• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB

I am the last person do claim that the CWB is serving farmer well, but let me throw this out there for the like of Tom and others.

Fact: In the US three grain companies control 80% of corn exports. Archer Daniel Midland, Cargill and Zen Noh. You tell me where the hell a free market capitalist is going to capitalize on grain sales in a market like that. Just look past your Ag Ec degrees for one second and stare reality in the face.

Lakenheath, obviously you believe that because these multinational giants have succeeded in their chosen industry they must be up to no good.

Ford has had awsome success in the pickup industry, are they up to no good? What about Caterpillar in the construction equipment industry.

Kelloggs, General Mills and Post probably have a larger percentage of the North American cereal market is this a black mark against a free market in the cereal food industry?

There are no laws preventing others from entering into this market but the one law that is preventing them is the law of demand. I've tasted the no name stuff or the lesser known brands but they never are as good. If my kids want fruit loops it has to be Fruit Loops from Kelloggs.

What's wrong with allowing consumers choices? If one company does much better than others, it's probably because they offer a superior product or service. This causes the others to learn new things and adjust or die.

But that doesn't happen in CWB grains does it! No one else is allowed to try and do it better. Were just left with the the best the CWB can do and nothing more.

You obviously think that the best results can be achieved without competition as the driver. I don't.

Competition drives ingenuity, and ingenuity drives efficencies and growth.

You can't decide ingenuity at a board meeting or a cabinet meeting. And just pass a motion and it will be so.

Only fools believe that.

Comment

A ture believer in North America's bastardized form of anti-Darwinian capitalism. A farmer being to be farmed himself. A typical "I love my multinational chemical companies, because they allow me to produce and profit" type of guy. You guys don't realize we are in an incredible crisis. The driver of this crisis is one thing alone....over-production. Simple. I would challenge anyone to contratict that. So what is our solution. Grow more. So 4 grain companies out of the USA can sell more of it around the world for less than the cost of production. Brilliant.

Comment

OK lakenheath, It's over production.

How do we solve the problem?

Who decided who has to cut back?

Who is going to put the Genie back in the bottle?

How does me growing 15bpa of koshia infested canola help me survive?

Maybe we all are headed for a big fall?

But maybe I'm wrong here but by the tone of your last post I would swear you'd like that to happen.

Comment

I was using an extreme example to bring across a simple point. Our problems do not lie soley with the Canadian Wheat Board. You guys seem to figure getting rid of the board would solve some (if not all in some cases) of the problems in agriculture. I all I say is give your heads a shake. The inefficiencies of the CWB is the tip of the iceberg.

Comment

lakenheath;

What does the CWB have to be afraid of if they are so good?

Pork production proves that producers will stick together and grow the "pie" to a bigger total: not split the pie up and get a smaller pie in the end!

Same happens in Beans in ALberta.

A positive outlook is key to farming today.

Faith in a destiny that WE WILL DO BETTER.

THIS is NOT an option, it is a hope, faith, an opportunity; and state of mind.

Comment

Are you kidding with pork!?

Look at North Carolina. In ten years they went from over 100,000 pork producers to 2 or 3 multi-national intensive livestock hog barns, where countless scientific studies have shown irreversable damage to the local and surrounding environment (which a few pay-offs to the government, was over-looked). What the hell piece of pie did the the small to medium size hog operators get other than a minimum wage job in the nearest city!!!!!!!!! And crap quality pork at the local superstore.

Comment

2 or 3 multi-nationals with hundreds of intensive pork barns.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...