• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FNA Export and Terminal Corp

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FNA Export and Terminal Corp

FNA claims it's got all the backing needed to buy Prince Rupert termianal, coming from farmers. That would indicate to me some of the wise ones on here may have some input. Does anyone have concerns over future maintenance fees, liability back to the farm, etc? First glance to me I came up with more questions than answers yet there may be some upsides if the plan comes together? Anyone out there buy in? Thoughts? Concerns?

Prince Rupert? I thought it was the old UGG terminal they were looking at (the one that AU is forced to sell).

Comment

Yes, Vancouver. Brain blip, I was day dreaming. Regardless, anyone with thoughts on the viability of investment?

Comment

On the surface the business plan looks a little weak but on the other hand FNA has been successful in some other endeavours. In today's world of rationalization there is a need to explore opportunities in value chains and encouraging competition. I felt is was in my best interests to support their efforts and see where the chips may fall.

Comment

I bought in. If they are successful with their bid, then I will own the right to ship 1000T of grain to them. THey say I will save from $4-12/T on elevation fees. This is good for 20 years, and stays with the farm. If this goes ahead and I realize even $4/T, then I will pay it off in 4 years. I put my trust in them, hopefully it works out. Considering my fertilizer bill for the coming year, I won't even miss my 15K I spent if it all falls apart - though they say I will get it back if the bid is unsuccessful. I believe that there must be money in handling grain, so there should be some savings.

Comment

Hey,Nicolaas,got an `88 GMC pickup here you might be interested in too!Great runner,4x4.....20 years old and just coming into prime!Just think you`ll only have to keep it for another 5 yrs and it`ll be an antique!Just like your exporting idea.You gotta be from NDP country! Still got it on the brain to see how FAST you can export the jobs and people!Keep it up.....Alberta needs the best people you got!!

Comment

cropduster--??????????

Comment

nicolaas: In the various propoganda packages and phone calls I found the overall plan a bit vague. Did you go to any of the meetings? What happens if the terminal needs major repairs? Is there a "condo fee" type structure or do our returns just decrease? I do like the guarantee of the money returned and once we've bought even a few shares we can buy future shares at that same price. Any flags go up for you yet?

Comment

Cropduster...

Hey give nicholaas a break!

Probably better investment than buying old rail cars... wouldn't it be?

I would be worried about rebuilding costs for the old terminal though!

If we can get things opened up... it could be good for MT and ND grain as well... but I would like to buy into Rupert long before that old terminal in Vancouver!

Comment

TOM4CWB, Rupert would be ideal...you must live in the peace. No such opportunity for that terminal though, and the rail service to there really sucks. The way I see it, the more different players at the coast, the better. I am glad they were able to get enough farmers to sign up to enable them to make a bid. For all the naysayers, I guess we'll wait and see what pans out.

Comment

Frustrated1, they told me the reason for the wide spread in possible savings in elevation fees was to allow for unforseen expenses...they won't know the actual savings they can pass down to the farmers untill they get further into the process...(hopefully there will be some savings!!!). My understanding is that they are going to try to keep on the existing management, and the terminal swap grain with the other terminals at the port such as is the existing practice. Yes there are flags, as there are many unknowns. It seemed to me like they have a handle on it, but only time will tell. So far these same guys have saved me a fortune in inputs and supplies, hope that I can save some money now on the marketing side.

Comment

Glad you took it so well Nic!I hadn`t thought of Tom`s idea.....my `old thinking` surfacing there ,that we would only export `Canadian` raw product!!Jeesshh maybe there could even be another or `twinned` RR thru those slots in the rocks!!

Comment

Nicolaas:

Hope you're ready to ship 1000 MT of non-baords in producer cars to them. Last time I checked, CWB grains are pooled at port and grain elevators ship where the CWB tells them to, even if it means to a competitors elevator. Grain Co's, am I working with out of date info?

Comment

"Hope you're ready to ship 1000 MT of non-baords in producer cars to them. Last time I checked, CWB grains are pooled at port and grain elevators ship where the CWB tells them to, even if it means to a competitors elevator. Grain Co's, am I working with out of date info?"

Ok, you've got to speak slower to me. Why, especially in light of your comments, would CWB grains quit moving into this terminal when it has new owners? Especially considering the back log of ships. If the CWB is dictating the where's and how's of shipping wouldn't they wish to continue to move as much grain as possible "even if it means to a competitors elevator"? Or do no CWB grains go to this terminal now? I'm confused.

Comment

Grain companies are going to want to ship your grain from their elevator to their terminal.

If they don't have a terminal, they have a terminal agreement with one - most (if not all) of these agreements say that these smaller country elevator companies MUST ship your grain to the terminal with the terminal agreement. If they ship it to another terminal, they are in breach of their contract/agreement.

The CWB can direct shipments of CWB grain to the terminal of its choice - typically for a reason though, like it has a financial arrangement with the terminal.

The only way this will work is if the terminal has handling agreements with country elevators and/or the CWB.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...