• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Controls Grain Handling?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tough goof,

I know this is serious shit to you. I have been "playing" with my farm for over twenty years. My great grandfather homesteaded in this district back in the 1800's. Dont tell me that this is not serious shit to me. Every farmer out there has been through hell and back or he wouldn't be in this game today.

This is a tough game that we are in. All you have to do is go to any farm meeting and look at all of the grey hairs. It is the same in the US and in Europe. Farmers all over the world are facing declining commodity prices and rising input costs. I am surprised that in my five short years as a wheat board director you can determine that I am the cause of this world wide phenomenon.

I am not shy about answering questions about what is mistakenly called the "monopoly". I am not shy about answering any questions about anything. I do get tired of repeating myself and I is sometimes daunting to be tag-teamed by so many accusations. I probably spend 10 times more time here on angry-ville as I should. Sometimes the negativity gets me down.

I don't mind constructive debate but it shows a complete lack of maturity to engage in personal attack like you did. I forgive your youthful exuberance. I was like that not so long ago.

Rod Flaman

Comment

T4 ,your silence about rail monopolies says volumes about your support for them and the WCWGA support. It seems monopolies are good when it suits your agenda. I guess the rest of the anti-CWB people are also happy with being gouged by the railways and you are happy with the freight deductions on your cheques.

Comment

Rod Flaman if your so sick of repeating yourself then don't bother anymore you have really pissed me off, so you come on here to spy on what the guys are thinking about the CWB, by using your Vader disguise. Kiss my ass you talk about personal attacks eg Tough Goof. Your're on the Board of Directors as my representation, what a joke thats why the CWB is what it is today because of old farmers like yourself representing young guys like me. I don't share the same beliefs as you. Rod what are the ages of the 10 Board of Directors??? If I go broke with dual marketing whats the differnce, I'm going to go broke with the Board if nothing changes. Rod you took over your Grandfathers farm from the 1800's that is why you can still play this game because you've been farming for so long you can ride this out with your seventies money. If you were in my boots trying to do it with starting with nothing at 24, you would want changes to CWB too

Comment

I can see the value to some degree of the confidential respect of grain sales. However you can go anywhere on this computor and find out the quanity and quality of our production. The CWB posts it The CGC posts it Stats Can. post it Grain companies every Ag reporter posts it.
          Most of these companies are funded by we farmers. In a world of supply and demand where we grow a supposively higher quallity, in demand, product wouldn't be in our best interest to keep this a secret and use it as a maketing tool?

Comment

Toughgoofit
            Here we go again, I for one think it was brave and good of Rod to continue posting after he was "outed" personal attacks although part of any political game anymore unfortunately, should have no place here.
            If you are not able to answer with facts and calm common decency I suggest you get your help with your anger elsewhere.
            While I may not agree with what is said by someone here I defend anyones right to post here, if it is done in a propoer decent way.
            I think you owe Rod and this rest of the readers an apology and if you can supply positive proactive statements not filled with rhetoric and baseless staetments I look forward to reading them.
            I sure others that post on here would agree with this sentiment.

Comment

Agstar77;

The Railways ARE works for the general advantage of Canada... and as such can be administrated in this manner.

I don't see why the CWB should lose any control over the railway, or it's agents; just because I can choose who I sell my wheat or barley to. What do you know that I do not?

Comment

I agree with JD TG needs help to shed this anger. I can understand if the bills are coming due that he is lashing out at anyone that he feels is to blame for low grain prices. Personal attacks on Rod are not acceptable. He obviously hasn't farmed long enough to deal with the crappy side of farming. The days of starting farming without help are over. The sheer size of corporate farms and the pressures from suppliers and buyers has made farming riskier. I would not advise anyone to start farming without a backup plan, the stress is just to great.

Comment

Ag77;

Will your statements help TG to solve the problem he has? I don't think so.

A little change would give some hope that the iron fist of the CWB would be deflected for those who need to be responsible for their own farms.

Interesting that you said nothing about the railways after your rascal type shots at me, to bring fear into the hearts of those who read these threads.

