• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments On New Protocols on Ineligible Wheat Varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments On New Protocols on Ineligible Wheat Varieties

Any comments on the below press release.

http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/news/releases/2006/092006.jsp

I think this is an important issue to talk. Needs to happen but farmers need to think about the liability issue here.

Lots of discussion about new winter wheat varieties that are coming close to quality specifications for US winter wheat/our own spring wheat. On the other end of the world, there may be winter/prairie spring wheats created for the ethanol that have a totally different set of charistics to meet this customers need. The need for segregation of different types of wheat is going to increase over time versus decrease along with the due dillegence to ensure there is no mixing/blending.

Charlie;

Here is the essence of it:

"New protocol now in place to protect quality system from ineligible varieties

WINNIPEG , MANITOBA – A new grain-industry protocol is in place across the Prairies to ensure that Canada's grain quality assurance system is safe from contamination by ineligible varieties.

The protocol is the result of an agreement struck last year between western Canadian grain handlers and the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB), with the support of farm groups and regulatory agencies. It was implemented among participating grain industry partners for the 2006-07 crop year.

The problem with ineligible varieties results from grain deliveries that do not match the criteria for the class under which payment is being requested by the farmer. These include varieties that are not registered for sale as Canadian milling wheat, for example. In Canada, each class of grain has specific characteristics developed to ensure consistent end-use attributes, such as its performance in milling, baking or pasta production.

Under the protocol, farmers are asked each year to sign a declaration stating that the grain they deliver is an eligible variety. The new rules also require retention and testing of elevator samples to ensure delivery accuracy. In addition, those who misrepresent grain may be liable to pay for losses incurred. Just a single contaminated elevator can cost as much as $400,000.

Ward Weisensel, the CWB's chief operating officer, said Western Canada's competitive marketing advantage for grain relies on quality assurance."

Comment

My Question is this:

Since ONLY grains grown from Certified or higher pedigree are by law allowed to use the variety name;

Doesn't legally, this lock grain growers into using certified seed?

Further; if a variety that does not qualify:

If it has perfect milling quality for the spec the customer (end user) asks for...

why isn't this acceptable and the wheat allowed?

I suppose this milling grain could be called "feed" and sold as such... with a "premium" attached.

Why is the variety so important... when it is the end use quality that really matters... NOT the variety?

WHat have I missed here?

Comment

More or less this is a "bridge " I should think until technology will step in and take the place of declarations. Although the "little black box" for DNA is yet to be seen on the horizon technolgy like RVA is looking very close to being implemented.

Comment

Tom your statement about using ineligable varieties then declaring as feed is this not what the organic sector is doing with their red-fife? I can't see what the CGC is doing about this what if we want to take the risk of selling internationally one of these off lable wheats just selling on spec protein bu.weight falling number and leave the HVK junk out of this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...