• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Klein talks energy no mention of Biofuels

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess is that you are not going to have a tar sands extraction plant every six miles. So you must move the tar sand to the extraction facility and that is where the nuclear plant would be located as well.

Comment

The problem is that, as I understand it for some of the tar sands projects, the heat is needed just to get the tar/sand mix out of the ground.

Anyone know anything about that?

And Vadar, you were working in the atomic industry at university. Does that mean you were a (nuclear) physics major? My wife's uncle was one of the early nuclear physicists at Chalk River. It appears he paid an awful price for his work there.

Comment

Lee, they dig up the sand with huge excavators and haul it to the processing facility with rock trucks. (They pay rock truck drivers 100,000 per year).

I took Mechanical Engineering and worked for Atomic Energy in Pinawa, MB one summer.

Comment

It is called SAG-D. steam assisted gravity drain. They inject steam into the ground to heat the bitumen in the sand so it will flow to a low point where they pump it out like a conventional oil well. There are several projects north of Ft. Mac, Cold Lake has a large Encana project. Much less direct enviornmental impact, no huge trucks and mines. If they use electricity to generate heat/steam the nuclear option should be viable?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...