• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question For CharlieP

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The barley plebescite will be an indicator of where farmers sit on the single desk/open market. My guess (not scientific) is the results in Alberta will be about 1/3 status/single desk, 1/3 who want an open market with the CWB as an alternative and 1/3 who want to get rid of the CWB altogether. Someone (not me) will have to start a contest to see who can forecast closest to the final result.

Comment

wedino, The Alberta Barley Commission,s position on the CWB, is to hasten its demise. Am I wrong in thinking that the Alberta Barley Commission is an arm of the Province of Alberta, and they get their marching orders there?

Comment

Parsley: here is your response to me in a post a few weeks backs regarding Ag Econ Professors providing input into the barley plebisite:

"Jman,

But he (Rolf Penner - small pig farmer in MB) is a fellow farmer, though, rather than a ballet instructor or a drag queen or a botanist studying June grubs".

"You don't mind if the professors are subsidized via scholarships, bursuries, or contract work, but you cannot seem to stand another farmer giving or getting value".

Parsley

Contradicting your opinions aren't you?
        The wind seems to blow in all direction here.

Speaking of studying June grubs, even your hero Steve Harper is now a fan of environmentalism, even preaching about green house gases. Alberta's oil and gas industry is going to be a big loser under new Harper policies. Afterall, who is not going to vote for them next time around, regarless of how he treats Alberta?

They will probably also implement a new environmental taxes on farm fertilizer and fuel too.

Comment

I don't believe The Alberta Barley Commission wants to hasten the demise of the cwb. All it wants to do is remove the chains & leg irons.

Comment

Jman,

On January 22, I made the point that Penner was a farmer, (obviously valued), and noted you resented him getting paid, but you did not show the same resentment towards professors getting paid.

On February 6, I made a posting saying if educated elite (professors) are worth their weight in salt, they will be well paid.

1. I think I have made the point many times on Agr-ville, that I have no issue with paying farmers or professors, and paying them well. You did.
            2. I try to respect other farmers putting their opinions forward. I don't always do it well, but I do aask for their argument, their reason, their logic. But I indicated that I'm happy that the Government, any government, gives a seat at the table, to a farmer, rather than a non-farmer.

I don't think I stated any contradiction.

wedino, I agree. The compulsory, leg-shackling, jailing, force component of the Board has to be removed, along mentality of the Directors who enjoy engaging that force and jailing and fines.

What kind of people enjoy doing these acts to fellow farmers?

What kind of Board would play every card in the book to impede another farmer trying to make a living, rather than trying to help him?

The Bill Nicholson's and the Larry Hills and the Ken Ritters and the Allan Obergs and the Kyle Kornichuks and the Rod Flamans and the Ian McCrearys of the world all appear to agree that farmers should be put in jail for trying to sell what they grow just so the CWB can get more money.

Parsley

Comment

charliep, Do you think that all the professional help/advice we get from the company reps that have taken over for prov
              ag staff is good advice? Isn't it possible that their findings/results relative to research that has been done is bias toward their particular product/system/company that employs them? Most actually seem to be sale oriented and prone to pushing their own agenda! My 2 cents worth....

Comment

That is a question for other farm managers on the web site.

My experience is that most (not all) private industry advisors provide good service to customers. Those that don't soon get caught (neighbors talk to each other). Do you have to check their facts/check up on what they tell you? Absolutely.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...