• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PM Stephen Harper promises $1B in aid for farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM Stephen Harper promises $1B in aid for farmers

47 minutes ago

By Tim Cook

SASKATOON (CP) - Prime Minister Stephen Harper came to farm country Friday to announce $1 billion for farmers and, along the way, take a backhanded swipe at Saskatchewan NDP Premier Lorne Calvert.

Harper, speaking at a farm west of Saskatoon, said the money fulfils an election promise to replace the Canadian Agricultural Income Stabilization program with "more predictable, bankable and responsive to the cost-price squeeze." "Canadian farmers deserve an ally in Ottawa and that's what they've got," said Harper, speaking in a Quonset hut beside fellow Saskatchewan MPs and supporters.

Harper said farmers need help because input prices have risen three times higher than production prices.

"This imbalance has caused hardship for farmers across the country and that's what brings me here today."

The funding includes:

-$600 million to kick-start new contributory-style producer savings accounts once agreements are reached with provinces and territories.

-A $400-million direct payment to producers this year to help address high production costs over the last four years.

Harper noted his Conservative government is also working with provinces on improving areas like production insurance and disaster relief.

Bob Friesen of the Canadian Federation of Agriculture called the new money "an investment in agriculture.

"It's very good news for farmers who are coming out of the worst four years in income in their history," he said.

David Marit, president of the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities, said "any time you see new money in agriculture you have to be excited about it.

"How the ($600-million) program is going to play out? We'll have to wait for the details."

The announcement was one of number made by Harper across the country this week, including more money for transit and for pollution-fighting projects in Toronto, and money to combat greenhouse gas emissions in Alberta.

A reporter noted Harper had accompanied Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty and Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach for those announcements, but that Calvert was not with him Friday.

"This is not a Canada-Saskatchewan announcement. This is a national program," he said.

He said they are discussing joint initiatives with a number of provinces but are struggling to get deals done in Saskatchewan on areas like funding for pollution-fighting projects and patient wait-time guarantees.

"These are two important things for the people of Saskatchewan," he said.

"Most of the provinces have signed on or are ready to sign on for these. The government of Saskatchewan isn't.

"I would encourage the government of Saskatchewan to sign.

"I know the government of Saskatchewan is not a supporter of our party federally, but I don't think partisan politics should stand in the way of making a good deal for the people of Saskatchewan," he said to a round of partisan applause.

Calvert's government has been pushing Harper's Tories to live up to their election promise to exclude non-renewable resource revenue from the equalization funding formula.

Harper said all will be answered in the March 19 budget.

"These will be a series of policies to establish predictable, principled, long-term transfer arrangements between the federal government, the provinces, and other levels of government.

"I'm confident we will fulfil our commitment and Saskatchewan will be a big winner. Whether it will be enough for the NDP is another question," he said to laughter.

Thoughts everyone?

Looks to me like we might be getting another NISA.

Comment

Yes NISA #2 with some important improvements according to the prime minister. It will be interesting to see what these improvements are. As for our premier Mr. Calvert, he is getting snubbed just a wee bit for his grandstanding. It is too bad that politics always has to get into agriculture policy. It seems to be such a waste of time and energy that could have gone into the development of new policies.

Comment

Okay , so we will get more civil servants looking out for us . What a commie bunch!!!! T.I.C. Can you spell ELECTION??

Comment

Quite a scene to see the Tory faithfull lined up at the trough, cap in hand congratulating Harper on delivering more pre-election subsidies with taxpayer's dollars. I thought the Tories and their supporters stood for free enterprise and market choice? "Get the government and the CWB out of my business" goes the rhetoric.....

Comment

The "Devil is in the details", as they say. Lots of conditional promises and it sounds like some unilateral policy changes with or without provincial input OR support. Not including the Sask. gov't in the initial planning and the subsequent announcement of change, is in my mind a bad mistake but what else can you expect from this "New Canadian Gov't". Arrogance on Harper's part is not going to smooth the way for an amiable transition to a new agricultural support program IMHO.

The take or leave it attitude of Harper will undoubtedly sour relations between the Feds and Sask., to an even greater degree.

Comment

Wilagro, Chuck Chuck, and Agstar:
              I guess you guys should be sending your portion of the 400 million pay't back. Can't take any of that dirty Tory money.
              Gimme a break!!!! You guys will be first up at the trough.

Comment

give me a break, Lorne Calvert needed a wake up call.
                He cries and cries and cries. Why do we have the worst crop insurance system in Canada compared to all provinces.
                ASK Calvert!
                Why do we have no Ag Vision in Saskatchewan
                AS CALVERT
                Why do we keep failing on Rural Saskatchewan
                ASK CALVERT
                He cares only about the cities and getting elected and the sooner he goes this province will have a chance.

Comment

I can't believe what I'm reading. Wilafro, Agstar, ChuckChuck, WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT??? We finally have a PM who is willing to make change, and yoy guys cry like a bunch of little babies.

Are you guys telling me your happy with CAISP?? Hours and hours of complaining here about, "our Gov't has to get on board with the farmers", we can't compete against as US subsidy system". And now we try to make a step in that direction, and you guys complain?? Give your heads a shake!

Jackflash, I agree with you totally I asked a similar question last year. So if you guys get the money you will send it back right??

To the guys that do realize this is help. Anyone heard if it is passed how the payment will be processed??

Comment

the poll numbers are good.

this is based on the budget passing, so its election time.
                    their gonna take a stand on the budget hopeing it will be defeated. and go to the polls .

everything in it sounds good, but its meaningless, in the end your gonna get what ever a majority conservative wants to give you.

Comment

Snappy , give your head a shake, none of us want to be told what to do by government or large grain companies. The problem with the cons proposed system is that it creates a new program with more bureaucrats along with CAIS. Here we have a government saying CWB bad Free market good ,then they turn around and say we need more subsidies. They obviously believe getting rid of the CWB won't solve the income problems, as they are proposing increased subsidies like the U.S. So what happens when the government of the day is short of cash? Presto farm programs are cut. In my opinion a better way to structure agricultural production programs, lies in linking agriculture to food security as a hedge against natural disasters. While the free market system is good at balancing supply and demand , it doesn't exist in any country because of all the distorting programs. Do you really believe you will have more freedom with larger subsidies? The real issue is that food is not a discretionary purchase, everyone need it. That is one of the reasons the supply demand system can establish prices but cannot satisfy world hunger. If the goverment was sincere in wanting to help , they would lay the law down to railways to start investing in new infrastructure to make the system more efficient instead of decreasing service and increasing rates. Railways have a duopoly on service and have a duty to improve service with some of there profits.

Comment

"Do you really believe you will have more freedom with larger subsidies?"

Agstar, ask an American farmer this year how well he will do compared to how you will do. That will answer your question.

So then Agstar I can assume you will be sending your cheque back, seeing how it's dirty money right. And if you don't you're a Hypocrit I guess.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...