• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Canadian Grains Institute (CIGI) continue without the CWB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am always amazed how threads get pulled off topic. The origninal issue was CIGI funding and how it might happen in a new world. The statement is it will stop when the CWB looses single desk status. Other highlighted other regions of the world/crops in Canada that research, marketing and customer service organizations that operate in an open market. This is a legitimate topic that should be talked about starting with the impact of an open barley market with a CWB alterative.

Comment

charliep: Well, in my opinion...if the CWB is weakened or DESTROYED because of direct federal government intervention, then THEY should increase their contribution for funding of the CIGI over and above what they are currently contributing.

Is that a sufficient answer?

Comment

According to their financial statement, the CWB has made the following committment:

"The Corporation has agreed to fund the operations of the Canadian International Grains Institute (CIGI) for a base amount of $1,985 annually, through to 2008."

Parsley

Comment

From my understanding CIGI funding has been cut and may of it's field workers let go, morale has been destroyed. It has many programs ready to go but no one left to run them . They do have some deadwood at the top that is destroying it. There needs to be a examination of its' management with regards to turfing them. CIGI would be scrapped without the CWB.

Comment

agstar77,

The CWB Directors obviously think they are doing a good job because they hand over the cash.

FYI, even though the CWB does not market or pool the grain exported by the feed mills, it appears CIGI/CWB are offering programs that benefit the feed mills:

"FEED

The Feed area is CIGI's link to international and domestic markets for Canadian feed ingredients. Staff coordinate CIGI programs focused on a number of feed ingredients including wheat, barley, canola meal, flax and flaxseed meal, peas, processed alfalfa, rye and grain screening pellets. Staff are also involved in feed-related studies, trials and technical missions. "

Should the feed mills sponsor their own seminars, trials et al?

Parsley

Comment

This situatuion has only arisen in the last few months and I am not sure of what steps are being taken to address the problems.

Comment

wd9 and Fransisco are on the right track. You don't need a monopoly on buying wheat or malt barley or export feed barley to be able to fund CIGI.

I like wd9’s approach to CIGI – let the industry pick up the ball (and why wouldn’t it).

And Charlie’s right too – it’s too bad the CWB is playing hard ball.

Agstar77 – what CIGI “field workers” are you talking about? And perhaps you can tell us why CIGI funding would be cut by the CWB at this point in time.

Evader – The Auditor General of Canada performed a “special” audit – not a FULL audit as you proclaimed. You should read the document that you referenced and linked to.

The OAG did not look into the likes of CIGI to “ensure that money is being spent properly and effectively”, as silverback was suggesting. It only looked into whether the money the CWB was spending was in line with what it said it was MEANT to do – with no commentary about whether it SHOULD be doing it.

Evader – You know the meaning of a SPECIAL audit by the Auditor General of Canada, don't you?

Comment

FYI

Newsroom
                  CWB and CIGI invite farmers to weather school
                  Winnipeg – The CWB and the Canadian International Grains Institute (CIGI) are inviting farmers to learn how to use low-cost, on-farm weather stations to help make agronomic decisions, enhance production and improve environmental stewardship.

“The new generation of weather stations is inexpensive, easy to set up and easy to use,” said Guy Ash, CWB weather and crops analyst. “There’s no substitute anywhere for the customized data they provide.”

Rex Newkirk, who is coordinating the program on behalf of CIGI, added that farmers are more than ready to incorporate data provided by on-farm weather stations into their individual operations. “Weather information is an important factor in nearly every agronomic or business equation a farmer considers,” he said. “But until recently, the information available to farmers has been very general and nowhere near as useful as what these on-farm stations provide.”

CWB/CIGI weather schools will be held March 6 in Calgary, March 7 in Saskatoon, and March 9 in Brandon. The one-day workshops will run from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and cover: setting up and operating a weather station; creating and using weather forecasts; building a weather network; using growing degree days for crop scouting (Calgary and Brandon); using weather data to maximize pesticide application performance (Saskatoon); environmental stewardship; and more. A variety of weather stations will be on display and a draw for a weather station valued at $800 will be held at each workshop.

The registration fee ($159 in advance or $185.50 at the door) may be eligible for reimbursement through the Canadian Agricultural Skill Service (CASS). Farmers should check with their local CASS representative. Certified Crop Advisor Credits are available at each workshop.

For details on workshop locations and registration, visit www.cigi.ca or www.cwb.ca.

CIGI is a non-profit market development organization dedicated to promoting Canada’s field crops in domestic and international markets through educational programming and technical activities. Core funding for CIGI is from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada and the CWB.

The CWB, controlled by western Canadian farmers, is the largest wheat and barley marketer in the world. As one of Canada's biggest exporters, the Winnipeg-based organization sells grain to over 70 countries and returns all sales revenue, less marketing costs, to farmers.

For more information, please contact:

Guy Ash,
                  Weather and Crop Analyst, CWB
                  (204) 984-6820

Rex Newkirk,
                  Director of Feed, CIGI
                  (204) 983-2031

Comment

erik

Just thought I would post the CMBTC membership list. I note that CWB is only one member (tier 1) out of a few with the vast majority industry. I also note no direct farmer participation outside the CWB.

http://www.cmbtc.com/contactus.htm

I also get confused with relationship between the CMBTC and the Brewing and Malting Barley Research Institute.

http://www.bmbri.ca/about.html

The latter seems more involved with plant breeding. I could toss in the western Grain Research foundation to make my confusion even more.

A suggestion out of the market signals project was to develop an industry group similar to the Canadian Canola Council for barley. Coordinated funding of research and market development (an issue that will need to be considered in a more open barley market setting) would be priorities. Maybe a closer look at what the Aussie is doing is also needed.

Comment

I will likely have the strange privilege of putting agstar77 and parsley on the same side.

I will note that CIGI was looking at investing in a feed processing center (research and demonstration) which I think has died. Putting on another and perhaps more important hat I wear, there is still lots of work that needs to be done to improve feeding efficiencty both from the grain side and feed processing. I might add in environment issues (phytates and nitrates) that are going to come to the forefront.

More research that feeders use in Canada comes from the US and applies to corn. Might not 100 % apply to Canada. Need to look at the Aussie research and market development activites.

Question is to how funded. Will leave there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...