• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeding Intentions?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, one farmer with a brain. And others stating that land rent at $65.00 and acres is a bargain!!!??? Where the hell did you get your education from? A shoe box. Do you plan on writing a book call "How to Lose Money Even Faster". Some farmers are #$&*ing morons. Farmers are the sole driver of the price of land and land rent. Give your heads a shake. Crunch some numbers. Not, whine and cry about the state of agriculure and beg the government for money when you are paying $65.00 and acre for rent. Damn that is sickening.

Comment

I was rather shocked from the first posts in this thread as well. You can rent some very good land in our area, in north central Saskatchewan for $30/acre. Have a little more freight, and maybe some slight differences, but I doubt it is a $35 difference!!

Comment

So is the extra money that the Alta. producers get from saved freight, extra pym'ts etc. just getting past on to landlords. Not stopping at pimary producers.
        If so what is this doing for the ag economy. I would think that a lot of it is paid back to the goverments in income taxes.

Comment

You have to look at the dynamics around Calgary that don't apply everywhere. An interesting factor that got the ball rolling to higher rental prices is cattle feeders bidding up land close to their lots for silage (within the 4 to 8 mile radius). Landlords took those values as reality and the benchmark for what they should be charging.

Good, bad or indifferent, Alberta land prices/rental is also higher than in Saskatchewan reflecting provincial government programs, access to off farm income and a hot economy contributing to higher land values. My comment is that land rent has stayed high. That has yet to be seen this year.

A comment I am getting is that there will be a lot of re-jigging as traditional renters give up some of their poorer quality/farther distance stuff and replace with land that has a better fit. Location is everything. Implications of some of the bigger operators either reducing size or not being able to farm will also impact rental prices - will vary community to community.

Didn't mean to take over the thread but rental is an early warning of things to come I use. Another I will watch is summerfallow (traditional or chem fallow).

Comment

The land rent in the areas within 100 miles of Calgary are very competitive. The local feed market makes feed barley worth $2.10-2.20/bus picked up at the bin for good 2 row barley. Calgary area is tied for the lowest cost rail freight to Vancouver on the prairies. Total deductions, picked up on farm for CWB grains is in the $42-44/tonne range. And the biggest factor is huge oil and gas well drilling programs. Lots of initial cash and lots of annual rental.

All this together makes for a very competive land purchase and rental rates. Yes landlords do very well. Lots of landowners get between $40-100/acre from the gas well leases and land rental for agriculture.

There is NO land that comes up for rent. If you want to expand you either pay up when your neighbor comes to ask or you pass for 8-10 years until another parcel comes up for rent. This is for a 10 mile radius from home. Lots of land gets sold to either large farms or local hutterite colonies.

From where I farm, the $65/ac rent is a bargain compared to the $40/ac that I have to pay.

Not sure where the price of land or rent would have to be at in Sask to be comparable. The higher rail freight to the coast and the higher truck freight to the Alberta feedlots is such a big cost.

Last year for me the cost for chem,seed,fuel,fertilizer,machinery and crop/hail ins came to $120/acre. Add $40 rent is $160/ac. Crop of barley was 80 bus/ac @2.25/bushel to gross $180/ac. Only leaves $20/ac. Not sure how this compares to most areas.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...