• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cwb has brought on the demands for dual market

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cwb has brought on the demands for dual market

The whole CWB debate could have been avoided if the CWB would honestly address the concerns of many farmers. Contrary to CWB claims the FPC and BPC in there current forms are not the tools farmers are looking for. The CWB has the tools and expertise that would have allowed producers to gain from the record high U.S. wheat futures prices. Instead they chose to widen basis, add adjustment factors and likely build another substantial contingency fund that will in all likelyhood end up in the pool accounts. They limit the time frames producers can hedge and leave basis open to their discretion. Basis Contracts neglect freight differentials and are again restricted in their use. These programs are developed by those who still think price pooling is the only game in town. If producers had similar tools to what they have in the open market, the majority would be satisfied and prepared to allow the CWB to physically move their wheat. Whatever the result of this debate there is strong need for the CWB to honestly listen to all farmers , not just board supporters.

Same question.

I will note that the Ontario Wheat Board and the Australian Wheat modified their operations and survived.

Hog marketing boards modified their business and still survive in some form.

I note all the provincial telephone has lost monopoly status and have survived. There are competitors for long distance. Computer technology allows telephone access. They are the major provider of internet services. Regulation has prohibited the telephone companies from offering TV cable services but this is changing.

What would a new re-generated wheat board (maybe the first change would be a name change) look like? What services would it offer? The assumption it would have exclusive jurisdiction over some things.

Comment

Charlie, why would you assume it would need exclusive jurisdiction over anything? I see it as more of a specialization.

It's specialization would be to provide the service of voluntary collective grain marketing. If a farmer wishes to not deal directly with the private trade they can contract with the new company who will market on their behalf. The new company will probably market 20% of the grain crop.

They will have the good will of a good number of farmers and buyers. But not all farmers and all buyers.

But the new company will be operating within a competitive environment so it needs to offer something that others can't. I believe that something is direct farmer ownership. Real ownership with real meaning behind the ownership. Like equity in shares and votes that go along with those shares. This may not mean much to some people but having an ownership stake in something does mean something to others. The new company doesn't need to own elevators or teminals or rail cars. It just need the good will of farmers.

I see the new cwb as fitting into the mould of mutual fund company. The service they provide is profesional financial investing. The New Company would offer the service of profesional grain marketing and would be farmer owned and controlled.

That's what I believe would work.

Comment

So bring back the Pools, wow what a brainstorm. We know how that ended up. The kind of investment that would require is staggering . So where would that capital come from the Government or T4.

Comment

agstar77

I would encourage you to read the CWB survey released this past spring. The vast majority of farmers want change.

The first posting (craig) presented some pretty legitimate concerns that I get from farmers who have used the programs. Can you help us out in understanding the programs and describe the input mechanism for encouraging meaningfull reforms?

Comment

Agstar77

This whole debate is about farmers (as individuals and as a whole group) as well as an entire grain industry.

This isn't about just one spoiled rotten government agency.

The reason why we're here today is because the cwb has never, ever been able to think about anything other than the cwb itself. As if everyone within the industry's, farmers included, sole function, was to serve the Canadian Wheat Board.

Can you not see, what so many others can see?

Measner's worried about Winnipeg jobs. Gimme a break. The only Winnipeg job Measner is worried about is his own. And his antics in the last few weeks are more about severence than they are about anything else.

My big question today is;

Who's looking after selling wheat???

Measner certainly isn't!

Comment

Charlie;

After two days on the road... working on a voluntary CWB... I am amazed at the grass roots support for a competitive dual market... but the CWB has to remain a viable option.

If the CWB directors run the Corporation into the ground... which most people agree is happening with the present management... there will be a hanging out here!

It will certainly be interesting to see how the Director elections go!

I have never seen such a positive spirit for change in the 8 years of being involved! The expectation is staggering... that change is going to occur...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...