• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Spring Price Endorsement/Revenue Insurance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta Spring Price Endorsement/Revenue Insurance

Just a note to make sure everyone in Alberta is running the numbers on spring price endorsement/revenue insurance.

Prices are low to start with so SPE is unlikely to pay out (at least I hope). The reason you will invest in SPE premium is to use RI as a risk tool.

When I talk to most farmers, their first question is whether the program will pay. The process I encourage first is to look at the risk coverage per acre versus premium cost.

Using canola as an example, the revenue insurance price is $316/tonne. The crop insurance coverage price is $240/tonne. The worst thing that will happen (floor price if you like) is the price decline this fall stalls at 9.5 % (just above the 10 % trigger). The trigger is $216/tonne but lets assume the calculated price next fall (Oct.) is $218/tonne. You still collect RI which is which would be about $69/tonne (70 % of the difference between $316 and $218/tonne).

Assuming .5 tonne/acre insured yield (I will let you put in whether this is at 60, 70 or 80 % coverage or whether realistic), you have guaranteed yourself a per acre revenue of at least $143.50/acre minus the SPE premium. If your yields are higher or you market the crop at a higher price, your return per acre will be better. The RI payment will not count in CAISP calculations (provincial program) so either good is you want to maximize CAISP payments or negative if you are wanting to build your margin.

Recommendation - Work the numbers and come to a decision for your farm.

AFSC faxed me a copy of a risk area 7 example that approximates the above. At a 70 % coverage level (21.6 bu/acre), the cost would be about $6.80/acre for crop insurance, $4.62/acre for hail insurance and $2.45/acre for SPE - total $13.85/acre. You have locked in a revenue of $130/acre (after paying the premium) with any combination of better yields, higher prices in the fall calculation (or lower such that SPE triggers) and selling at prices about this level increasing your potential revenue/acre.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...