• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB responsible for "high" feed barley prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB responsible for "high" feed barley prices

Melvill;

I see Portland Barley is up $4/t to 165/t this week.

Here is a DTN report:

"Rick Steinke, Director of the CWB's Market
    Analysis Division has previously indicated that the CWB was
    partially responsible for the high domestic feed barley price in
    Western Canada, given that the CWB has been active in the barley
    export market.
    "We have been active sellers of barley during the Japanese
    weekly tenders, and that has filtered back to the domestic market
    to some degree," he was quoted as saying previously."

Can the CWB honestly take credit for the increase in feed barley prices?

Seems to me only a few weeks ago the CWB raised the PRO $28/t. Is it election time?

Or the fact of a short barley crop and no corn imports could take credit. I guess if the CWB caused that, then they can take credit for it.

Comment

I think Cor Van Ray should take credit for it....

Comment

I'm going to take some of the credit too. In 2005 I grew 30 acres of barley, and in 2006 I didn't grow any! I did my part in contributing to the shortage!

Comment

Hey - wait just a minute! I've never ever grown barley! Shouldn't I get some credit too?

Comment

Chaffmeiester,
            I too must confess that our farm didn't grow and barley the last couple of years... although we did sell carry-over barley last year.

Now that we have fessed up... are we still barley "producers"... or not.

CWB Act 47.1... hmmm I feel a French translation is in order here!

Comment

Chaffmeister;

Need some help here:

In the French version of the CWB Act, I got this translation from

« producteur-exploitant » Producteur se livrant en fait à la production de grains.

"actual Producer"

Delivering himself producer makes of it?a production of grains.

THis takes us to:

"« producteur » Outre le producteur-exploitant, toute personne ayant droit, à titre de propriétaire, de vendeur ou de créancier hypothécaire, à tout ou partie des grains cultivés par celui-ci."

Know what it looks like to me... this is about the person who delivered barley to the CWB... is supposed to be the person who votes.

WHy?

Because the CWB Act is all about "trade and commerce" not about "Agriculture" ... which is a different constitutional authority...

Hmmm

What think ye?

Need some help here!

Comment

Sorry, Tom - I'm not french. (Nor do I work for the federal government, which would mean that I would have been taught french for about 12 months straight at taxpayers expense.)

Comment

Regarding export barley, there have been reports that japan purchased at least 200,000 t of feed barley from Canada in the last few weeks at US$200/t fob Vancouver. That sale is well above PROs and makes the Board very competitive in the feed market in quite an area of the prairies. It might even pull quite a bit of malt into the export feed market. Regardless, that, and other rumoured export sales, will take some barley from an already tight feed market. If the sale is confirmed, it will also definitely make room for a rise in the feed - and maybe malt - PRO later this month. Tightening the feed market will be supportive of domestic feed barley prices, especially since we're not likely to see much in the way of corn imports into the west unless corn prices drop, which in my opinion is as likey as a Chinook in Inuvik.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...