• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather School

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather School

The cwb is advertising their weather school in calgary in a big way lately. I am mildly interested if only to see what it would be about.

However, can someone please explain how this one day course is really going to improve my decision making now and into the future?

I have been around a long time so I have pretty much figured out that if it rains that is good and when it doesn't that is bad, if it rains too much I need some fungicide, and if it gets too hot I will lose some yield in my canola.

Honestly, will this course help me or not? I might go anyway because it says it is free.

Silverback,

We are developing weather based crop insurance that could be a good alternative to production insurance as now offered through Fed./Prov. systems.

This new system is temp./rainfall driven, specified preset limits will create the insurance to be bought.

We are setting it up to be web based, with templates and opportunity to run senerios through past years weather data to see if the policy being purchased would come close to expectations.

I believe one day we will have GPS coordinated weather stations, linked online through celltowers, and be able to get info from small areas that will be very acurate.

I will report back... if you decide not to go!

Comment

Silverback,

OH DEAR!

"This workshop has been cancelled. It will be rescheduled for the fall..."

THis should make Mr. Hin Happy... one less meeting for me to go to next week!

Comment

What happened? I was going to go.

No interest? I would really be interested in a weather station at our farm to support our insurance levels!

Comment

They tried weather based forage insurance a few years ago. What a bloody joke...determining ones compensation by widely separated rain gauges was disastrous. Many people got shortchanged and indeed robbed by this flawed scheme.

If applied to a grain growing scenario, it would have to be tailored to individual tamperproof sensors over an extensive area to be accurate and fair.

Sounds costly to me.

Oh well, farmers grow money every year. No problem.

Comment

Maybe the only people going were Tom and Silverback and they figured no point putting it on for people that would then just blame the CWB for the weather too.
            LOL

Comment

Could be a security issue, you know, with all the personal threats these days. We are living in sad times

Comment

Only out of the mouth of a seasoned tattletale would staements like that be uttered.

Yuk.

Parsley

Comment

Mr. Hin;

You Said: "Could be a security issue, you know, with all the personal threats these days. We are living in sad times"

Question:

1.)Were the weathermen threatened by growers because of a bad forcasting record/system?

Or

2.)Were there "singledeskers" threatening CIGI and the CWB; because Silverback & I were going?

Comment

If someone buys prime airtime on the leading radio stations to advertise an upcoming event, do the commercials need to keep running even after a cancellation???

The cwb is still advertising for this weather school as of 10 minutes ago.

Comment

Silverback: Maybe the CWB has some of YOUR surplus money to spend.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

... and that is funny how ??

Comment

silverback: Well...you guys are always claiming that the CWB is not returning all of the money.

Comment

wilagro, Well this statement you make ""Well...you guys are always claiming that the CWB is not returning all of the money.""

You know it is true!!

Comment

Well Wilagro, if you were still a farmer, they would be using your surplus money also.

The only difference is that you would still think that your money is better spent by someone else.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...