• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charlie in the Ukraine

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie in the Ukraine

May the flaming begin.

Amazing how Canadian tax funded resources are going to help provide direct competition against me as a Canadian farmer by educating those with huge potential benefits in terms of production capability.

It has been forever thus.

In Alberta, for years trade missions cajoled the Asians and others to come to Alberta and set up factory pig farms so as to produce hogs and compete against Albertans. The province spent a small fortune'assisting' these business people find suitable sites and even helped defend them in court when locals objected. This resulted in a huge influx of factory farms and most of the smaller producers shut down as a result.

In our area there are damned few small producers anymore.

The Alberta gov't has spend untold millions of dollars in trying to eliminate the CWB directly as well as annual subsidies to the opponents of the CWB.

Comment

Last post before I turn off my computer and finish my final packing.

Ideas to contribute to the discussion.

1) Demographics are changing but at one time 10 % of Albertans had Ukrainian heritage.

2) When I get there, a lot of my work will be understanding cultural differences and understanding how change peoples thinking (still stuck in the old communist ways). Credit is non existent (28 %/year for the best farm client). Issues around land ownership are not being resolved. Machinery is old both physically and technologically. Inputs are not available. It will take years if not decades to change. Perhaps the biggest influence will be European farmers who move their business/technology to the Ukraine.

3) There are agri-business opportunities for Canadian companies in the Ukraine.

4) Looking at Canada, we perhaps have to change thinking from export oriented to domestic processing (all over in the Commodity marketing area). If western Canadian farmers think we can compete with Ukraine in selling feed barley to Saudi Arabia, then they better give their heads a shake. Similar comments on bio diesel to Europe with the note that every farmer I have talked to will have 10 valid reasons why they can't grow ****seed starting with seeding technology (hard to seed canola into land your have just ploughed the crap of and then use 50 year old seeding technology).

4) Finally, I note today is November 11. When I was in the Ukraine in September 2004, it was just after the school massacre at Baslin (spelt wrong) where the 300 children were killed by terrorists. This city is not that far from where I was working. One way of preventing war is to allow people (including farmers) to live in dignity. If not, we had better be prepared to have our sons/daughters, grand children and great grand children dying in new wars down the road.

For me, it is an opportunity to think differently and be challenged by things that I can't plan for. I can bring this new creative thinking back again. Between the Canadians that have been (including CWB staff), we have some pretty good competitive intelligence on what is going on there.

The real bonus is I won't hear anything about the CWB for 3 weeks. Farmers there will be complaining bitterly about their system (almost as complicated as ours for wheat). The one thing both countries have in common is wheat is 13 % protein and 87 % politics.

Comment

Right on the money wd9.I was trying to think of another industry that this happens to but i couldn't.

Those terrorist that murdered those 300 children were probably pissed about the 100,000 children that were murdered in the city of grozny by the russian military.Seeing as how its getting close to rememberance day lets remember how much war sucks.

Comment

WD9,

To those whom much is given...

Much is expected.

If we are to scratch our way out of the "cold war" mentality... we will need to help each other. In the new information age... everyone is our neighbour... on this little blue planet... third from the sun.

Obviously we do have WAY too many blessings here...in western Canada.

selfish and proud attitudes,
          reap withered and bitter tasting fruit.

Let's work with these folks... and make a better world together.

The cup is half full.

The pie can grow larger... if we only dream of better blessings for our neighbours.

How many hungry people... will go to bed with a heartache... because they couldn't feed there children enough today?

Comment

I hate to be such a hard nosed old so and so but those that have enough money to buy will be fed and those that do not won't. It has been that way up until now and I am sorry to say it will stay that way for the foreseeable future. I for one can't afford to donate any more cheap food.

Comment

It is a very sensitive topic to say the least. Mentioning it to government makes you look heartless and cruel. A no win.

The US Soy Export Council goes into a country that is exporting soybeans and improves and builds up their livestock industry so domestically they
              a) have more protein resolving hunger issues and value added helps lifestyle,
              b) don't compete against traditional US export markets by not exporting and potentially becoming an importer.

Creative to say the least.

Remembrance day is certainly the time to remember those who gave so much to ensure our freedom. Thank-you to the families who were and continue to be reminded of the price of freedom.

Comment

Just a small report from the Ukraine. Have arrived safe and am getting ready for my workshops. Will be doing some investigation (in particular early condition winter wheat and government policy wheat exports) and report to you. No snow/temps around plus 5.

Comment

Bless you Charlie!

Glad everything went well!

Hope you can bring prosperity and hope to the folks over there... bless them!

Comment

Eat a couple MMT of wheat while u r there Charlie!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...