• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Japan pay a Premium for Wheat?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Japan pay a Premium for Wheat?

Incognito,

This is certainly an interesting DTN article!

"Japan Changes Wheat Pricing
    10/24 05:46
    -New System Will Link Imports to Market Prices Three Times a Year Instead of Once a Year

TOKYO (Nikkei) -- Japan's Ministry of Agriculture will from next April adopt a new system for pricing wheat in which the cost of imports will be linked to market prices two to three times a year, ending the current practice of fixing the figure once a year, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Tuesday evening edition.

It will be the first change in the pricing policy in 59 years.

The ministry will simultaneously introduce an auction system intended to allow flour milling firms to make bids for wheat procurement.

The move to more closely link wheat prices to market movements will change the grain's status to that of an "ordinary commodity," such as rice. Japan imports roughly 5 million tons of wheat annually, or about 90% of domestic consumption.

Under the existing system, the government purchases all the wheat through trading firms and sells it to flour milling firms at prices slightly above those for domestically produced wheat.

The benchmark price for wheat sold to milling and other companies is currently Y45,350 per ton, about twice what the government pays to purchase it. The government uses proceeds from the gap between the benchmark rate and its purchase price to finance the subsidies for wheat farmers.

The new system, under which the government can revise its sales price after taking into account international trends, allows it to adjust the cost according to fluctuations in overseas prices.

Given that international wheat prices are hovering around a 10-year high, the new system may push up the retail cost of wheat, bread and noodles.

The existing method has created strong dissatisfaction among flour milling firms, because even when international prices decline, they still have to buy expensive wheat.

Conversely, the government at times has to maintain lower prices despite rises in market prices."

101 Canabucks in a Y. Or about $450 per tonne.

I'll ask the Japanese ministry of Ag when I'm there for a few more details.

Comment

wd9 - just to be clear, the $450 a tonne you mention is what the millers pay the JFA - about 2x what the JFA pays to buy the wheat (according to the article). That makes it worth to us about $225 CIF.

If Japan likes Canadian wheat SOO much that it pays "premium prices" for it, why did the CWB sell less than 900,000 tonnes out of the 6 million Japan buys annually? (10 year average of 5.9) That's only 15%...

Comment

Likely available quality they do pay that premium but it has to be extremely high quality visually as well as intrinsicly or at leat thats what the Japanese millers association told me when they visited our farm a few years back. This year will likely be higher though the US will sell them some too as their quality is great and as will be Australia unless they run into harvest rains. they don't have much to sell but they quality will be there.

Comment

Could it be that there may be no premium actually paid? Naw, that couldn't be true, could it?

Comment

The Japanese premium is there. The question is whether is because of a good supply agreement with commitments on quality/just in time shipping or because of the special relationship between the Japanese Food Agency and the CWB. As has been highlighted, Canada share of the Japanese milling wheat market is declining.

Just got off the phone with someone who was comparing average annual prices at Portland to CWB total payments and wondering why the latter was so much lower. I didn't have an answer. If the CWB gets premiums from markets like Japan, where does the money go in the CWB pooling system?

Comment

Just to note, both the Portland price and the CWB asking price (read Japanese Food Agency price) are both posted on our grain weekly market summary. No CWRS 13.5 price on Friday so hard to compare this week. The normal premium is US $25/tonne.

Comment

Thanks for backing me up Charlie Wd9 you owe me a beer.err diet coke.

Comment

Yup Chaff, that is the sort of thing I was talking about, premium in terms of purchase from Canada, not after JFA.

When I was chatting with the Ministers' assistant this summer, we talked a bit about it but then the conversation turned to camping, bears, and down hill mountainbiking. They really like Canada - esp the mountains.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...