• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Farmers Selling ungraded Eggs Criminals?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Farmers Selling ungraded Eggs Criminals?

Egg farmer stands his ground in raid

By NICK GARDINER

Staff Writer

SHANLY -- A 10-hour standoff between federal food inspectors and a local egg farmer backed by 40 landowners ended Thursday evening when thousands of confiscated eggs and chickens - many dead or dying after going hours without ventilation or water - were released back to the owner.

Inspectors who raided the County Road 21 farm near the Grenville-Dundas County border allege Shawn Carmichael, owner of Carmichael Poultry Farm at 317 County Road 21, had been selling ungraded or improperly graded eggs and lacked proper registration for his operation.

But investigators were prevented from taking the confiscated property away and had to settle instead with dozens of bird carcasses and a carton of eggs to use as evidence.

They also made a commitment to return Carmichael's financial records after making copies for their purposes.

"Whatever happens to me (in the courts) will happen but at least I stood up and was counted," said Carmichael, a husband and father of six children, who sparked the standoff about 1 p.m. when he parked a tractor at the entrance of his driveway to prevent the inspectors from leaving.

"You get to the stage where you say, 'I've got to stand up for myself here. I've got to stand up for my family,'" he said.

"Then I see people who care and will help a guy like me. That gives me a lot. It makes me feel like I'm not alone."

Earlier, when more than 20 inspectors and enforcement workers from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), accompanied by six OPP officers and agents with the Egg Marketing Board of Ontario, launched a raid on the property at 9 a.m., Carmichael and his wife Paula felt totally isolated.

He said his wife wasn't even allowed to get eggs from the barn to feed their children breakfast before the oldest were taken by the mother to school and the others to stay with their grandparents.

"My children have never looked at me like that before," said Carmichael, struggling to remain composed.

"They see the police and they think something is wrong."

He said he was stunned watching the inspectors go through his house, including the children's bedrooms, searching for evidence while chickens and eggs were being seized and loaded on a transport trailer and other trucks.

About four hours into the raid after the first couple of supporters from the Leeds and Grenville Landowners Association arrived at the farmgate where they were met by OPP, Carmichael got in a tractor and drove it to the end of a 300-metre driveway to block the exit.

The action set up a showdown that mushroomed as the afternoon went on until dozens of supporters, including Ontario Landowners Association president Randy Hillier, arrived with their familiar "Back off Government" signs and took up position at the end of the driveway.

The OPP responded in kind and eventually had more than 20 cruisers on hand, including several that established roadblocks at the nearest intersections, and about 30 officers keeping an eye on the activities.

For the most part, the police and protesters treated each other with respect.

Still, the atmosphere was tense and there were some dicey moments, none more so than when a farmer in a tractor came dangerously close to lowering a bucket on a police officer standing his ground near the entrance to the driveway.

Meanwhile, the work of the CFIA came to a halt as inspectors waited to see when they could leave the property.

At one point, a van drove up from the house as near as possible to the edge of the driveway where a waiting pizza delivery was picked up for the trapped inspectors.

For the supporters of Carmichael, the irony was too much and the taxpayer-bought meal became a focus of their anger.

As the afternoon wore on, negotiations between Carmichael, Hillier and the police grew more intense out of concern for the chickens, which were suffering from being confined in crammed metal cages without ventilation in the back of the truck. One Carmichael supporter walked back to the group at the driveway in tears after pleading for the caged chickens to be released.

By 4:30 p.m., when protesters threatened to march on the transport and free the birds forcibly, the CFIA and egg marketing board authorities began yielding to the demands to release the confiscated property.

At that point, protesters were allowed access to the trucks and they began hauling out the cages of birds only to discover many were already dead.

About a dozen CFIA workers wearing protective gear and standing nearby were taunted by the protesters who complained about the cramped conditions in which the chickens were packed and suggested the treatment was inhumane and worthy of investigation by the Humane Society.

Carmichael, who carried out a dead bird to the crowd to emphasize the point, said he couldn't believe the thoughtlessness exhibited by authorities supposed to be looking after animal welfare.

