• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Farm

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two thoughts on this:

1. No
    2. Hell no.

Comment

Originally posted by oldjim View Post
      Two thoughts on this:

1. No
      2. Hell no.
      That’s great but what is your reasoning?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post

If for no other reason, I have integrity and wouldn't want to be a hypocrite after everything that has been said about solar. But I also recognized that money talks.

Comment

Well on a personal level I'm your neighbour and don't really care to have solar panels or windmills in the area. On a business level tying up land in such a long term deal doesn't make much sense. What looks like big money today could be chump change in five years let alone over the long term. Land prices have went up 40-50% in the past three years around here. Who is going to buy it from you should you decide you want to (or have to) sell. In that respect windmills are a better option because at least most of it still remains farmland - similar to having oil wells. Solar panels could end up as fields of weeds - who maintains it? And will it be looked after long term? Or will it end up like abandoned oil and gas wells? I can't see myself ever agreeing to something like that but to each his own.

Edit - here's a sample of what's going on down south: [url]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/threads/farmland-cash-rent-prices-solar.1763876/[/url]
          Last edited by oldjim; Jul 24, 2024, 21:36.

Comment

Do you get all the power you can use free forever - or however long it takes them to decommission those panels?

Comment

Take a look at the downtown of any town or city. What happens to those old buildings. They just sit there until the town condemns them and takes the property in order to clean them up if they are condemned. Same happens to old solar farms. Clean ups on you. Tried to tell that to a buddy who has some on his land. Why don't those solar developers buy land for solar farms?

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                Take a look at the downtown of any town or city. What happens to those old buildings. They just sit there until the town condemns them and takes the property in order to clean them up if they are condemned. Same happens to old solar farms. Clean ups on you. Tried to tell that to a buddy who has some on his land. Why don't those solar developers buy land for solar farms?
                Certainly the question of the day “why don’t those solar developers buy land for solar farms”? Quoted rates by Jazz would certainly make land payments. Is it because they are almost always foreign owned companies?

Comment

Well on a personal level I'm your neighbour and don't really care to have solar panels or windmills in the area.]
                  That’s a little bit hypocritical don’t you think?

In the last year, my neighbour negotiated a natural gas generating station a mile down the road from my place. My other neighbours negotiated a 3 phase high line a half mile down the road from me. My other neighbor put up four 50,000 bushel bins a quarter mile from my property. My other neighbor decided to spray by plane the other day dive bombing over my yard.

And none of them bothered to ask me what I think.

Its always weird that the guys who rent up all the land whispering in widows ears all winter long are the same guys who don’t want anyone to do anything unconventional on their own land.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post

Certainly the question of the day “why don’t those solar developers buy land for solar farms”? Quoted rates by Jazz would certainly make land payments. Is it because they are almost always foreign owned companies?
                    Or does it have more to do with not wanting the long-term liability?

Comment

That and the difference to the balance sheet?

I don't want to start an argument.
                      There are many valid reasons for and against these projects.
                      But I don't believe they're being thought through properly. Experience learned with O&G has been tossed just because of an agenda. Nothing changes. Govts had an agenda then and now.

Would this add to my retirement income and lessen the cash flow burden to my other assets? Yes.

Comment

That’s a little bit hypocritical don’t you think?

In the last year, my neighbour negotiated a natural gas generating station a mile down the road from my place. My other neighbours negotiated a 3 phase high line a half mile down the road from me. My other neighbor put up four 50,000 bushel bins a quarter mile from my property. My other neighbor decided to spray by plane the other day dive bombing over my yard.

And none of them bothered to ask me what I think.

Its always weird that the guys who rent up all the land whispering in widows ears all winter long are the same guys who don’t want anyone to do anything unconventional on their own land.
                        That's the danger of asking other people what they think about something - you might get an answer you don't like. That's the beauty of free speech. And the great thing about property rights is you get to do what you want with your own land, so do what you want with it. If you're accusing me of whispering in widow's ears all winter I think you have your "Jims" mixed up - I doubt if my wife would appreciate me whispering in widows' ears all winter.

Comment

Do the deal. Sell the land and the deal.

Comment

And the great thing about property rights is you get to do what you want with your own land, so do what you want with it.
                            But should those property rights extend to alternative energy installations?

If I install a wall of solar panels along my extreme Southern boundary, and my neighbor installs a wall of solar panels along their extreme Northern boundary completely shading out my panels, does Right to farm legislation apply? Do I have any recourse?

What if my solar panels are just the crops I grow and my neighbor puts up a wall of solar panels shading out the first 100 ft of my crop?

It appears to be the wild west right now as far as property rights and environmental protection and landowner protection goes.
                            Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jul 26, 2024, 14:00.

Comment

Wild West. What ticks the chucks off the most about O&G, is the most ignored about so called renewables.
                              It's about the agenda of the day I suppose. Good luck with right to farm legislation. Not enough people care it seems.

Comment

30,000bpd refinery and solar farm in the works on 5-6 quarters near Bell Plaine

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...