• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Railroad

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Railroad

[url]https://www.producer.com/opinion/grain-freight-rates-are-a-hidden-cost-for-farmers/[/url] By Kevin Hursh. Read.

The first prize goes to the person who can explain the mechanism built into the original Crow Rate agreement to review the freight rates for farmers. I believe there was. Maybe it's time farmers had our hand at the negotiation table.

The second prize goes to the person who can tell how much per metric tonne it costs to travel by hopper car from Saskatoon to Vancouver.

The third prize is awarded for knowing how much money the Western Grains Research Association has in reserve. With a comment, please, if that amount is sufficient for them to go beyond production research and begin to do policy research for farmers.

Off to pay my respects to TOM4CWB. Hope the marketing freedom tribe is there.

Time for the industry to focus a little on policy.

Excerpt: Or in farmer talk about 2 bucks a bushel to Vancouver

"Let’s use the example of wheat moving from Regina to a bulk export facility in Vancouver on CN. In July 2023, the single car rate was $53.18 a tonne. The next month, the rate increased to $66.44 to start the 2023-24 crop year. By October, the rate was $75.31 and the freight rate hit its peak in November and December at $76.34 a tonne."

At 2 bucks a bushel on a 50-bushel wheat crop, that is 100$ an acre.

This is why I totally encourage the value ad industry in America.​

Bidding 10$ for 14% moisture peas prompt today delivered Sunnydale.
    Last edited by westernvicki; Aug 16, 2024, 07:37.

Comment

Great information Vicki. Good Luck with harvest.

Comment

Thinking that possibly the single car rate would be 1.75x the rate of a whole unit train. Still a big cost

Comment

I want to know why the WGRF is such a taboo subject. I bet the younger generation doesn't know it exists. Someone's making money on that pile just sitting there.
          Corrected.
          Last edited by blackpowder; Aug 16, 2024, 15:24.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            I want to know why the WGRA is such a taboo subject. I bet the younger generation doesn't know it exists. Someone's making money on that pile just sitting there.
            Are you referring to the WGRF?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...