• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portland Feed Barley Prices (CWB Posted)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portland Feed Barley Prices (CWB Posted)

The CWB is quoting the following Portland feed barley prices (February 2) - USD $193 to $195/tonne FOB. Don't know if this is bid or offer or traded. You will see this price in the next weeks western producer and cooperator. The exchange rate on the fax the CWB sends out is 1.1838 resulting in a port price of about Cdn $230/tonne (FOB).

More interesting information as I go through my newsletters - all this is information the CWB provides by the way.

Initial payment on the "B" pool. $110.50/tonnes instore port. Initial payment in Alberta - about $65/tonne or $1.40/bu(being generous on CWB deductions). Cost of a 100 % EPO - $13/tonne. Cost of a 90 % EPO - $4.25/tonne. Ouch - obviously don't have that much confidence in the PRO forecast given the cost of the premium.

Using the CWB own numbers, farmers are leaving about $90/tonne ($2/bu) on the table. Realize that the PRO is a forecast but even looking at from a cash standpoint is strange.

And reason having feed barley exports under the CWB is???

Comment

to piss off tom

Comment

CP: Dont you work for the government? What is wrong with the private sector?

Comment

As indicated before, my work path taken me into interesting areas. A personal decision at different points in my life.

Interesting being in a place where you are known and everyone else can hide in the shadows. Not an issue - just a comment on the way things are.

The question is still there should you choose to express your opinion. I have read Schmitz, Schmitz and Gray so no use talking about that. Similar comments other CWB documents. Just interested in your from heart contribution to the debate.

Comment

Curious - would you find cash pricing for export feed barley within the single desk system acceptible? A CWB price up on an elevator wall backed up by guaranteed delivery contract? The CWB issue could be to put together a 25,000 package for a Japanese sale or 50,000 to 75,000 tonne for a Saudi/other middle east or north africa destination. Could the CWB do it for the $2/tonne a broker would get paid?

Even better, just have the CWB in port position and have the trade do all your sourcing for the CWB. No CWB feed barley presense in the country but retain single desk at port. Don't know how the CWB would handle US sales in this situation.

Bring something to the discussion.

Comment

BennyHin

Sorry about that. Your opinion is on record.

http://www.agri-ville.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewThread.cgi?1167958698

My interpretation is you want all barley (including domestic feed markets and home fed) feed barley prices pooled. I would gladly take that option to a vote.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...