• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Vote

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Vote

Just read an interesting editorial. The suggestion is that when we have plebisite vote the votes should be tallied in two ways. One would be the one person one vote concept and the other would be the vote based on the amount of grain delivered to the CWB in the last 2 years. The records are there which would allow this to happen. Since the vote is non binding it would shed some further light on this debate.

Excellent idea. Minister Srahl would have to be the one do that vote, the CWB (or as I have heard Chronic Wasting Board) wouldn't have the guts. That way also non-farmers and land owners would have little or no ballots in the am't based on grain sold or produced (only those that actually grew it)

Comment

The problem with this scenario is this: In Alberta, especially, there is a lot of land that grows one hell of a lot of grain/oilseeds that never enter the CWB system? And a lot more that could?
      Why would you want to sentence all those grain growers...to be under a system that ****s them forever?
      Not too hard to grow quality barley and wheat in central Alberta? The vast majority of the farmers here do everything possible...to grow anything...that they don't have to sell through the board!
      So should they have a say?
      Lets face it...if I can grow canola...I can sure as hell grow wheat or barley? But with the CWB in place it makes more sense to grow canola? Or...actually... feed wheat, or feed barley!
      How many farmers in Alberta just said to hell with this and opted out of EVER growing anything that had to be sold through the CWB?...I would suggest...a lot?
      Get rid of this stupid marketing system. Then maybe we could move into the 21st century?

Comment

Craig is this editorial available online I would be happy to read some well thought out arguments, and as you say since it is a non binding consultive process this would give a good indication of what farmers feel big and small.
        But would not a well constructed survey with clear questions do the same thing
        then break it down, farm size, age demographics, anything you want
        All for a LOT LESS than a full on plebicite.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...