• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What City People Really Want From Farmers!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What City People Really Want From Farmers!

Read the following here is a reporter from Regina believes. After reading it I just about lost it, But my NDP neighbors are all astonished how the Great CWB is being torn down by the Conservatives. Read.
    BRUCE JOHNSTONEBruce Johnstone is the editor.
    financial
    So Agriculture Minister Chuck Strahl got his wish and 62 per cent of 29,000 western Canadian farmers voted to get rid of the Canadian Wheat Board’s monopoly over barley sales.

“What a great day for western Canadian farmers,’’ Strahl enthused. “Sixty-two per cent of barley producers said they want their freedom of choice to market their own barley … We are going to give them the choice that farmers demanded.’’

Maybe it was a great day for Strahl and Stephen Harper, but I’m not so sure it was a great day for western Canadian farmers and Canadian democracy.

First of all, 62 per cent of farmers didn’t vote clearly for marketing choice, as Strahl would have us believe.

In fact, 45 per cent of the 15,300 Saskatchewan producers who voted — roughly half of all the producers polled — wanted the single desk retained, as did more than 50 per cent of 3,700 Manitoba producers.

Only in Alberta, where the government campaigned against the CWB monopoly on barley marketing, did a clear majority (63 per cent) favour marketing choice.

But what does marketing choice really mean?

In addition to options to keep the status quo or remove barley from the board, the plebiscite posed this loaded option to producers: “I would like the option to market my barley to the Canadian Wheat Board or any domestic or foreign buyer.”

Could some producers have been fooled into believing that they could have their cake and eat it too? In other words, keep the Canadian Wheat Board but have the option to market their grain elsewhere?

Why wouldn’t they? That’s what Strahl kept telling them, even though Strahl’s own handpicked task force said operating the Canadian Wheat Board in an open market was unworkable.

As the National Farmers Union president Stewart Wells noted, ask a misleading question and you’ll get a misleading answer. Wells said many farmers voted for Option 2, thinking they were supporting the CWB.

In fact, it was surprising the Tory government didn’t receive a more resounding vote in favour of “marketing choice,’’ given that the deck was stacked against the CWB from the getgo.

Here are just a few examples of the questionable tactics used: misleading plebiscite options; issuing “gag orders’’ against CWB directors and staff; firing the CWB president during the election; arbitrarily changing the voters’ list during the election; disenfranchising thousands of producers; sending multiple, numbered ballots to producers, then calling them to ask which ballot they wanted counted; no third-party spending limits; etc.

The list of dirty tricks and undemocratic practices (no public voters’ list, no secret ballot, no thirdparty spending limits) would make a Third World dictator blush.

But it appears that Strahl and company aren’t finished yet. Not content to trample over producers’ democratic rights, the Conservatives want to push through changes to the CWB without passing legislation.

Strahl believes barley marketing can be dropped by simply changing the CWB’s regulations. The CWB thinks otherwise and is threatening to take the government to court.

The last time this happened (when then-agriculture minister Charlie Mayer removed barley from the board in 1993), the Tory government lost the battle in the courts and were defeated in the following general election.

I’m not suggesting that the barley plebiscite challenge will bring down the Harper government. But the government knows it would face an uphill battle to pass anti-CWB legislation in this minority Parliament.

Therefore, Strahl is attempting to do indirectly (change the board’s regulations) what he can’t do directly (pass legislation ending the monopoly).

Whatever one thinks about the Canadian Wheat Board, the tactics employed by the Conservative government during its year-long battle with the CWB are reprehensible, undemocratic and possibly illegal.

All Canadians should be concerned about the depths to which the Conservatives will sink in order to sink the Canadian Wheat Board.

When someone that understands business, hell he is their financial editor so he should and he only takes the Farmers Union side and the Liberals WE HAVE A BIG PROBLEM>Why not talk to a real farmer and get their opinion. Now the Question was rigged. Yes do it again and this time the NDP and Liberals should pay for the plebiscite and ask two questions.
    1 Keep the CWB.
    2 Kill the CWB.

Winner #2 by a landslide.

or should it be.

1. Keep Liberal and NDP Farm Programs and influence.

2. Take all Liberal and NDP farm programs and influence and watch Agriculture Grow.

Winner #2 by a landslide.

I see that you don't like the truth much. About time you were exposed to it, instead of just listening to Strahl, et al.

If you have any other similar articles, please feel free to post them. A breath of fresh air, to be sure.

Comment

Why is a financial editor writing about voting process, a political issue?

Not once did Johnstone make a comment on the financial implications of a choice market. Closest thing he said to something financial-like was when he used the CWB mantra "having your cake and eating it too". On second thought, that really wasn't financial-like at all.

Oh yeah - and he seems to get his facts wrong:

<i>62 per cent of farmers didn’t vote clearly for marketing choice</i>
      Huh? I thought they did: 48.4% wanted choice - including the CWB (these are the guys that said I don't want the the CWB but since others seem to, let them have it) and 13.8% wanted choice - excluding the CWB (these are the guys that don't see any value from the CWB whatsoever and are willing to make a statement. Add 'em up: 62.2% want choice. Sorry, Mr. Johnstone, you're wrong.

<i>Strahl’s own handpicked task force said operating the Canadian Wheat Board in an open market was unworkable</i>
      The task force talked about a strong and viable CWB in a choice market. As a news editor, Mr. Johnstone needs to be much more careful in his research.

Mr. Johnstone listed "questionable tactics" used to stack the deck against the CWB. However, the ones he listed probably alienated farmers from the government, possibly pushing them to support the CWB.

