• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survey

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey

Marketing options should be determined by farmers not government, according to 75 % of 1600 permit book holders surveyed in a recent survey commissioned by the CWB. Survey was also very pessimistic about the future of individuals in farming.

Interesting report. Would encourage everyone to take the time to read versus strictly looking at the press release.

The provincial results are enlightening and show significant differences between the provinces. Also find the interpretation interesting. Someone will have to explain the difference between somewhat sole CWB and somewhat open market to me. My interpretation is many farmers are lukewarm on either alternative/sitting on the fence.

The barley results are even more interesting. My interpretation is that most farmers are ready for an open barley market (malt and export feed).

Comment

I would also look at the demographics of the survey.

23.4 % of the farmers were under 44. 18.1 % of the farmers were over 65.

23.7 % of the farmers were under 640 acres. 18.5 % were over 2500 acres.

51.3 % of the farmers grew under 500 acres of potential board crops. 15.6 % grew over 1,000 acres.

59.7 % of the farmers came from Saskatchewan.

Comment

But how many have JD equipment and how many have CNH? lol In other words you must look at the overall view rather than trying to survey who you think should be surveyed. Surveys are not absoulute but they do offer direction.

Comment

Would agree that the survey is a fair reflection of the demographics of permit book holders (not all farmers). The survey does show there are differences by province. What would be interesting to me (perhaps a mute point for most) would be to have a look at the results segregated by size and age as well as province. There is some mention of the size issue with regards to director elections (one person/one vote versus a size adjustment). I suspect other differences would come out as well. Using your logic that the study does reflect trends/attitude (I agree), the survey does reflect significant differences between farmer attitudes toward CWB market of wheat and barley.

Why important? The younger farmer who has more of a carreer ahead in farming and larger commercial farms are the ones who will be more influencial in setting policy down the road.

Comment

I have to give the CWB credit for releasing the whole report including the questionnaire. But you're right Charlie. It only represents permit holders, not the people who have given up on board grains. Does anyone have a guess about how many farmers are growing crops but don't have a permit book?

I found the questions about farmer optimism to be very leading. For example, "Are things in agriculture generally going in the right direction or going off-track?" That's too vague to answer with an either/or. Plus, back in March, prices were still in the toilet. Of course people are going to be pessimistic.

Comment

I have to confess to a mistake that highlights something interesting about the report. The actual survey was of 401 Alberta farmers, 601 Saskatchewan ones and 301 from Manitoba. The percentage from Saskatchewan is not 60 %. The 60 % (59.7 actually) was the weighting applied to the provincial averages based on permit bookholders. Alberta weighting was 26 % and Manitoba 15 %.

Comment

Charlie,

Why should we have the right to determine how a fellow farmers sell their grain... and to whom they can sell it?

Why are we treating the CWB like it is a supply management system?

Are Permit books and CWB quota now worth something... that we can cash in?

Comment

Awesome question Tom am waiting for the answer!!!!!! It should be enlightening never thought of that angle.

Comment

Tom, I guess you do speak my mind? I am not for or against the CWB, simply against the dictatorship to tell me how I am marketing my grain. Let me choose on or before Aug. 1st to go CWB or free and I can live with it, but don't rule me as a peasant, that can invest some million $ into farming, but needs to be told what is best for him (me)on the marketing side. Lets read this (other) surveys and let the great leadres and Mr. Ritt(l)er and co find the best answers and conclutions out of it.

Comment

Zaphod

Re: question, "how many farmers are growing crops but don't have a permit book?". When AB did the Ipsos survey in 2003, 84 % wheat and barley growers in AB with at least 160 acres had permit books. As an interesting note, the average age in ours was 54 with 18% 65 or older. Does this jive with others thoughts?

http://www.choicematters.gov.ab.ca/files/pdf/ACF99B8.pdf

See page 9 and pages 32 to 33.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...