• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has RR canola been good or bad

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has RR canola been good or bad

Straight cut canola thread got me wondering about what you guys think about GM canola.

Farming in UK without the choice it would seem to be nice if could spray canola and clean up all my weed problems.

Has it been that good or are there unforseen problems longterm?

From what I have seen with my neighboors RR canola the only reason you would dessicate is for dry down purposes.weeds are generally a non issue.Some guys get two applications of roundup in crop and others do one pre-seed.I think it generally works good either way especially with grasses and other perennials.

Comment

Obviously you would dry down with reglone in RR canola.

Comment

Ianben there is a crop production forum which may be more appropriate given the topic.

However, you could ask if growing RR canola has affected pricing and how canola is marketed internationally. That would be a good discussion.

Comment

we grow rr and liberty canola, the rr works good in that u can clean up some dirty land where weed pressures could be a problem. liberty doesent work near as good, especially on thistle , but will still out yield rr in most years

Comment

we grow rr and liberty canola, the rr works good in that u can clean up some dirty land where weed pressures could be a problem. liberty doesent work near as good, especially on thistle , but will still out yield rr in most years

Comment

ricochet, just was curious what varietys of RR you are growing?? I've grown Invigor for years, and now pretty well have switched my acres all to RR.

Comment

Sorry guys we were the first farm in our area years ago to start the RR ready experiment. We are now 100% Liberty canola.
                The RR dont have the same yield potential ever. They create a new weed in future years, now we use express pack with our rr in spring burnoff.
                Can be usefull in trying to clean up a dirty farm but!

Comment

Saskfarmer, I will ask you also what varietys were you growing of RR, because in the last 2 years I've switched my acres to all RR. I previously was growing 5030,and 5070. But after 3 years of side by sides, on my farm, using a weigh wagon. The new Hybrid RR's have beat my Invigors all 3 years.

Comment

Ianben, sorry. To answer your question. I don't see any long term problems with RR, yes I do mix Express Pack, in with my spring seed burnoff to take care of volunteer RR. But that's not such a bad thing on my farm, as we have Dandelion, and some other tough perenials. On my farm the RR system works great, actually for spring burnoff it's unbeatable, not so critical with the timing of spraying.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

GM was banned in UK on frankinstein food argument. Cross pollination leading to loss of organic status, resistance to glyphosate. Third party loosers. Human and animal health issues.

Have any of these been a problem ?

WD9's question would also be of interest

However, you could ask if growing RR canola has affected pricing and how canola is marketed internationally.

Monsanto where also portrayed as the main winners, ie farmers would gain little in the long run.
                      Is the priceing fix still working?

Comment

Its funny RR is priced almost identical in cost to liberty or pursuit varieties. As for a bang for a buck it works in US in soybeans (spray 3 times) but in canola where you generally spray once, no way.

Comment

Organics, the only issue there is the tolerance of zero. Like nature is perfect. If they set some realistic Maximum residue limits, it wouldn't be a problem, but of course they are selling a dream, not a food product grown in the real world.

In terms of health, Health Canada and the FDA have proven over and over again, transgenic is just as healthy as non-transgenic. We've been eating it and has been fed for over 10 years and there has not been a single medical case to suggest otherwise.

The absolute healthiest oil - balanced oil profile, low in saturated fats, and the only oil to have a qualified health claim - in the world which is why it is taking over the food industry because they realize there is nothing better out there.

Besides, doesn't Europe burn all the healthy oil in diesel trucks and eat high saturated artery clogging imported palm? And you're concerned about GMO! Huh?

Comment

WD9,

We must thank ianben and the EU for helping burn down our 2005 crop & last winters large stocks of Canola here in Canada!

There is no question Canola biofuel is the best cold tolerant biofuel possible!

VERY glad the black oil can stay in the ground... and see Canola stocks dwindle... and Canola prices rise!!!

THis is good for ALL of us grain farmers!

Comment

hey, saskfarmer, just wondering when you can't grow f2 liberty canola anymore are you going to go out and spend $5.5-$6 per pound on cert canola.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...