As a financial editor, how about writing about the financial impact of the CWB - poor farmgate returns from poor sales performance and high cost structure; lousy market signals; inability to serve the maltsters adequately; economic impact on the farm community through lower prices of non-CWBs; and so on.

But it appears he'd be more likely to expound on the U of S barley study that says the CWB brings in $59 million more than an open market would. (You know the one - the one that doesn't prove the $59M nor does it talk about the higher cost to get those premiums.)

But don't even begin to bore me with support of the uber-flawed PWC report on the economic spins of the CWB. (Puke.)

If this is the best we can get from editorial commentary, we're in deeper doo-doo than I thought.

Comment

Notes to wilagro and the rest of the Borg:

<i>As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.</i>
        - Josh Billings

<i>Truth is a good dog; but always beware of barking too close to the heels of an error, lest you get your brains kicked out.</i>
        — Samuel Taylor Coleridge

<i>Truth resides in every human heart, and one has to search for it there, and to be guided by truth as one sees it. But no one has a right to coerce others to act according to his own view of truth.’</i>
        — Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

The truth is willy that choice won.

62% of the vote, 3 out of 4 provinces with the 4th one split right down the middle, add it all up and 70% of the acres didn't want the status quo monopoly.

It's not the truth that's the problem, its all of you who can't handle the truth or live by your own standards.

Comment

Chaffmeister,

In our trip to Quebec last week... interesting perspectives were voiced!

Like the tradition of allowing the democratic vote to be followed... to know that each person voted... when, where, and even how!

You say How?

THe people from each organisation pole and track each person...

ASK them before they vote how they vote...

And exit poll them and ask after they voted how they voted!

Quite simple...

When you add Chariman Ritter and presumably Goodales logic (he didn't oppose it in any manner) to this:

That you can get much more done with a gun and a smile... than just a smile...

An interesting discipline enters the picture!

Will your favorite dog still be alive when you get home?

THis is an interesting part of Canadian culture what was used in the past... often determines where we go in the future.

UAP governance comes at a cost... as does the CWB, as do the new Conservatives.

Upon close examination I will take the Conservative methods of governing any day... over the UAP or CWB history and methods!

We are still forming and determining Conservative governance as it is just about a whole 3 years old! But those old Reeeform roots die hard! Thanks Preston!

God Bless Canada!

Comment

Johnstone and his backward buddies are running scared. It is amazing how many CITY guys are so passionate about denying the peons their rights.
              The barley ballot was more than fair. It gave 3 choices and there really are 3 alternatives. I doubt that the CWB would disappear if it was lead by real business people and not whining willies. That includes you, Johnstone. Why don't you, Ritter, Toews, and all your union friends take your toys and go home. You lost!

Comment

tom: How do you find all this time away from your busy farm? Seems like your on the road every day?

Do you think you represent the typical farmer who needs to put in a full days work everyday? Perhaps you can explain yourself?

Comment

Mr. Hin,

I find it interesting that my learning how to better manage Farm: Human Resouses, Finances, Assets, and Risk would be time poorly spent in anyones idea of todays farm manager.

Perhaps you could explain why my learning how to become a disciplined marketer and manger is not "work" in your mind... and not worth of being considered as "valuble" to my neighbours?

Hopefully I have been disciplined enough to share many of the principals and realities directly affecting family farm managers... that can help them cope with these challenges society throws at us today!

Is there something wrong with this?

Comment

Wilgro again you just amaze me " the truth hurts "
                    We won what truth hurts crap.

But the true colors come out for years farmers have been kicked in the head by people who have made carriers out of doing nothing and being paid to do it.
                    The CWB had its place in time but they got like a big Bureaucracy and forgot who they work for and created what we have today.
                    Its time to turn the page in history and create a new.
                    Were at that place now.

Comment

The vote is over so lets get onto deciding how the future will unfold. It will be a very different enviornment for a lot of people. The one difficulty that I find with the free market system is that an elementary fundamental of making the free market function is that everybody has equal access to capital resources. It is one thing to be well educated into the functioning aspects of the market but to be able to take advantage of the knowledge that you have been able to acquire. For instance to be able to wait long enough for the market to strengthen to market your crops into too the higher market due to a shortage of money. I have found out the hard way over the years with lentils and peas. No sense me whining and crying I like to think with each passing day I get better and better able to deal with it.

Comment

Tom: You are delusional. You rant and rave, spew BS, most of us laugh at your threads. Did you notice that hardly anyone ever provides a serious response to your postings. Even most of the anti-cwb'ers on this site laugh at your comments (at least that is what i learned at the last 3 alberta farm meetings i attended). Your preaching reminds me of all those southern USA Tele-Evangelists spewing their corrupted version of scripture. And at the same time, take all the donated money and buy multi-million dollar homes in several locations and own personal jets

Did you know your friend frisco posts under at least 4 handles on this site?

Comment

Your estimate is a little on the low side there Benny.

Comment

BennyHinn,

Your personal attacks on Tom4CWB are not only distasteful, but the fact that you chose not to add meaningful debate to this website instead of character assasination of Tom, is telling.

Tom4CWB has been a long time and valuable contributer to Agri-ville, and I find it offensive, that just because you know his identity, that you repeatdly chose to personally insult, while hiding behind your pen name.

Readers appreciate Tom4CWB's wealth of information in so many different areas.

Learn to appreciate your fellow farmers.

Parsley

Comment

Mr. Hin,

Proverbs(18:12) Before his downfall a man’s heart is proud,
                              but humility comes before honour;

(11:27) He who seeks good finds goodwill,
                              but evil comes to him who searches for it.

Bless you Benny, I hope you and your family have a great year!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...