• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove Alberta from designated area

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Alberta from designated area

In light of all the postings re the CWB debate it is very clear that the philisophical differences are so wide that neither side will ever come to some common ground. Further to that is the ingrained poilitical past of our prairie provinces and the left right impact that it has on the debate. So while it is not a preferred solution to this debate because minorities on both sides will suffer the consequence, a provincial vote to remove Alberta from the designated area might be a minor form of resolution. We already have a system in place( CWB) which does not represent the entire country and we also have precedence in which parts of B.C. were removed from the designated area. We seem so hung up on the rights of the majority and I would suggest that in Alberta the views of the majority are not the same as Saskatchewan or Manitoba. So much for our charter of rights that is designed to protect the minorities.

Excellent. Define the area, prepare the voting list.

Leave before the contingency fund is in a liability position. It will be with this kind of management.

The price of land will rise in Alberta.

Parsley

Comment

Craig,

If Alberta were to move the "designated area" back east to the Sask. border... the Rat Patrol would need to keep much more that just keeping the rats out!

Sounds like a simple solution... I'm afraid it is not that simple...

Comment

I have one comment most of the farmers that want the CWB to die are from Saskatchewan so if its going to gone somewhere it should be here.

Comment

I resent the idea that Sask. are monopoly supporters. I think the line should be drawn on Sask. and Man. borders. Let Manitoba have the board and the board on all their grains. Then maybe Sask. can be a have and not the have not prov.

Comment

I suspect the barley plebicite will tell the story...if we get a breakdown of the vote?
            Not sure how many Sask farmers grow barley? In my area it is our bread and butter, along with canola? Very little wheat, peas, etc. Zero lentils.
            The fact is in a good portion of Alberta the wheat board is a non-issue? We have'nt really sold the anything for several years...other than Malt? Get malt barley out of the CWB and we really couldn't care less?
            Sorry...just the facts.

Comment

You have maybe forgotten cowman, that when cattle prices dropped like oblivious gophers on a warm sunny mound right after the pliiiing, there was a rally of support by all farmers for beef producers.

Somebody cared.

Parsley

Comment

I guess what I'm trying to say is very little grain is sold through the Canadian wheatboard in my area(central Alberta)? I suspect if the CWB was out of malt, more would be grown around here....if the price was right! Right now a lot of really good 2 row barley is moving to feedlot alley instead of into the malt market!
                I would think if there is overwhelming support by Alberta farmers to take barley out of the single desk, while Sask/Man choose to stay, then you might see the Alberta government move toward taking us out of the designated area? Our new agriculture minister is a pretty strong proponent of freedom of choice? I suspect Premier Stelmach put him in there for a reason?
                Of course it isn't fair for the Saskatchewan or Manitoba farmer who is for choice, to be forced to stay in the monopoly...but I believe if Alberta pulls out your redemption might be at hand!!!
                If Alberta shows the way...and if it proves to be the right way...Saskatchewan and Manitoba will soon follow?

Comment

But Cowman that is impossible to have one province like Alberta under an open market and the adjoining province Sask. under a monopoly. I just cannot see that happenning.

Comment

I retract that comment. Your gov't has a backbone. Go for it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...