• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Wheat Associates

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it sure doesn't seem to be the math with you guys.

Comment

But farmers_son with the control the Big 4 have over the beef industry the market does not work that way...Example is the border now-- You guys have $20-30 cull cows- we have $40-50...If the border opens-your price won't go up to $40-50- instead ours will drop to $30...

They have us by the gonads and use wherever there is cheap beef available to hold/run the price back down...

And you will be long in your grave before many of these country's have a true fair trade-as its in each countries politicians best interests to protect their own industry first..

Are you afraid that Canadians won't buy Canadian beef either if its labeled? Are you saying that Canucks will prefer the cheap FMD Argentine beef over Canadian if both were labeled?

Comment

farmers_son QUOTE"I am going to throw out a wild and crazy idea. What would happen if live cattle were the same price in Canada as in the United States? Just like that our cheaper cattle are no longer a threat to your industry. It is not in the best interest of cattle producers in one country to see cattle producers in another country not being paid fair prices for live cattle. Trade barriers, MCOOL for example, only serve to create pools of cheaper live cattle in other countries. The packers operate globally, you are thinking locally. The big picture is that it is in the best interest of American producers to see Canadian live cattle prices on par with U.S. prices. Low live cattle prices in other countries does not support higher live cattle prices in the United States and in fact only benefit the packers."

The more I read this the harder I laughed...Who was the country that set a NAFTA precedent on cattle trade barriers?...Which country refused to allow US cattle north calling "ALL US CATTLE DISEASED"?
        Then came back whining about this "North American Herd" concept- and we'll forget everything, when they found Mad Cow disease and everyone shut off exports?

It took years to get Canada to allow anything to go north-- then in the 12 years of NAFTA there were only about 2 years of actually cattle going north to any numbers (around 1999)...LOL

I was a PROPONENT of NAFTA thinking that it would work great- Canada with their great expanses of grain and feedlots could feed out many of these northern cattle...But then all Canadians decided they wanted to be cowboys- wanted to protect their own calf prices and didn't want US cattle up there- and shot don't NAFTA to me...

Canadians crapped in their own bed- but now want the US to let them crawl into bed with them...LOL

Comment

The Hon. R Wowchuk doesnot worry about the farmer until she goes to get elected evert 3-4 years. She is only concerned about all the CWB employees and their paychecks and what it does for the NDP Budget. I am sure she would like to see more bonus's paid so that they have some more money to put in the Manitoba coffers.

Comment

Canadians crapped in their own bed- but now want the US to let them crawl into bed with them...LOL

With an attitude like that, no wonder you guys are so well loved around the world.

Comment

We don't want your love......or your cattle!!!

Comment

But do you want our natural gas and oil, electricity . The only way to solve the problem is to strap 2 barrels of oil on each head that crosses the border and I am sure you would be more than willing to accept , after the pipelines get shut down.

Comment

"You guys have $20-30 cull cows- we have $40-50...If the border opens-your price won't go up to $40-50- instead ours will drop to $30... "

OT, you really, DESPERATELY, need to do your research better.

Before the BSE border closure, our culls were significantly higher priced than your own. A 1200 lb cull would fetch $700 - $800. Did your prices echo that? They did not, but they were coming UP.

Why is that? Because our two markets are tied together, due to the multi-national packer. They will buy where ever is cheapest, and divert processing time to whatever makes them the most money. Its called a global economy, and unless the US makes it illegal for multi-national companies to operate within their borders, all prices will eventually hit a GLOBAL equilibrium. Your local view is small, and completely inaccurate in todays world.

So when that border opens up, you're going to see a slight drop in your cull market that will quickly recover once a new equilibrium is found. Since Canada delivers so little beef to the US (in comparison to your own slaughter numbers), I'll be shocked if there is any overall net effect.

Rod

Comment

Even Australian consumers and cattlemen want and are getting M-COOL... Looks like Canadian cattlemen and hog farmers are about the only ones not proud enough of their product to want it labeled...

----------------------------

ABC Rural Australia

Thursday, 08/03/2007

There is growing frustration at the slow roll-out of new food labels, designed to tell shoppers how much of a product is grown in Australia.

The Federal Government says the new 'Australian Grown' logo is expected to be in use later this year.

David Gartrell was a member of the committee set up to review current labelling laws.

He says the new system was ready to go in December and is now questioning the motives behind the delay in releasing it.

"I think they are certainly using it as an election tool as well, but fair enough, as long as they get into it now and move," he said.

"One of the things ... was it is being submitted to the ACCC for final approval, which is strange because the ACCC sat in on all these workshops.

abc.net.au

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...