• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temporary storage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary storage

We need advice on the pros and cons of grain piles or bin rings with covers, with regard to Quality preservation for market acceptance.Obviously waste is a big concern as well.

I used plywood rings last fall on stubble (moved to the dirt). The grain was 18% and cold when it went in. In early January I used a grain vac to load out and move into bins. It was about -15 and the vac cooled the grain down again, went in as a #3RS 18%, came out as a #3RS 17%. Left about 1/2" of grain on the ground.
    I will use the rings again this year but I am going to set them up in the middle of the field and hopefully dump the first 3000 bu into the ring from the combine and leave the grain truck parked for a day (labour shortage or maybe just lazy).

Comment

Whoops, I meant mowed to the dirt not moved.

Comment

Do what Ron did, plus, go to princess auto and buy those big cheap tarps and put on the bottom. We've done it for a few years and never have more than 2 shovels full of waste. But, don't let it rain without getting the tarp on or you will have one big bowl of porridge. Also for feed barley or feed wheat use a snow blower to shovel with. Works great.

Comment

Be carefull that deer can't get at grain. You won't be able to deliver to elevator if it has excreta in it.

Comment

I have used metal rings for 10 years when they are needed. The grain in the rings that was tarped did far better than the piles that were rained and snowed on all winter.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
              Rings with tarp covers seems to be the agreed best solution.
              What about the tarps or plastic on the ground. Ive heard that can cause problems?

Comment

tarps or plastic on the groung tend to keep moisture in the ring causing spoilage

Comment

I've used a grain ring with a tarp 3 times now and the best luck I had was on mowed stubble. The reason being was that the ground was very dry. This past year I had it on grass and with the rain in August the ground was too wet and I had a good 1.5" of waste grain on the bottom. I've been thinking about putting down a pad of cold mix asphalt to put the ring on in the future. Much cheaper than concrete. If you put the ring on dirt, try to put it on the top of a knoll so all the rain or snow run-off drains away in all directions. Also, if the tarp has a vent in the top, make sure that the holes are perpedicular to the prevailing wind so snow doesn't blow in and melt repeatedly, like this past winter, and spoil the cone. Also, don't buy one higher than 4', because then you can put the auger over anywhere. Mine is 6' high (39' across) with 2 auger holes and it is a pain to clean out.

Comment

Hello, I have used one 4'high, 40' diameter steel ring with tarp and fill hole for several years and liked it. We did set it up in the yard on high level with 4" of packed sand as base, no plastic under the grain and we lifted a Bobcat in to push the grain to the auger. Worked great. You need to think about your unloading means before you fill, or you will have some problems.
                    We put the tarp over before we started filling and had some rain during the fill time. with the Auger lifting the tarp, all rain run off. The asphalt idea is good, but would rain then not creep under? Also, you can get some asphalt into the grain when loading out. Don't know what your buyer will say.

Comment

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Our trucker said he hauled from a steel ring last winter where the producer had put steel pipes in the ground with tabs on to bolt 1 section to, so that he could remove that section and drive a bobcat in without the ring collapsing.

Comment

rsmith;

At Farmtech an Argentine grower talked about 100tonne plastic bags that are there for storage.

I have not looked into the large disposable plastic bag idea myself... but I thought it sounded very interesting.

Comment

some producers in this area used silage bags a few years ago. they found it was difficult to clean up when hauling.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...