• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pooling... with a "single desk" ...it forces growers to take less!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pooling... with a "single desk" ...it forces growers to take less!

Charlie,

I have been watching pools for years... and almost with out exception... they result in lower value to grain growers forced to sell through a "single desk", when for cash flow and storage/handling logistical reasons they are forced into the residual domestic market.

WHY you ask?

1. In a major up market... the participants who entered the pool before the upward move... expect the better price also...

Without paying for the risk premium to partake in the higher prices... (the whole reason for "single desk pooling")

This "dilution" results in market signals such as CWB "adjustment factors", we who took the risk and waited patiently... for an increased return... must pay the former “early” sellers.

The CWB "adjustment factors" lower the upward residual domestic market price move...

The domestic consumers outside the "single desk" don't have to pay full price and fully compete with the international market (for which the "single desk" controls access) for the grower's grain.

Put another way;

Growers with unpriced grain inventory are subjected to lower values, which buffer (upward prices) in markets operating outside the “single desk”(namely the domestic feed market)... forcing those who patiently waited to market (and took the greater risk) to pay earlier/(sellers) pool participants, or give the increased value away to our domestic market.

This ends up causing the CWB "single desk" to be a direct subsidy by grain growers to the domestic feed market consumers.

No WONDER why the supply managed sector supports the CWB “single desk”,

And now for the second reason:

2. In a downward market leg, or move, the "single desk pool" excludes those who waited to sell... and locks them out of the international market... till a new pool is started. (3 CWRS CPS last spring a perfect example)

This refusal to market grain offered, distorts domestic markets dispurportionately DOWN, (during the most depressed market period) by forcing the later marketing growers produce, into the residual market that the pool excludes... (for cash flow reasons) thus driving this domestic cash market down even further... instead of just diluting the higher pool values.

The "single desk" is to take from some growers... to give to the other growers... during a rising market…

And

TO force grain into an already depressed domestic market during a down leg in the market cycle.

THE

"single desk" pool growers want "free" risk management.

As we all should have known by now...

A free ride doesn't exist!

No I am not crazy... I am just preparing for a Western Seducer interview this morning... while we combine... and deliver Nexera Canola, and try to put on fertilizer.

Well... maybe I am!

Comment

Will leave for others to answer your questions.

Need to realize that pooled prices are average prices. Within the process of averaging, there will be winners and losers.

Within the averaging process the CWB uses, there is also the aspect of controlling delivery access on the one hand and movement to customers on the other. The market cannot handle the pricing or shipment of 20 mln tonnes of grain on one day (the day the price is highest) so even the open market has to deal with the latter. The only comment is the single deals with the latter issue in a different way than an open market.

Comment

I also note the changes in basis (or lact there of) in the fixed price contract. If you have a futures only basis contract/are waiting to lock in or are wanting to sign an FPC, I would suggest you are in an uncomfortable situation (particularly if CWR/WS, CWES or CWSWS).

I also have to admit to being amazed at the changes in the fpc values for both feed and malt barley. From the CWB supporter side, can help me explain what happened to today with a $16/tonne in the feed barley fpc/effective removal of the adjustment factor. Similar comment malt barley. What is the difference between today and yesterday in the actual market? What is the adjustment factor? Even within the CWB, why aren't there effect cash marketing tools?

Comment

Charlie good you pointed out these things. It amazes me that on one hand you indicate there is strength and demand in the market place by raising the PRO's (ironically when U.S. futures seem in retracement) while at the same time widening the basis which normally means no demand. It brings a series of questions. Is the CWB trying to discourage producers from taking a basis only On FPC before the end of the month? Is the Board trying to make the pool account look better than FPC's. It does bring out the point that the board does seem to be using PRO's and Basis to their benefit and not necessarily to the producers benefit. It will be interesting to see where the Pro's go in the coming month.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...