• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cwb extravagance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vader;

It couldn't be that the pools helped take the AB gov. down with us in the 1930's;

Because of this goofy risk management idea of holding all of the risk ourselves?

Charlie; like to share why the Feds let even the AB gov. fall into arrears in the 30's...

I sure would be interested in learning about this history.

Comment

Vader, just wanted to say thankyou for keeping on posting despite it seems you are alone, which I know you are not, you're just brave enough to post. We all learn a lot by hearing different sides and arguments, so keep it coming. If you didn't there would only be a couple one sided posts and that would be the end. So keep it up.

Comment

You guys are pathetic. Damn right the CWB directors should fly 1st Class. The CWB is a world class organization. They have a reputation to uphold and an image to portray. You guys are like sad politicians grasping at any little thing to kick and scream about. Get a grip.

Comment

lakenheath

Do you currently farm? & deal with the CWB and if you do for how many years have you grown board grains?

Comment

I farm and deal with the CWB....why?

Comment

Lakenheath, I don't see how flying 1st class has anything to do with building reputation. The image portrayed is one of pompous arrogance. You would think, when they are paying less than COP they would show some restraints with their spending. Vader posted below that his family is starving due to the low prices the cwb is paying. sheesh!!

Comment

wedino. My family is not starving. The low prices for wheat and barley are not low because of the CWB. They are low because the supply exceeds the current demand by a measley 135 million tonnes.

Lets make a corporate decision to plant 135 million less acres of wheat next year and see what the price would do. Normal plantings yield over 600 million tonnes. Let's just everybody grow 25 percent less wheat all over the world and I suspect we would make more money than anyone's wildest expectations.

In fact I would like a "do over". Lets all not put any wheat up for sale until a customer comes and asks for it. Then we will set the price and grow under contract for those who are willing to pay the asking price. So let's manage the supply instead of growing as much as is humanly possible with all of todays technology and then "hanging it all out" for the whole world to see.

On the subject of the post. Most businesses who want their people to fly overseas and then expect them to be able to conduct business use first class. I flew overseas as a tourist. Jet lag can seriously hamper your ability to function for some time after the flight. It's ok if you have a couple of weeks to recover and all you are going to do is some sightseeing. I don't think that farmers who want to be represented properly by the CWB in Hong Kong have a problem with Directors flying first class.

Comment

The two WCWGA people are just tourist's. I don't really want their contribution. They usually just cause us headaches.

Comment

At least the two Wheat Growers are there on their own nickel, or the nickel of those farmers who support them, which is more than I can say for the 4 first-class tourists from the CWB. These CWB politicians always seem to know what's good for me, and are so morally bankrupt that they have no problem dipping into the pool accounts to spend MY money on THEIR political agenda.

That's the difference here Agstar. You don't want the Wheat Growers contribution. Fine, then don't support them. But where's my choice? Because of this monopoly I'm forced to contribute to Ritter's line of crap whether I want to or not.

Comment

Mudinyoureye.

I agree with the CWB wasting our money on the trip.

One would suggest that sitting in Ottawa/Winnipeg next to the CWB minister/finance Minister would be MUCH more effective in looking out for our needs with respect to WTO issues.

The way most folks come off is that WCWGA can some how directly tell the GOC negotiator what to do... and the CWB directors are there to stop this from happening. WRONG.

The Prime Minister is still the PM till election day... and is still in charge of Canada. Most folks SAY the PM will be PM the day after as well.

So why is the CWB wasting my money? Is their position so unstable that they themselves think they are about to crash?

Or did I miss something?

Comment

The unfortunate thing with WTO is you usually get what you ask for. Canola learned a hard lesson by not being at the previous talks and got slammed internationally by tarriffs. They got what we asked for, nothing. The presence is there now and just like all the other players looking out for their interests, supply management, the CWB, Cafta, on and on. If you're not there to convince negotiators at the time, you loose - and big. No-one goes there with a concrete position, it is dynamic which is why they call them talks. That is why the CWB is there also, protect what they have, they have to, it is their job. Being a ministerial meeting, sending farmers to talk and convince is key also.

Comment

Take a look at the news reports and other countries farmer presence, I submit that we don't have enough representatives not too many.

Comment

JD4ME, the ministers are the only ones that get to speak. Influence of the ministers is what is important, so to be fair as long as there is balance in numbers between the ag groups, it is fair. When there is 40 SM people for 1 Cafta person - or vice versa, things get skewed. Fortunately this time around, it is a bit more balanced. It is also important to understand it is a long road ahead yet, and the costs are high.

Comment

WD9;

The fact that Canada has not put foreword a reasonable position is the problem.

If lobby groups can actually change the CDN negotiators position... there is even a bigger issue to deal with... the process itself is flawed.

THIS speaks volumes to the weakness of our position as Canadians, and the lack of coherence the GOC has at the WTO.

We appear as fools to the rest of the world... and hypocrites... Hyper to put the emphasis on our hypocrisy as negotiators.

That any nation could take Canada's position seriously...

After what we stood for in the past...

A sad day for Canada.

Comment

Agreed, the nic-name for Canada in the negotiations is schizophrenic. Kinda like a playground, only with highly educated people. Canada is considered a G1 - doesn't really fit into any group. Good bargaining power there.

The Canadian group of producers representing ag has remained civil, unlike the other talks, but time will tell. Right now there is still the issue of market access and sensitive products and how to move forward on those. Hopefully the ministers can come to grips with how to deal with those. So right now its either on the verge of collapse or a deal, don't know. Maybe tommorrow holds more promise.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...