Comment

I cannot solve TG's problem but I can comment on his inappropriate and immature posts. My comments on the railways are meant to see if people believe all monopolies are inherently bad or some can be tolerated if they fit ones' agenda. Also I don't think you can separate removing monopoly powers from the CWB without other drastic measures to assure true competition in all facets of the grain handling and transportation system. There seems to be some that feel the railways need their monopoly. On the the other hand some of these same people feel the CWB can function without theirs'. You don't see the paradox in this position?

Comment

Perhaps why more value adding needs to occur on the prairies - to create opportunities that don't require shipping commodity else where.

Vader - I am curious about your thoughts on the CWB entering into an area that is currently a domestic/open market situation. Both canola (by product meal) and feed wheat (by product dried distillers grains) are outside the mandate of the CWB single desk. Would the CWB compete for wheat and canola into these plans in the open market? What impact would this have on current players? Where would the money come from to build these plants? Would you swap CWB access/investment in these markets for a more open market approach to wheat/barley destined for the domestic millng industry/maltsters? Similar question export market?

Comment

Just to follow up, why won't this organization push into feedlots the way Poundmaker did at Lannigan, Sk (hopefully spelled right). Other ethanol plants may not have the currently wasted heat of refineries to dry distillers grains the way Husky does at Lloyd so the business model has to look at something different.

Again, just thinking outside the box?

Comment

Just to follow up, why won't this organization push into feedlots the way Poundmaker did at Lannigan, Sk (hopefully spelled right). Other ethanol plants may not have the currently wasted heat of refineries to dry distillers grains the way Husky does at Lloyd so the business model has to look at something different.

Again, just thinking outside the box?

Comment

JD4Me,Agstar, My bills are paid just so you know. My reason for my anger has to do with guys like Rod Flaman who say one thing and then totally contradicts himself the next I could give a ton of examples on these threads where I've read this. I didn't know that to post on this you had to have a university degree. I don't ever claim to know as much as you guys,but because I'm 24 does not mean I haven't seen the tough times of agriculture. I've seeded 8 crops my first 2 were good now it has simply been survival. I will watch closeley to what you guys post and the next time you get mad I will be all over you. I've seen when Parsley & Tom4cwb(sorry to use you guys as an example) have asked Rod very good questions and he simply won't reply. I will ask again Rod why can't I have all of my money up front from the CWB??

Comment

TG,

I am 100% on your side; Why can't the CWB provide a true daily price, with daily delivery opportunities?

At least present the opportunity... and don't expect me to swallow that it is not possible!

Canola, pulses, special crops, you name it, all offer a choice at some price... but not the CWB.

Why?

If the CWB is so smart and knows the market so well, figure out the cost of holding the grain, and pay us a cash price!

Then the CWB could make gobs of money and do whatever they want with the profit!

I thought this is what the CWB contingency fund was for!

Comment

I agree with JD in that this forum should be used more for constructive discussion rather than personal attacks. Times are tough and only getting harder. I would recommend those to go to www.marketforum.com and scroll down to peak oil: Article from the independent, I warn you it is a long read but well worth it. The just of it is we are possibly running out of oil. I have to say we need to become more constructive with thoughts in relation to what we might be facing down the not to distance future. So I applaud Vader on his vision of the future, whether right or wrong. Perhaps those that are anti board can give a vision to what the future holds without a board. Not looking for any fight as I’m just so confused. If we think outside the box as they say in relation to the above article, could we be growing grains and oilseeds not for food consumption, but for the energy dependent society we all have become? Now let’s say this is maybe possible, will we as producers be better off with a board returning money to the farm gate or as I think it will be multinationals returning money to their shareholders. Now don’t get me wrong I think everyone should make some profit . What I see now are crushers making a profit for their shareholders and farmers losing at the farm gate. Could the board possibly look much different in the future retaining a monopoly similar to OPEC in renewable resources under a Kyoto environment Will the act for the monopoly as we have it now ever be replaced if we were to need it in the future under a renewable resource. I’m not sure of the answers but let’s really think hard about what we are asking

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...