"Would you pack your dogs in like that? Would you pack your cats in like that? I don't know how a human can do something like that," he said.

He said he expects many more of the chickens to die as a result of the conditions and even those that will survive are unlikely to produce eggs at a normal rate.

Hillier said the landowners' efforts weren't in vain despite the devastation brought to the stock of birds.

"We can't prevent every injustice but we've mitigated the level of this injustice, which is something of a victory," he said.

Hillier said he isn't taking sides in Carmichael's legal fight with the CFIA but he wants the protest to send a signal that "common sense" has to be applied when a person's livelihood is at stake.

"The deck was being stacked against him to not be able to defend himself," said Hillier.

Cliff Yeatman, a member of the Leeds and Grenville Landowners Association who was one of the first protesters on the scene along with Gill Cyr, said the action paid dividends.

"I'm proud the landowners stepped in and stood up for him," said Yeatman, noting Carmichael is not a member of the organization.

"It just shows we're here for everybody. If there's an issue that's not right, we're here."

Among the supporters were Gene and Marsha Countryman whose dairy operation was shut down in a dispute with the CFIA a decade ago.

Gene Countryman said the inspectors are so rigid in their enforcement procedures that they forget there are human costs to their actions.

In his own case, the emotional scars have yet to heal, he said.

"You never get over it."

Rick Sauder, enforcement officer with the CFIA, said legal proceedings against Carmichael will not be halted.

Sauder said warrants for the investigation were executed under the Canadian Agricultural Products Act and the provincial Farm Marketing Act.

"We were trying to execute a lawful warrant on the premises. We were impeded in that duty," said Sauder, who offered no further comment.

Harry Pelissero, general manager for the Ontario Egg Producers, said Carmichael faces charges of selling ungraded eggs, unlawful possession of laying hens and failing to pay his licensing fees.

As an independend producer, Carmichael is allowed up to 100 chickens. Pelissero said investigators counted more than 9,000 chickens on the site Thursday.

Inspector Brent Hill, commander of the Grenville County OPP, was pleased the situation didn't escalate.

He said police had to be cautious in a tense situation and his overriding concern was to maintain peace and order.

"We're just here trying to come to a solution," said Hill.

Published in Section A, page 1 in the Friday, March 24, 2006 edition of the Brockville Recorder & Times.
    Posted 4:30:02 PM Friday, March 24, 2006.

All of the livestock commodities are being pressured into signing onto the premise identification programs under the demands for both tracebility and disease prevention.

It is not much of a surprise that many of us are also suspisious that the information that we provide might someday be used to shutdown the small producers.

This farmer might not have been selling goverment inspected eggs and poultry, but he knew all of his customers, and they trusted him. Can the same be said for customers of Walmarts (sorry for the example). A producer-client trust should be enough of a inspection certificate.

Comment

Polls taken rate farmers high on the 'Who do you Trust' scale with Canadians and consumers. Government honchos are rated low on the same scale.

Farmers must work hard to keep this trust. And that includes avoiding close relationships with those who are mistrusted.

Ianben might be able to tell you how British government officals fought hard to not admitting to finding BSE in livestock. Deny, deny, deny for a long time.

We need to be able to sell what we grow because we know what we grow on our farms. And the consumer prefers to buy from Canadian farmers as opposed to third world farmers.

Parsley

Comment

Hey Parsley thats a case of mistaken identity! "Ian ben might be able to tell you how British government officals fought hard to not admitting to finding BSE in livestock" It was the AMERICAN Government that fought to hide BSE.
        The British Government failed to take appropriate measures to deal with it initially but again that's maybe being wise after the event as they were the first country to identify the condition.

Comment

Parsley;

What a mess.

Hmmmm. 9000 birds when they were allowed 100.

How did these farmers get so many birds?

Did they hatch them out?

If they bought the chickens from the hatching egg people; then the system itself has a problem.

Provincial law holds the key; as the province holds property law in the Canadian Constitution... as Alberta turkey producers have found. An Alberta turkey producer has been told and ruled by Court: that launching his turkey into space and selling it to the man in the moon; would break Alberta supply management laws.

