• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cereal Fungicide

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cereal Fungicide

Trying to decide on fungicide for durum. Prosaro Pro, Sphaerex, or Miravis Ace are the products that I am looking at.

Not much but company literature around and they all say their own is the best.

Anybody have experience with these products?

I think most top end products work similarly. For us it seems we have to figure out which product works best in regards to rebate programing that gets the best return. We also use quite a bit of FBN Tebuconazole 250 VP which is a generic of old Folicur for low cost.

?

Comment

I see some list suppression of FHB and Ergot. That piqued our interest.

Comment

Miravis Ace looks interesting with a unique 3rd mode of action. Might try it for a tank and compare it to the prosaro knockoff im using (folicur and proline actives). Spaerex might have the best fhb control but been a long time since it's been an issue what year was that when everyone had it bad 2015?
        Last edited by biglentil; Jun 22, 2024, 22:21.

Comment

Sphaerex and Miravis are both good products. Just use what works best for your programs if u are using them.

Comment

Tough call with a 50/50 chance as of right now for it to make fall frost

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
              Trying to decide on fungicide for durum. Prosaro Pro, Sphaerex, or Miravis Ace are the products that I am looking at.

Not much but company literature around and they all say their own is the best.

Anybody have experience with these products?
              Used Sphaerex on some wheat in 2022. Ergot was certainly an issue in 2022. I observed no benefit of ergot suppression from Sphaerex. Personally a fan of Caramba fungicide, unfortunately I believe Basf is discontinuing its production just like it did to Twinline. Metconazole and Prothioconazole both effective products, Sphaerex seems overpriced for cereals imo.

Comment

We live in fusarium country, minus the last three years (#1 wheat!!) and we spray all our wheat/barley yearly.

Usually buy a little of everything for the programming but use the higher end products (like you listed) on CPS wheat as it flowers longer than a typical cwrs. I believe durum is similar to the CPS so I would go with any that you listed.

We are going to try FNA’s generic prosaro on our cwrs and see what we get for results, cost savings is close to $5/ac.

Comment

Generally when we have used fungicide in the past the results have been disappointing.

But if we think conditions will be there we are going to try.

Comment

Last few years I've left an AB line or two off in each field of cereal fung we do. Shows up on the yield map every time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      Last few years I've left an AB line or two off in each field of cereal fung we do. Shows up on the yield map every time.
                      What kind of yield differences do you normally see? 1-2 bus or 7-8 bus?

It is normally a borderline drought here every year and the few times I have used fungicide it was hard to tell if it helped.

Miravis Neo on my barley 2 years ago did help a lot, but my wheat and canola fungicides were actually less yield due to sprayer trampling.

I have noticed that harvest is later on fungicide sprayed vs untreated.

Comment

We've never used scales.
                        Just the color differential you can apply within your yield maps. So 1-2 bu would be almost impossible to see.
                        I leave a strip and you can see it. Prove/disprove, every time. Depends on year and crop. I have seen easily 20 bpa in extreme cases in cereals.
                        Kernel weight is bushels too.
                        Fung on cereals here becoming common. Peas a must. My experience, canola more hit miss perhaps simply because it's not leaf disease?
                        Obviously drought a different story.
                        But we need to do our own diligence.
                        Couldn't say re later. Makes sense cause it's dead quicker. Some times strips are definitely so.
                        We are in the bushel business.
                        Last edited by blackpowder; Jun 23, 2024, 20:20.

Comment

Expectation needs to be 5+ bpa minimum because you have to make up for those years in which no benefit is seen. Combined triple digit durum and close to it a number of times and have yet to see even a 5 bus difference. Why do we keep sprayin it? I don't know, must be the same reason I keep putting that red shit on the seeds that gets everywhere and coats everthing yet leave check fields every year and never notice a yield difference.

In for a penny in for a pounding.
                          Last edited by biglentil; Jun 23, 2024, 21:17.

Comment

I get it. And once I felt the same way.
                            I don't know your conditions or your fixed costs.
                            But part of the reason we have resistance issues for example, is that for decades we looked at crop maintenance as an expense instead of an investment.
                            I know what drought is and $5.00 wheat for a generation.
                            Test everything for yourself on your own farm. Don't play the blame game. Somehow yields have gone up everywhere over last 40 years.

Comment

20bpa gain that's amazing I would love to see that. We use scales on our checks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...