• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent rains , harvest progress

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent rains , harvest progress

This area and west of here , harvest progress has stalled out
    Warmer temps in forecast but will be slow start again today here with many west of here still unable to go for a day or so yet

Lodged Durum and misty mornings combined with continuous showers are driving the BTO’s crazy. There are 22 big ‘operators’ wondering what to do today and they all need to eat. Forecasters promise good weather just around the corner - again.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
      Lodged Durum and misty mornings combined with continuous showers are driving the BTO’s crazy. There are 22 big ‘operators’ wondering what to do today and they all need to eat. Forecasters promise good weather just around the corner - again.
      I guess that’s the advantage at times for us mid sized family run farms .
      we were on wheat , dry going good , then unexpected rain again
      made a quick decision to switch back to canola and keep the wheels going . Canola dry , wheat here still 17.5 yesterday afternoon.
      will stay on canola and finish dry swaths , then when hot and dry again switch back to finish up hrsw.
      that way we are not trying to combine tough wheat then get into overly dry and hot canola .
      storing canola over 30c always concerning .

easy to switch with just a few combines and close land base

Comment

We hit the 60 % mark today. Waiting now on canola to ripen a touch more . Sprayed some with Reglone , see how that works out. neighbour did his and was real happy . Lots coming off just below dry and going in bin 38 degrees. Straw is green , slow going . Yikes. We will wait for cooler temps.

Comment

We’re about 60% done our wheat and 40% of our oats done, still swathing canola but we’re about 2 days behind trying to keep the combines rolling. Wheat yields are probably the best we’ve ever had but not quite up to SF3’s standards.

Comment

Some in our area are finished,others close, some half.Lots of canola left, yields are 25 - 40, most average 30ish. 30 bu canola at 12 bucks equals not much profit.Does anyone do a wheat, wheat, pulse rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
              Some in our area are finished,others close, some half.Lots of canola left, yields are 25 - 40, most average 30ish. 30 bu canola at 12 bucks equals not much profit.Does anyone do a wheat, wheat, pulse rotation.
              Same thing in 90% of this area , like most NW Sask

Comment

Peas and wheat are done. Maybe finish barley today. It's taking forever and not because it's stellar. Suppose to be showery for a few days starting tomorrow, kind of looking forward to a rest. It's been a good stretch of weather but I'm too old for trucking in the 30+ heat. Grain cart/power pole collision and a Macdon header goof up switching to transport didn't make yesterday that pleasant.

You all have a fine day!!

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
                  Certainly agree, most of the canola yields I have heard in this area start with a 3. Some in the 20’s. One farmer did have a half do 42, he happened to get rain the rest of us missed, was a decent looking crop.

Comment

Got done swathing my silage green garbage canola last night. -2 this morning. Not the 55 bushel crop my used car salesman nutrien rep was selling me.

Comment

Canola testing 5 moisture au naturelle, nicest stands are just making 40. Will be lots not making 30. Crop insurance adjusters will be extremely busy.
                      Last edited by biglentil; Sep 11, 2024, 08:36.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                        Canola testing 5 moisture au naturelle, nicest stands are just making 40. Will be lots not making 30. Crop insurance adjusters will be extremely busy.
                        It’s a different way of adjusting than it used to be. They will just look at ur declaration and send a cheque. Audit u next year…..they can’t climb a bin anymore anyways….

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                          Got done swathing my silage green garbage canola last night. -2 this morning. Not the 55 bushel crop my used car salesman nutrien rep was selling me.
                          That ur field in the background? If so that looks to me like u had some chem damage there.

Comment

Fun fun

Comment

The best canola here this year was seeded in April. Anything mid May or later not so good.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...