• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday week 19

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Wheat N of Wadena looks solid heads. May June rain was IDEAL!
    Betting a 100/acre

Side not, us farmers PAY for all the MONSTER elevators and MONSTER dealerships. New new new!

Comment

Originally posted by oldjim View Post

That's close. I sold 2 Red wheat in 1973 for $4.36 initial payment and got 83 cents final payment for a total of $5.19 per bushel. Fertilizer was about $100 per ton, thought I was in high cotton. First year of farming, hell this farming thing is great! Make nothing but money!
      4430 was $17000 on early order.
      Worth about 50% more when it arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post

I had to double check that wheat price, it didn't look right after I posted it. Actual price for 2 RS was $3.49 initial and 82.149 cents final payment (the CWB did love those decimal places) for a total of $4.31/bushel. Fertilizer price that spring was $108/ton for 11-48-0 and $95/ton for 23-23-0. We bought a new Case 1175 in the spring of '73 for $11,500. no trade.

Comment

Originally posted by oldjim View Post
          We bought a new Case 1175 in the spring of '73 for $11,500. no trade.
          About 80 acres of wheat?

It was a great time to get started farming.

Canola seed was about $2/acre
          Last edited by shtferbrains; Aug 10, 2024, 14:40.

Comment

What did canola yield in those days? Think 30 was pretty decent here on fallow with farm saved seed. Some years better but other years under 20. Today with better fertility, weed control, and fancy hybrids yield potential certainly higher but damn I haven’t seen the 50 bu average I’m supposed to be getting lol. Only so much water and growing conditions. I grew far higher yields 8 years ago with supposedly more inferior varieties and moderate fertility than today. Seed prices creep up and eventually we’ll be paying $100 per acre average for nothing better.

Comment

About 80 acres of wheat?

It was a great time to get started farming.

Canola seed was about $2/acre
              yeah but the party only lasted a few years, then land prices and inputs and dont' forget interest rates all jumped like crazy. this of course resulted in the 25 year long doldrums.
              Of course this time is different

Comment

I agree they will get $100 an acre for shit varieties and we will have to pay to play. Add rent Fert equipment and canola is a money loser. They created the shit show we have today.

Hauling clay that's wet isn't fun but next year it will make a nice firm based form 4 more bins.

Comment

Swathing Timothy.
                  When other crops turn yellow and look like crap from rain Timothy gets green and lush!

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                    What did canola yield in those days? Think 30 was pretty decent here on fallow with farm saved seed. Some years better but other years under 20. Today with better fertility, weed control, and fancy hybrids yield potential certainly higher but damn I haven’t seen the 50 bu average I’m supposed to be getting lol. Only so much water and growing conditions. I grew far higher yields 8 years ago with supposedly more inferior varieties and moderate fertility than today. Seed prices creep up and eventually we’ll be paying $100 per acre average for nothing better.
                    If my memory serves me correct, didn’t the canola council or some organization to that effect say by 2025 canola across the prairies will average 50???
                    Would like them to comment on this as well as all these hot shot seed companies. All the adds are out buy before this date and save BIG!!
                    I will save BIG by not buying from these crooks.

Sooner than later canola will cost $100/ac for seed, haven’t soybeans been that for quite some time??

Life is a picnic today to what’s coming!!

Comment

Sorry with inflation 17,000 in 1976 is the same as aprox 88,000 now ! so would need to make 132,000 now to get 50% more

Comment

A similar sized John Deere is about $150000 new now, suggesting an average compounding inflation rate of 5%. Much higher than the stated average cpi. Those that calculate cpi would claim its an improved product since it has a sunroof and a tier 4 engine. However we all know it won't last nearly as long as a 4430. Planned obsolescence is not an improvement.

Comment

In 1997 , a John Deere 9500 was worth $155000. The equivalent combine today worth be north of $700000. Sure the extras are nice but they shouldn't add that much to the price. And a lot of the extras just add downtime not productivity. DEF pumps??? exhaust burns? They are not needed on a combine.

What was wrong with looking at the temperature gauge to see if the combine was running hot. Stop , walk around , take a 10 minute break , blow out the rad.

If something goes wrong now on a combine , it's far longer than a 10 minute break. Chance are you are down for a day waiting for a technician to reset the whole thing with a computer. Productivity is then questionable????

Comment

Bought a new case 1688 in 1995 for 145000 fully loaded with custom cutter package. Combine is still going on neighbours farm.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              In 1997 , a John Deere 9500 was worth $155000. The equivalent combine today worth be north of $700000. Sure the extras are nice but they shouldn't add that much to the price. And a lot of the extras just add downtime not productivity. DEF pumps??? exhaust burns? They are not needed on a combine.

What was wrong with looking at the temperature gauge to see if the combine was running hot. Stop , walk around , take a 10 minute break , blow out the rad.

If something goes wrong now on a combine , it's far longer than a 10 minute break. Chance are you are down for a day waiting for a technician to reset the whole thing with a computer. Productivity is then questionable????
                              The working guts of these machines haven’t monumentally changed for decades neither. Sure they’re improved and more power added but basic concept hasn’t changed. Add more tech around the same old same old. Deere I guess discovered the twin rotor like it was their biggest innovation since the self scouring plow. Though if manufacturers were to build a less complex but equally functional sister to their higher tech model would it sell or would people think they’re going backwards? Versatile built scads of bareback 2425’s and 2360’s with standard trans which didn’t sell in NA like they sold in the fsu. Still a bloody simple reliable tractor which I run.

Comment

i would love a 90s combine just double the size !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...