• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat Varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat Varieties

Ok, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here but I'm thinking the odds are better than 50/50 that were going to have a free market to sell wheat into for our 2007 crop. I got looking at the yeild results from North Dakota State University and I see almost all the 40 varieties of hard red spring wheat thats 40, with a zero, not just 4, but 40, yeilded much better than the 3 Canadian Varieties in the trial.

go to www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/aginfo/variety/hrsw

here is a small sample ( I tried to paste the entire table but that didn't work out too well)

AC Superb test weight 59, yeild 36.7
    Alsen test weight 60.8, yeild 44.2
    Granger test weight 60.8, yeild 52.3
    Norpro test weight 60.6, yeild 51.3
    Glenn test weight 62.7, yeild 52.3 with a 3 year avg of 57.9

So If I wanted to grow some Glenn or some Granger next year to actually sell into the milling market,

does anyone know how easy or difficult it may be to aquire and ship up to Manitoba North Dakota seed this winter so I can seed it next year?

AdamSmith, the Canadian Grain Commission has announced intentions to remove KVD requirements from the "minor" classes of wheats. You can read the details at:

http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/newsroom/news_releases/2006/2006-06-29-e.htm

The proposed changes in KVD requirements doesn't apply to CWRS or CWAD.

This new initiative, by the way, was only a discussion paper not written-in-stone policy. The proposed implementation date is August 1, 2008.

The part I'm not certain about is whether this proposal would allow delivery of unregistered varieties into the commercial system. I tried to phone the CGC to find out but I'm waiting for a return call.

WRAPper, seems to me you're on one of the Western Standards Committe. Any comments?

Comment

Lee
      From the cgc website

Unless a grain variety has been registered by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), it is eligible only for the lowest Canada Grain Act grade. For a list of registered varieties and other information related to the registration of plants in Canada, go to the CFIA web site

I took the liberty for you

Canada Western Red Spring (CWRS)
      Variety Designation List - Order No. 2006-06
      August 1, 2006

Pursuant to the definition of "class" contained in section 2 of the Canada Grain Act, the Commission designates the varieties of wheat listed below as the class CWRS.

Varieties of wheat designated as the class CWRS
      AC Abbey
      AC Barrie
      AC Cadillac
      AC Cora
      AC Domain
      AC Eatonia
      AC Elsa
      AC Intrepid
      AC Majestic
      AC Minto
      AC Splendor
      Alikat
      CDC Alsask
      CDC Bounty
      CDC Go
      CDC Imagine
      CDC Makwa CDC Osler
      CDC Teal
      Columbus
      Conway
      Garnet*
      Harvest
      Helios**
      Infinity
      Journey
      Kane**
      Katepwa
      Laura
      Leader
      Lillian
      Lovitt
      McKenzie Neepawa
      Park
      Pasqua
      Peace
      Pembina
      Prodigy
      Roblin
      Somerset
      Superb
      Thatcher
      5500HR
      5600HR
      5601HR
      5602HR
      5400IP***

* Eligible for 3 CWRS or lower
      ** Not registered in Quebec
      *** Eligible for CWWC 5400IP grades only in Western Canada. Expires April 13, 2007.

This order will be revised from time to time and reissued annually effective August 1.

Christine Hamblin
      Chief Commissioner

Terry Harasym
      Assistant Chief Commissioner

Albert Schatzke
      Commissioner

The Grain in a class (even if KVD is phased out and replaced with another methodology (DNA) or sworn declaration of variety )must be equal to or better in milling quality or performance than the other varities within the class.

Comment

So the short answer is if you grow it it'll be for feed or ethanol not for the domestic market wouldn't be elibible for a Canadian grade, will you be able to ship it south? thats the question right now isn't it............. Also you mostlikely wouldn't be able to get crop insurance as a CWRS it would be a feed variety in Crop insurances eyes I should think so lower coverage?

Comment

check www.sunprairiegrain. Dan Sem seed sales manager Bowbells North Dakota .they had a special on Glen wheat a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Adam Smith, it has been about a decade since we did this, so I might have some details wrong (old age and all). Anyway I believe you need a NAFTA number, easy to get from External Affairs I think. The seed also needs a phyto sanitary certificate which the vendor in ND can obtain for you. The Canadian Grain Commission needs some documents (import permits) I think, and you need a broker.

But AS, this is verrry risky, as there is little to no margin on registered varieties (of CWRS) at good yields and today's prices, so an unregistered variety would contribute even less if the CWB monopoly remains.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Delivery south is probably the option I would be looking at. Just because of the reasons that were mentioned. All varieties in the ND Trial are milling wheat by virtue of their physical properties and by virtue of them being acceptable to the milling industry.

But this does show that once free to deal directly with millers or companies who deal directly with milling companies, our other institutions like the CGC and crop insurance will have to adjust as well.

It may take a bit of time for the Canadian Wheat Industry to adjust to the real world, but if they can't in an appropriate amount of time then they will become redundent as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...