• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is Running the Show!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is Running the Show!

OTTAWA — The Canadian Wheat Board’s fight to maintain its barley monopoly is now a game of chicken with the Tories as the Winnipeg-based agency announced it will drop barley rather than give into the Tory vision of marketing choice.

The wheat board’s threat came as it signalled it will not automatically surrender its status as the single-desk seller of prairie barley if federal Agriculture Minister Chuck Strahl moves within the next week to strip it of its monopoly as expected.

“We are calling on the Government of Canada to carefully consider the consequences of the future of barley marketing in Western Canada,” the board’s chairman Ken Ritter said in a release. “We look forward to discussions with Minister Strahl that result in common-sense business solutions.”

With the ballots now counted — but not yet announced — in the barley plebiscite on the future direction of the board, the CWB announced it can find no business case to justify marketing barley on the open market.

The announcement left Strahl disappointed the world’s largest marketer of barley and wheat would not wait until the results of the plebiscite were announced.

“Let’s all of us take a deep breath and wait for the results and then try to as best as we can to respond to what those wishes are,” Strahl said in an interview.

“I am surprised they are putting out a press release before they even know the results of the plebiscite.”

Strahl maintained the wheat board would remain viable as a marketer of barley if it comes up with a business plan that makes use of its brand strength for the open market.

“I still think there are a lot of farmers who say, ‘I want to continue to use the board,”’ Strahl said.

However, Keystone Agricultural Producers president David Rolfe said it’s hard to see how Strahl’s vision would work for the CWB.

“It would be very difficult for the board to make a business case under those circumstances,” Rolfe said. “It would be difficult to justify running barely pools without knowing how much volume they would handle.”

In an open market, Rolfe said farmers would be motivated by price, not any loyalty to the CWB.

Ritter’s pronouncement came after the board of directors conducted an analysis that determined no other marketing option comes close to achieving the value the single desk brings to barley farmers.
    Is it just me or is the CWB basically being run by the Liberals. Like what the hell is going on.
    just a thought.

<blockquote>"In an open market, Rolfe said farmers would be motivated by price, not any loyalty to the CWB." </blockquote>

Thank-you David for finally admitting that the CWB's prices are bringing up the rear. Now explain to us why Kap wants to refuse farmers their freedom for lower prices?

Comment

Ritter and the CWB are acting like spoiled brats with a right of entitlement there think they are losing..........That does sound like the Liberals.

Comment

Here's a quote from a quote in Larry Weber's Commodity Newsletter this morning:

Hon. Ralph Goodale (Wascana, Lib.): Thirdly, the allegation has been made that the board has not done contingency
        planning in relation to a number of matters, but most especially what happens in the event that a plebiscite
        succeeds and therefore the process and the act is triggered, and so forth. Reference was made to contingency
        planning.

Mr. Adrian Measner: You have my assurance as CEO that we have looked at contingency planning very
        seriously. We are looking at the barley issue very seriously. We will be ready for whatever changes are going to be made there.

I do want to know what those changes are. If there are going to be changes, I want to know whether there are going to be guarantees. If we're involved in barley, I want to know if we're going to be able to use the contingency
        fund to backstop that.UNQUOTE

Parsley

Who doesn't know what they are talking about, Measner or Ritter?

Comment

Did anyone hear Billy Toews moaning and groaning on the radio yesterday about how the plebiscite is so terrible and that its a joke? Does he already know the outcome or is he just making a prediction?
          I would have thought he would wait until the results are out so that they can claim a huge victory when they get 40% support for the monopoly....

Comment

Do you remember what the station was and the time he was on? We can probably look it up on a radio archive.

Comment

It was on a local Manitoba station cjrb1220 yesterday. I tried finding a archive but i dont think the station has much for online content.

Comment

PSAC, the union "representing" civil servants at Ag Canada is having a Regional Seminar Sat, Mar 31 at Moose Jaw. You won't believe who the speakers are---- Larry Hubich from Sask Federation of Labour and the most relevant Nettie Wiebe who will give a presentation on the Wheat Board - I suspect they mean CWB. Interesting what her slant on Wheat Board could have to do with civil servants and UNIONS.

Comment

Couple that with this.......David Orchard,and Stephame Dion will be in Saskatoon on March 31 protestign over the CWB. They are calling all kinds of farmers with demon-dialing.

Now that wouldn't be becausae Juno camera's will be in Saskatoon, would it.

Think about this Agri-villers....David Orchard as Stephane Dion's Minister of the CWB!

That is Rick Mercer material.

Parsley

Comment

I think that David Orchard would do a credible job if he was responsible for the CWB. He seems to be quite in the know and is an active farmer.

Too bad that the "New CONservatives" didn't recognize his abilities as well...he could have been working for them.

Comment

How much do you want for those 2500 bushels of barley you are still holding wilagro?

Have you checked for rats?

Comment

We don't have rats in Alberta (other than the ones in gov't). We are the ONLY rat-free province in Canada. Our rar control people patrol our border with Sask. and the U S of A constantly.

There have been incursions but we have controlled them so far.

Thanks for your concern though...nice to know that we have such caring neighbours.

Comment

Well, I have to correct my post. They will be in Saskatoon on April 1, not March 31.

It's for for April Fools Day.

Orchard and Dion will be at the Bessborough in Saskatoon on April 1.

Could they be auctioning off 2500 bushels of slightly moving barley to raise money for Dion? Or dumping it in front of the Bessborough just for April Fool's Day?

Parsley

Comment

Yes, such caring neighbors like you, agstar, vader, benny.

So caring to have to force the rest of us to submit our produce to the great collective for so many years just so you didn't have to compete against us.

So caring to agree to the jailing of farmers for trying to sell their own product for a few cents more.

So caring that you would rather limit the processing sector in the da and allow the farmers in ontario and quebec a free ride, than see your neighbors succeed right here in the west.

Yes, you pro board folks are the poster boys of caring for other farmers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...