• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backyarditis

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyarditis

Crops in my area were bumper two weeks ago. We started the year with limited subsoil moisture but had been getting rains weekly to make things look excellent. The heat has been turned up recently and we are into our second week of 30+ degree weather right in the middle of flowering. We can still get an average crop, but that possibility is shrinking daily. I have limited new crop sales, I think there has only been a few days in the past six months that has offered me prices that cover my costs with a margin. And I'm definitely not going to add to sales at these prices.

What are others seeing in their neighbourhood?

We need rain!!

Comment

I will try and boost canola prices best I can. After next wks furnace blast canola crops where I am will be toast. They are almost there at this point. Thankfully I didn’t seed any.
      There are some turning white, and you can see between the rows.
      There will be other areas that will make up for the lost ones.

Cereals have the roller coaster wave starting to happen. Spring started bone dry, turned wet, and now July comes and in a matter of days crops will be toast. There was zero sub soil moisture and it’s now showing up.

Lot of long faces!!

Bring on the hail most are saying.

Even with an average crop there won’t be much money made with these dismal, ridiculous prices.

Wonder how many traders are going to say “these are prices are at historical highs”?

CWB highs!!!!!

Comment

Crusher, we farm east of Red Deer. Just over 5 inches of rain since May 1. We have decent crops but now going backwards daily for sure. I was talking to a friend who lives over by Penhold yesterday. Normally the garden of eden there. Only 3 inches of rain since May 1. He said his neighbour’s canola is turning orange and getting smaller every day. He is cutting Timothy hay right now, looks to be about 1/8 of normal.

Here our pastures are turning brown. Went for a quick drive east last night, canola seeded second week of May finished flowering. Seems crazy early for that. Hollows look good, hilltops are thin. Forecast shows at least 10-12 days without a break. Won’t be pretty. Last rain here June 27.
        Last edited by Hamloc; Jul 17, 2024, 08:01.

Comment

Similar.
          Some poor canola in area from mudding in.
          Cool dark. Now blasting. Peas having short flower window.
          Cereals looked fine where densities good. One chem issue on some, you can see all those rows.
          Losing bushels every week.
          Likely below average yields.
          Gross returns appear below margin.
          Didn't sell enough earlier.
          That's farming.

Comment

This isn't rocket science. It's been dry for over 3 years. There was no subsoil moisture. Roots didn't have to go deep as the rain kept them going. Now you have shallow roots , no subsoil moisture and heat waves. Had it kept raining an inch a week , stayed reasonably cool, all would be good.

It's now, at best an average crop. If the hoppers don't eat it.

Comment

I believe the replies so far are mostly Alberta, me I'm Edmonton. How about the bread basket of the prairies - Saskatchewan?

Comment

Humboldt to Melfort the crops look excellent for the most part. Some of my peas look awful from drowned out, approximately 15% of the acres, but there doesn't seem to be any Aphanomyces. Some of the later barley looks awful as well from excess moisture. But for the most part everything looks really good. The excess moisture is extremely variable with some of the land on my farm getting 8-9 inches and other areas 12. On my farm I've lost 5% approximately due to flooding. I'd rate the crop 8.5 out of 10. The heat and lack of moisture in the forecast may mean that all we harvest is straw, it is far from in the bin. ​

I should also add that are crops are late in maturity for the seeding date, probably at least a week to ten days behind where they should be
                Last edited by Wheatking; Jul 17, 2024, 08:31.

Comment

Crops here remind me of Clint , good bad and ugly. Nothing is certain till it is in the bin. Cereals are okay Canola and beans are late.

Comment

Archerwill to Wadena, I say same as wheatking. Variable for sure, late, shallow roots...10-17" rain, 10% drownouts.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      This isn't rocket science. It's been dry for over 3 years. There was no subsoil moisture. Roots didn't have to go deep as the rain kept them going. Now you have shallow roots , no subsoil moisture and heat waves. Had it kept raining an inch a week , stayed reasonably cool, all would be good.

It's now, at best an average crop. If the hoppers don't eat it.
                      That’s exactly what happened in this area last year , watched a decent crop burn out by now . Definitely helpless to watch.
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 17, 2024, 10:27.

Comment

Drought continues here. Hay yields same as last two years which is 1/2 of where it should/could be. Crops are holding on, Barley looking thin. Everything short. Thought maybe I could buy some fertilizer, nope prices are still too high.

Comment

Good,bad and ugly here lots of water damage and late reseeded crops. Son has canola direct seeded into rye grass ground (sod) that looks great cause it could handle the water. My canola direct seeded into oat stubble is terrible just 1 mile away. No heat for us so far noon today and temp hasn't broke 20 yet.

Comment

As far as canola goes silver is the new green. Plants all went from green to a silver-grey in the sun today.

Comment

Drove into aim today from NE Sask and the wht/oats look excellent, barley poor from water damage, nice looking peas and cnl above average (it’ll be hurting from this continued heat). Nicest crops to me were around Gronlid.

I feel for the pp who had grain buybacks in 21, small crops in 22/23 and now have a decent crop this year and were too cautious to fwd sell any grain earlier on at higher prices (and rightly so).
                              Last edited by jdg364; Jul 17, 2024, 20:12.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...