• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola, How low will it go?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola, How low will it go?

Canola seems to have dipped to new levels on all months today.

I believe the final production estimate is due out tomorrow.
    Will it drive prices even lower or are most traders already come to terms that we are dealing the a 9MMT crop? Or are we due for even more losses tommorow?

I'm begining to believe that we will see a canola price in most areas that begins with a $4.??/bu.

What does everyone else think?
    Is everyone already sold? What are your marketing strategies for the upcoming months?

And please TOM4CWB and Vader do not make this forum into a debate on the CWB. You both make good points but lets keep this about canola.
    We have enough threads debating the CWB already.

The monthly charts on my DTN go back to June 1992. Nearby Canola posted a low in July 2000 @ $241t and a low again in Nov. 2004 @ 243.2t.

Today's low was $240.60.

The 2000 low was a dish bottom that after several months turned into a bull market that took prices to $368t by july 2001. That bull market ended in April 2004.

It's been a downward slide since then.

My best guess is that we will be building another dish type bottom in which demand can build and supplies shrink in order to start a new long lasting bull market.

A bottom will be put in eventually.

We may even be seeing it today.

But until new demand appears, I suspect that we will continue to trate sideways to lower. At least for a few more months.

Whenever things look dismal. I always look at the long term charts and they show that the market will go back up again.

The million dollor question is when.

Comment

Recently attended a Informa outlook. The message their was a low side of $5-30 short term and $300 upside long-term. Not to bright in anyone's books.

Comment

nw9flyn;

Where do you project the CDN$ is headed by Sept 1/06? .92?

Almost $100/t exchange difference between the low in the CDN$ and now. Add another $35/t lost by this time next year?

I would be surprised to see Canola go under $210/t.

Comment

Wouldn't second guess canola lows.

I was going to put in a suggestion of sell the rumor/buy the fact after today's Statscan report but the monster 9.7 mln tonne crop is going to be a shock. Average canola yields were 32.6 bu/acre (37.9 AB, 31.5 SK and a lousy 25.7 MB).

CBT soyoil also started to collapse yesterday. The loonie is also headed higher.

Comment

Tom,

I think you are right when you talk of a CDN 0.90$.

Does anyone have any experience with call options on the CDN$?

I will be gone for a day or two and will not be able to check this site.

I look forward to everyone's comments when I get back.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...