• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday Week 18

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I win?

There's gotta be an upside somewhere... Crop insurance insured at $10.30/bu, and current offer is $8.40, with somewhere around $0.60 trucking involved. Even if i haul it myself, where's the incentive? 20% looks something like this. another 60% was gunning for 40+ and decided to abort 1/2 -> 2/3 of the head. That leaves sloughs and water runs as having some sort of potential.

At least here, I see *this year* everything should have been in the ground between April 25th and May 5th, even though it was freezing every night until the first few days of may.

Current guess:
    CWAD: early (pre may 5th) pushes high 20s. mid (may 20-june 1) does 12-18, anything after June 1 looks like it'll be mid single digits at best.
    Peas: if you got them in early (pre may 20), you'll run 18-35 with earlier being better. Anything after that is less than 20.
    Mustard/(canola): if in may 1-25 theres potential for 12/(35), and if its in after that? probably sub 5/(sub 20)

This is becoming tiresome...

Comment

That stinks. Is this multiple years in a row?

We had 3 straight yrs of claims on peas. Moved over to fabas instead...seem to handle the wet years better ( maybe the heat?).
      complete crapshoot.

Then your premiums go up... yield avg goes down..etc.etc. farming for insurance money sucks. Its a drain on the bank...drain on the farm..
      drain on the psyche.

Sometimes it seems like letting someone rent it all and take that risk might be a better play...

I guess this is the nature of the beast.

Comment

Anyone else but me see renting out more of their land next year?

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
          That stinks. Is this multiple years in a row?
          Yes. The last year we grew an across the board average on all crops was 2019. The last year we had at least one crop average well was peas in 2020.

Comment

Well my wife thinks I should cut back some. She thinks we should spend more time with the Grandkids and she is probably right. Getting out of the cutter bees would be a good first step.
            Our land was always hard to get and took years to pay for. Won’t be easy to let go.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
              Well my wife thinks I should cut back some. She thinks we should spend more time with the Grandkids and she is probably right. Getting out of the cutter bees would be a good first step.
              Our land was always hard to get and took years to pay for. Won’t be easy to let go.
              That is hard, many hang on to long. We all have to realize our time is done. The fortunate have someone to take over, many dont. Hanging on to long kills farms to if someone is waiting to step up.

Comment

Farming is a hard gig! Been doing it for decades now, and feel I’ve done everything I can. We have worked extremely hard, taken many chances, watched the spending, and because of these things have made our farm successful.

There comes a time in one’s life where decisions of big importance have to be made. Farming is changing rapidly on a daily basis. Costs of everything are getting out of control, wnd commodities are plummeting. The risk is now heightened at a higher level. This is risk that I don’t want to take anymore.

Machinery prices are out of control to the point where just paying the interest is worrisome. I won’t be participating in this depreciating iron contest anymore. Tired of working for the banks and stealerships.

I could go on and! I’ve done my career now it’s time yo enjoy what I’ve worked for instead of everyone else.

I feel the next generation is going to struggle if they want to take over.

Im ready for a change, and change is good in my eyes.

Comment

Could possibly get some decent rains today / tonight.
                  the same system that looks to be raining a fair amount in central Alberta .
                  won’t add yield here but would definitely help fill kernel’s and pods and keep weight there .
                  thing’s definitely changed in 5 days .
                  will be preharvesting peas and lentils very soon .
                  crops hung on here and hopefully be decent. We had huge potential but we literally never fortunate like some continuously.
                  on the other hand many others far worse off than us yet again.
                  next worrisome thing will be the full moon around August 19
                  we should be mature enough by then to escape any minor frosts but time will tell .

Comment

Ran was in the forecast for us, now it’s gone … as usual. Would have plumbed up some fields. Now it’s going to be a somber event having to go get light weight rice.

Start signing my cheque SCIC!

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
                      Ran was in the forecast for us, now it’s gone … as usual. Would have plumbed up some fields. Now it’s going to be a somber event having to go get light weight rice.

Start signing my cheque SCIC!
                      Yes the big rain event here is fading away as well.
                      you can watch it dissipate on radar this morning as it comes east again
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Aug 5, 2024, 08:34.

Comment

Got 5mm so far. Little drizzle now. Was away to the us for a couple weeks. Montana Wyoming Idaho. Aside from northern Montana and north central Idaho everything wouldn’t grow unless it has irrigation. Was up by Nez Perce and guys straight cutting canola. Sure a lot more interesting than being stuck in mountain valleys for days on end. Aside from Bozeman and the other larger cities Montana looks tough. Wyoming appears a bit better off. Idaho is booming. I’ve lived north of hwy16 all my life so don’t take any offence you southerners but northern Montana around Shelby no wonder folks are drunk or fried. The most depressing bleak place.

Comment

After o rain for july we got 2.5 inches lasr night . We are hoping for 50 percent of average yield here. Rain was 3 weeks to late.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                            I’ve lived north of hwy16 all my life so don’t take any offence you southerners but northern Montana around Shelby no wonder folks are drunk or fried. The most depressing bleak place.
                            That's how I feel whenever I go anywhere south or east of the parkland.
                            Even Calgary is depressing, brown almost all year round.

Comment

East of Saskatoon through Humboldt Wadena Sturgis Swan River, system left 1-2" rain.
                              Lodged average crops, maybe bushels but tough to cut.
                              Last edited by fjlip; Aug 6, 2024, 17:15.

Comment

Going to be chilly by morning in this area

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...