• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday Week 6

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 20 is not 100% safe in our area, but most seed after that.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
      Interesting that Canola is up. There’s very little seeding done around here, but a couple of guys are into the last fields- Canola
      Not a canola grower, but my experience with Mustard is that late/last seeded is generally better.

You can bank the earlier rains for later, hopefully avoid the typical bug cycles, and when it comes to those heat blasts in July the mustard is still cabbaging rather than flowering. Sure it maybe doesnt cabbage as long, but heat stress at that point forces it to start bolting rather than force it to quit flowering. A rain event, even if it is lottery style, will generally follow that first horrid blast of heat and give a late seeded oilseed a chance to flower longer and be able to pull some moisture for podding.

I've rarely rarely oilseed that can "miss the heat" regardless of how early you plant it.

Comment

We found that in our little pocket usually start canola around May 12 . Any earlier and the May long weekend frosts get us 8/10 years

then on the other side any canola seeded here after May 25 the risk get very high for early fall frost
        Last edited by furrowtickler; May 14, 2024, 19:01.

Comment

By the time I get my shrapnel going and get the wheat in it’s never too early to seed canola.

Comment

Could be last day of seeding for 4-5 days .. stay safe

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...