If we don't like the law... we have an obligation to change the law.

I believe it is unfair to blame those who enforce the law... for doing what society has ordered them to do.

If there was no blockade... would the chickens have been hurt and died?

It may well have been much more humane to have brought in a crew and disposed of the chickens... like they do when a bird desease problem occurs.

Chicken Deseases are a VERY important reason that these type of illegal operations are monitored and kept in order...

It can cost Billions... if some back yard grower DOES'T keep things desease free.... and allows a wreck to destroy the Canadian Chicken Industry!

CFIA people need to take SPCA officials with them... and listen to them in future operations.

Comment

I agree with Tom4cwb. This person was breaking the law according to the acts that are incorporated in Ontario and other provinces in Canada.

I realize that there is probably many steps that have been taken prior to this raid and were probably ignorned by the operator. Fortunatley we live in a civiliazation that has rules and some reponsibilities, not like Iraq or Afganistan.

I don't agree in how the chickens were handled(according to the article) and CFIA should have it' procedures for seizure examined and if warranted charges should be laid. They are not above the law and should be held to the highest standard as they are government and have no excuse for improper actions.

Comment

Uneducated public and "supporters" boggle my mind. Why should this guy get to be exempt from spending close to half a million dollars on quota for the right to produce eggs/chicken, to me the 1000 bird exemption is already generous...Maybe involving CFIA to enforce marketing board rules is a stretch but at least they are doing something to help legitimate producers.

Comment

I have to agree with the above posts. In a civilized country you have to abide by the law of the land. If you don't like the law then you try to change it...or learn to live with it?
                This does not mean I think supply management is a good system...as it is currently set up!
                I also have respect for people who break the law...as a legitimate attempt to change the law! This might sound like a contradiction so I will attempt to explain?
                When grain farmers took wheat across the US border, not to profit, but to prove a point and fight for freedom and fairness...you can not compare that to someone who was breaking the law to make a profit on the backs of the guys who followed the rules? So when a Jim Chatenay hauls a bag of wheat over the border to donate it to a 4H club, it can not be compared to the "midnight express" B train hauling down to Sunburst!
                On top of that Chatenay went to jail to prove his committment to fighting for freedom! That shows his motive for this action was not criminal but for a higher cause? The absurbity of jailing a farmer for 28 days for donating a bushel of wheat should be a wake up call for all of Canada? Just think: The adscam thieves will walk? over millions of dollars stolen...and a couple of old farmers will go to jail for donating a bag of wheat! Only in Canada...

Comment

Cowman;

Good point!

On the issue, when pain and suffering are involved... chickens hurt when abused... obviously CFIA/OPP needed a contingency for what happened... that was obviously not in the action plan for the day: what should have they done instead... when a protest and blockade developed?

Obviously the LAW was broken on both sides... strictly judging from the account given to us.

Is there more to the action than we know... that we need to know to be fair judges?...

The law is here to show us what is wrong... it cannot in many instances prevent an issue from happening... but when a breach occurs we are supposed to learn how in a, civil society, to prevent further hardship in the future.

Hence the need for the Common Law & Maxims;

1. The Common Law is based on the Golden Rule, which states;
                  Do unto others as you would have done unto you,
                  And the Negative Golden Rule, which states;
                  Do not do unto others as you would not have others do unto you;

2. The two fundamental principals of common law:
                  ć Do not infringe upon the Rights, Freedoms or Property of others, and
                  Keep all contracts willingly, knowingly and intentionally

Common law maxims include:
                  ć That for every wrong there is a remedy,

ć The end does not justify the means,

ć Fundamental principals cannot be set aside to meet the demands of convenience or to prevent apparent hardship in a particular case,

ć Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law,

ć Two wrongs do not make a right, and

ć One can enlarge the rights of the people, however they cannot be taken away without their informed consent.

That these laws are not taught... and are not common knowledge to OPP and CFIA... is "criminal" as well!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...