own grain if that mill is in a city or town?? Can I process that flour into some other product and sell it to whoever I want?? Do those products have to be sold in Western Canada? Do those products have to be sold in Canada? Can those products be sold in the U.S.?? Europe?? Africa??

Simple questions. If you want me to double space them to make it easier, just let me know.

Comment

Silverback;

1. The mill will need to be non-commercial... on your own property for your own use.

2. You will be given an exemption by the CWB... at their own leasure... because they feel it is the right thing to do... not because the CWB Act requires them to do so.

3. Right now the exemption allows you to move intra-provincial and export into other provinces within Canada... without buyback from the CWB pool accounts.

4. There are no other exemptions or conditions that I am aware of... Vader can add some more if he knows of more.

5. I have no clue how long contractually your exemption would be in force for...

Until the CWB considers you a "commercial" milling business... I believe are the words used...

At which time you will lose your exemption and be required to buy your grain for milling from the CWB.

Does this help?

You can take a milling course from:

International Association of Operative Millers

5001 College Blvd., Suite 104
        Leawood, Kansas USA
        66211-1618

www.iaom.info
        info@iamo.info

This year it costed $612.50 and is done by mail by Cooespondence Course 1 thru 5... with $175 of this for Active Membership Dues.

If interested you can call them at 913.338.3377 they are great folks and very helpful!

Comment

Thanks, I might just look into that. Like you say, the issue is when does it become commercial? Who decides that? Sounds like there is lots of wiggle room for a beaurocrat to decide how I make a living?

Comment

Vader:

So We as farmers just have to suck it up. The CWB is going to do what they are going to do.

My rotation is set for cereals this year. I'll have to grow some wheat. I have options, PPo's, basis contract,but I'll probably get beat on that,so go with low risk. I expect a #2 13.0% HRSW,Will take the low intial price offered or an EPO which costs from 3 to 9 cents to get 80% of the PRO. Then over the course of 12-16 mos. I get interms and interms on the interms and finals on the finals,till I'm paid in full. But hey I'll suck it up.
            Thank god for oats,feed barley, rye. Yeah I got a life.

Comment

Don't get me going on the malt barley lottery.

Comment

Tom, thanks for answering Silverbacks questions. Too much for me.

Jackflash, you don't have to suck up anything. Do your best to change the landscape in whatever productive way you can. .....or you can do like parsley and tom and simply keep posting here.

Comment

Vader: I agree we are sparring on this thread like two punch drunk boxers.
                  We are doing all we can to stay productive.

Parsley's and Tom4CWB's views on how we need change in Western Canada, in the marketing of wheat and barley,are valid. My support lies there.

Comment

FYI,
                    For years, the CWB would only allow a farmer to have a few bags of grain milled at the local feed mill for his own use. It was recorded in his permit book. I presume the implication was if the farmer didn't grovel, his family could starve.

A farmer could not even take his feed grain and sell it into another province, as we do today.

That CWB policy when Mr. Sommerville was charged, by the CWB, for taking the feed grain he grew in Saskatchewan, across the border into Alberta, to feed to his cattle in Alberta.

The CWB gestapo charged him. The CWB fought him all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada, where Sommerville won the courtcase, and his action resulted in farmers today, being able to ship feed grain into Alberta or Ontario feed lots, directly bypassing Board marketing and Board pooling.

He ffought for the open feed market we enjoy today, guys.

Today, the CWB has abandoned their feed policy, but they still enforce their "human consumption" policy that jails farmers for selling wht/bly for "human consumption" into other provinces and for export.

If you examine the Canadian Wheat Board Act AND regulations carefully, you will not find the words "human consumption" in either one. Try it.

Get the act up online, go to Edit, and then go to Find(on this page), and type in "human consumption". Scroll.

It's a phrase the CWB has invented to suit their policy, while telling farmers it's the law.

It's absent.

Meantime, the CWB's Deana Allen, in charge of Farmer Relations,using farmer dollars, will continue to preach CWB policy about human consumption,, saying it's in the CWB Act.

This kind of governance has to stop.

This kind of governance depletes farmers' pooling accounts and expands the CWB staff.

Parsley

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...