• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This from the Farm and Ranch Guide

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As all good comedians know, when it comes to comedy, timing is everything. Sorry, Agstar77, but your timing was not good. Also, “poking fun” at one’s self is called self-deprecating; I suggest you keep it SELF-deprecating. (I'm not a farmer so I didn't take it personally, but I winced when I read it, imagining how it might make some feel.)

How about a response to the issue of directors seeing the CWB sales? Do you think they really see all they need to? Do they all understand what they are getting? Do you understand the example I gave to show that there's more to a sale than just the price? Even if you don’t know the answers, I’d appreciate a response. And please don’t just introduce another topic / diversion.

Comment

I would hope so. That is why there are supposed to be directors appointed ,to give expertise in this area, not because they support one view or another on the future of the CWB.

Comment

Maybe Strahl should have appointed chaffmaster instead of Ken Motiuk if CWB performance was an issue.

Comment

I assume you are saying you would hope the appointed directors understand what they are seeing – and that’s why they are appointed. Unfortunately the appointed directors don’t have the expertise required. Here’s what the CWB website had to say about each:

Ross Keith – Ross is President of the Nicor Group (a property development company) and a former partner in the MacLean, Keith law firm in Regina. He has degrees from the University of Saskatchewan in Arts, Commerce and Law. Ross is also President of Keith Farms Ltd. - a third-generation family farming operation in southern Saskatchewan.

(No grain trade experience here.)

Bonnie Dupont – Bonnie is Group Vice-President, Corporate Resources, at Enbridge Inc. in Calgary, an energy transportation and distribution company. She has extensive senior management experience in the energy transportation sector, as well as in-depth knowledge of Canada's grain handling system. Bonnie has also held senior roles with the Alberta Wheat Pool (now Agricore), Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, and Calgary's Foothills Hospital.

(From the Enbridge website: Bonnie DuPont is responsible for Human Resources, the Corporate Secretariat function, Public & Government Affairs, Office Services, Corporate Information Technology, and coordination of the Environment, Health and Safety, and the Corporate Security functions. Ms. DuPont joined Enbridge in 1998 with 15 years of executive experience in human resources and administrative roles.)

(With all due respect to Ms. Dupont, I kind of doubt her HR background is enough to pick up on problems with grain trade deals).

William Cheuk – William is president of Vancouver-based South Alder Greenhouses Ltd. and Vision Envirotech International Ltd., as well as vice-president of Emerge Venture Capital Inc. He has led numerous trade missions to Asia and has experience with international trade dispute resolution. William has played a central role in the Environmental Farm Planning Program for sustainable development in agriculture. He has a Bachelor of Business Administration degree, majoring in accounting from Simon Fraser University as well as a Bachelor and a Ph.D. degrees in Chemical and Biological engineering from University of British Columbia.

(At least William has experience with international trade dispute resolution. Still not good enough to recognize issues with contracts that AREN’T being disputed.)

Ken Motiuk – no bio on the CWB website yet.

(Ken is closer than any of the directors to understanding the nuances of grain deals.)

There’s still room for one more (should be 5 appointed). Maybe the next appointed one will have the expertise you’re looking for.

(Response to your last posting...I doubt Adrian Measner would like to see me there...)

Comment

Chaffmeister;

Perhaps you could submit your name to be the next CEO of the CWB?

I for one would give you my full support... I believe with the right progressive management the CWB could wipe the socks of the AWB in performance and market share.

The CWB with proper management should increase grain sales by value: 50% over the next 5 years... by becoming voluntary and multi grain.

Western Canadian grain growers are some of the most forgiving on the planet... and the culture of multinational bashing assure a long and prosperous life for an effective CWB handling multigrains (more than just barley and wheat).

With the right management team... we could have the best marketing system on the planet... if our marketers and grain buyers respect the growers they serve... and allow the growers to decide WHEN to sell the grain they grew!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...