• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Hinting Guides

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Hinting Guides

Lately every time a goose lands in our field we are swarmed with American Hunting Guides working for an American hunting outfitter. The US hunters are paying $1200 US per day to be guided onto our land to shoot 100s of white geese. The guide camp is a camp of deluxe accommodation in the metropolis of Clair SK. The camp supplies are all shipped in by refer from south of the border. All this money being passed around is headed right back across that US border and the lonely land owner that let them hunt gets jack $hit. Picture this…Today they pulled in with a 30ft flat deck covered in straw that 10 guys sit on and shoot out of. That’s $12000 to hunt on a guys land for 1 day and all I get is woken up at 6:00 am to them pounding the buckshot into the sky. I think something is wrong with this picture.

I’m not sure if this relates to marketing but sure would be nice to tap into some of that hunter revenue.

Comment

The geese don't stop at the 49th parallel in Western Canada, why do they need to shoot them in Canada?

There must be a bit of economic spin-off, it's up to the land owners to ask to be paid for the right to hunt on their land. We never do though.

Comment

It is illegal to charge for hunting on your farmland but the outfitter that doesn’t own the land sure can charge the hunter.

Comment

I did not know that. Why? Because the geese aren't the landowner's?

.....not like the geese own the land, but the landowner's don't own the geese. I don't understand why the landowner can't be paid for access, it's his land.

Comment

If their hunting on your land, you must have given them permission? There's absolutely no way anyone would be guiding on my land. They can buy their own. I've never heard of anything so stupid, letting guys make a living on your land for free!?

Comment

We have a local guide , who raises a young family here locally
              I could care less what Americans pay or not .
              Our guy never disrespects our land ever, when too wet , they walk , never use trucks , never shoot by yards .
              we don’t get paid but they always bring a bottle and a few tool kits and his kids grow up in our community

Comment

You cannot charge for access.
                But some outfitters making it worth your while to have privileged access.
                Which is also illegal.
                It's happening already.
                I'm tired of running a day planner for these guys and having some getting pissy about it.
                A rule change would allow a fee for access. Not fair but fk I'm tired of the bitching.
                Local hunters a bigger pia than the outfitters. First and last time I got lectured, I threatened to post all land.
                That shut em up. Locals the worst.

Comment

Local guy is an outfitter, never an issue and never have problems or a single call other than to say thanks
                  Find a local outfitter that you can trust and give them free reign and absolutely no one hunts unless they give them permission
                  we get several Americans, all very polite but we tell them flat out , unless our guy lets you , too bad , that goes for locals as well

Comment

Definitely.
                    I understand that the game is the King's and therefore public property.
                    Your idea beats running a day planner. Even if not "fair". Thanks.

Comment

I remember some guys talking about how much crop damage some wildlife can do(not a real problem here as for game, can be a different story for gophers---especially for the landowners who don't make an effort to control them). Those guys are probably happy to just have someone come in and hopefully thin them(game) out. I guess it depends on individual experience as to how you handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        I remember some guys talking about how much crop damage some wildlife can do(not a real problem here as for game, can be a different story for gophers---especially for the landowners who don't make an effort to control them). Those guys are probably happy to just have someone come in and hopefully thin them(game) out. I guess it depends on individual experience as to how you handle it.
                        Welcome back Farmaholic.

You just described our area.

I'm grateful there are hunters willing to help control the population. Unfortunately, some years we have more moose in one quarter than there are moose tags in the entire WMU.

The wildlife don't belong to me, I don't think I have any right to deny anyone else access to them. And I certainly don't have any right to complain about the damage they cause if I don't allow hunters.

Comment

Didn't know it was illegal to rent out your own land wow sure is a lot of guys breaking the law You didn't ask them what they wanted the land for those 2 hours.

Comment

Back when we swathed everything we'd have a claim almost every year to geese. Not now. Some areas it's elk. I support hunting. Not childishness.

Comment

Don’t get me wrong we let all hunters onto our property. My beef is the hunters paying huge amounts of money to another American to hunt on my land. Non of that money stays in Canada.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...