• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Wheat Marketing Proposal for Aust

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Wheat Marketing Proposal for Aust

The revelations that we have all seen in the past week from the Cole Inquiry, have shown for once and for all time that the current wheat marketing arrangements are fundamentally flawed. This is clearly due to the power that the Act gives to one company, AWB Ltd, and the apparent lack of controls over the activities of that company.

The AWB Export Monopoly has now caused considerable damage to Australia’s reputation in international grain markets. Overseas buyers may well have reservations about dealing with AWB in light of the allegations that have been made to the Cole Inquiry. Unfortunately, for Australian grain growers, the affairs of the AWB Export Monopoly that are being aired in the Inquiry, are coming to light only a few years after the unmitigated disaster of the NSW Grains Board export monopoly collapse in the late 90’s.

The AGEA which has been proposing changes to Australia’s Export Monopoly wheat marketing arrangements for over 20 years, has now developed the following “Proposed Wheat Industry Model” as the best possible way for industry to move forward.

PROPOSED WHEAT INDUSTRY MODEL

• The Wheat Marketing Act be amended to remove AWB’s export monopoly powers.

• A Regulatory Body be established, with authority to register bulk wheat exporters from Australia.

• The Regulatory Body establish criteria (financial capacity / international commodity trading experience / reputation and credibility) that exporters must meet, in order to qualify as a registered bulk wheat exporter.

• The Regulatory Body to regularly review registered bulk wheat exporters in order to ensure compliance with their status as a registered bulk wheat exporter.

• The Regulatory Body to maintain and report Australian wheat shipments and statistics.

• Registered bulk wheat exporters to have no restrictions on tonnage, or destination, of Australian wheat exports.

• The complete deregulation forthwith of the wheat export trade in containers

• The changes be in place by July 1 2006, for the commencement of the 2006/07 season

It is important for growers that these changes are accompanied by a smooth transition.

The AGEA believes that it’s proposed changes will deliver that outcome, and revitalize this crucial industry.

Under this model it is envisaged that some of Australia’s largest existing grain businesses including CBH, Graincorp, Elders and ABB would be registered wheat exporters, as well as major international grain trading companies.

The major Australian companies, and the Australian based international companies are already buying millions of tonnes of wheat in Australia for the domestic market and for delivery to AWB’s export pools so growers already have good relationships and experience in dealing with companies, other than AWB.

AWB would need to apply to be a registered bulk wheat exporter, no different to any other company.

A W B would be expected to maintain a very large market share under this arrangement.

The companies mentioned above already run large wheat pools in Australia, and it would be expected that AWB would continue to run national pools. Competition in running pools will provide growers with more choice and ensure that pools are run efficiently.

From a growers’ perspective under this system, sales will still be to the same companies that they have been delivering to for many years. Growers will be delivering to the same silos, and wheat will be transported on the same trains, and shipped from the same ports, as at present.

A national quality testing organization would be introduced to test all wheat shipments, and report back to the Regulatory Body.

Under the proposed system, Australian wheat trade would continue to be marketed through a number of other companies, in the unfortunate event that an Australian company became involved in a trade dispute. The risk and cost of any dispute would rest with the particular registered exporter involved and not with the growers as is the case under the current system.

This is a clear benefit for Australian wheat growers and Australia as a whole.

A G E A PHILOSOPHY

“… competition, represented by open and contestable markets, is the most efficient means of delivering the maximum benefits to the grains industry, and the community as a whole.”
    (A G E A Mission Statement - November 2003)

COMPETITION 2000

“… the committee concluded that it had not been presented, with nor could it find, clear credible and unambiguous evidence that, on balance, the current arrangements for the marketing of export wheat are of net benefit to Australian wheat growers or to the Australian community”
    (7.5 Concluding Remarks in part - N C P Review Wheat Marketing Act 1989 December 2000)

Ends

I think that Harper handled it very well.

Comment

HMMM: George Bush phones Harper and they chat for sixteen minutes? I wonder if Harper asked Bush if he could get his Ambassador to say something dumb so Harper could look good by roasting him? Probably not, right?
      I mean in the big picture how important is it if US submarines or icebreakers go through the northwest passage? Who really cares? Maybe we should fight a war over the ice bergs or something!

Comment

I had considered it was a setup to make harper look strong,before he gave away the farm to the US. But we should give harper the benifit of the doubt for now. (no conspirisy)
        Its more likley Just a sign that relations havent changed a bit.and never will.

Comment

malleefarmer

Thanks for posting this.

Is there an Agri-ville type website in Australia where a Canadian farmer can observe the debate in Australia over these proposed changes? I assume the discussion is every bit as intense in your neck of the world as it is here.

Comment

charliep i dont know of any sites like this in aust thats why im here i know i say little but i can post delevopments twice a week if people are interseted or anything i think worthy of a post for that matter

Comment

Just to check, an Australian farmer can sell directly to a domestic processor? I also understand that a farmer that has identified a smaller export market for their wheat and can show this sale will not impact the overall pool/AWB sales program can be granted an export licence and do the business directly outside the pooling system.

I might note that Canada has looked at the AWB over time with a lot of interest. What is interesting to me is how the changes started - a general move by government to deregulate all industries and not just grain.

The other is the structure and the division responsibility into different groups (sales/export activities, operation of the pricing pools, ownership of bulk handling facilities and a separate group that reviews business performance/reports to stakeholders).

Don't know if this works or doesn't work but it provides an interesting working model for potential western Canadian changes.

Comment

chaliep yes wheat can be exported out of aust,but a export lisence has to be applied for,but you guessed it AWB issue the liscenses.
                Recently in W Aust a company applied to export 100,000 tonnes of wheat to a flour mill in Asia which it owns 40% off and of course it was rejectedby awb now how dumb is that to apply to sell wheat to yourself.The company paid a $10 per tonne premium reason given by awb if they granted liscense it would create a dangerous precedence.
                So th company involved bought wheat from another country!!
                Yes domestically we can sell to whoever at a guess my local elevator would have a dozen or more domestic buyers plus another 10 or so who buy direct off farm.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...