• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

canola sprouting in swath/heating

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

canola sprouting in swath/heating

Started some very heat blasted canola weds that was swathed 10 days earlier. Got busy doing other stuff and finished the field last night and emptied the trailer into a hopper bin today.
    It went 17 bu/acre, 1% green, moisture tests ranged from 5.5 to 8.5 at the elevator while harvesting. There are quite a few sprouts from heat stress/hormones and the front hopper (worst part of the field for heat blast) was heating. Hot to the touch and stunk.

Lucky it yielded so poor the field fit on one super b load? I have air in the bin but dont have enough canola to cover the rocket duct. I don't have more canola ready to top up the bin and hesitate to make it worse.

I have a recirculating batch dryer I can run it through without heat and try to air dry it while blending the crap out if it?
    I didn't get a seperate sample of the heated hopper but the whole load was 9.8% moisture (I did 3 tests while combining and the highest was 8.5. Did it pick up moisture from sprouting?)

Anybody have experience with this stuff? Should I throw heat at it and take it down to 5% so I can sleep at night?

This year can't end soon enough.

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
    winter... my favorite season!

Sorry, no advice here, just a fellow traveler feeling the pain

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
      Started some very heat blasted canola weds that was swathed 10 days earlier. Got busy doing other stuff and finished the field last night and emptied the trailer into a hopper bin today.
      It went 17 bu/acre, 1% green, moisture tests ranged from 5.5 to 8.5 at the elevator while harvesting. There are quite a few sprouts from heat stress/hormones and the front hopper (worst part of the field for heat blast) was heating. Hot to the touch and stunk.

Lucky it yielded so poor the field fit on one super b load? I have air in the bin but dont have enough canola to cover the rocket duct. I don't have more canola ready to top up the bin and hesitate to make it worse.

I have a recirculating batch dryer I can run it through without heat and try to air dry it while blending the crap out if it?
      I didn't get a seperate sample of the heated hopper but the whole load was 9.8% moisture (I did 3 tests while combining and the highest was 8.5. Did it pick up moisture from sprouting?)

Anybody have experience with this stuff? Should I throw heat at it and take it down to 5% so I can sleep at night?

I popped a few pods open on standing canola the other day and there were a couple sprouted seeds in it and the rest were shriveled pepper already. Not sure what best thing to do with it, try and get it cooled down maybe run through your batch dryer on a cooler night.

Comment

I doubt that you have to dry it, but need to cool it down so it doesn’t heat. You would think a super B should be enough to cover a rocket .
        Last edited by Sodbuster; Aug 31, 2024, 20:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
          I doubt that you have to dry it, but need to cool it down so it doesn’t heat. You would think a super B should be enough to cover a rocket .
          I'm not sure, it might be enough? I will check tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

Should would take about 1000 bushels to cover a 18’ bin with a rocket and about 1500 bushels for a 21’ bin assuming there 6’ rockets.

Comment

Had same issue in 2021 , need to cool it

Comment

Just covering the rocket doesn't do any good. Air takes the path of least resistance straight up. you have a cool dry 4 ft circle in the middle of the bin. And a hot wet mess outside of that. Even in a full bin, that can happen.

For extreme cases, I prefer flat bottom bins with crossduct aeration, or full floor.
                If a rocket is the only choice, I would plan on turning the green after a couple of days.

Comment

Why not just get rid of it ??
                  we arent going to see a canola price jump til mid dec and i would expect that we wont see much higher than 14.25 to 14.50

You might be out... 2000 bucks on this load of canola and no headache.....

Youre gonna get crop insurance claim i would think and thats probably worth more than your canola is now?

Comment

I would say get rid of it. A few nights on the truck should cool it down.

Comment

I am looking for a place to take it asap and am getting fans for future use.
                      Thanks

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...