• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dion and Ralph Love in Saskatoon!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dion and Ralph Love in Saskatoon!

Here is a excerpt of what our Liberal Friends really think of farmers.
    Liberal Leader Stephane Dion called Sunday for the Conservative government to toss out the results of a Canadian Wheat Board plebiscite he described as “tainted” and dishonest.

Speaking to a Saskatoon hotel ballroom packed with more than 250 farmers and spectators, Dion characterized a plebiscite asking barley farmers about the future of the Canadian Wheat Board as a ruse orchestrated in a way the Conservatives could manipulate the results to support their goals.

“You deserve an honest question, a clear question, asked through a fair process (that’s) binding,” Dion said. “Let’s tell (Prime Minister Stephen Harper) to stop forcing his ideology down your throats. Let’s tell him to show some respect for farmers and show some respect for democracy.”

In last month’s plebiscite, barley farmers were asked to vote for one of three options: To retain a single desk for barley marketing, to have the option to market to the Canadian Wheat Board or another buyer of their choice, or for the wheat board to have no role in marketing barley.

About 38 per cent of 29,000 farmers voted to retain a single desk, 48 per cent wanted the choice to market to the wheat board or other buyers, and about 14 per cent wanted the wheat board out of barley marketing.

Speaking in front of a screen depicting a rustling wheat field under a sunny Prairie sky, Dion said the option of “choice” is based on a false premise, since the wheat board would likely crumble if it lost its monopoly on marketing grain. A fair vote would have just two options, he said: Single-desk grain marketing or an open market.

“The wheat board is under assault — an assault more brutal than anything we’ve seen before,” Dion said, backed by Liberal MPs Wayne Easter and Ralph Goodale, and supporter and trade critic David Orchard. “Because of ideology, Prime Minister Stephen Harper is determined to kill the wheat board. That is his plan. That is his goal. And I think he must be stopped.”

The phrasing of the question wasn’t the only problem, Dion said. A gag order on what board directors could say is troublesome, he said. The demise of the wheat board will jeopardize railway links in rural areas, putting small towns at risk, Dion said.

If the wheat board is dismantled, Goodale said, it will benefit American farmers and “the greatest rejoicing will happen in Washington.”

Such a move may also be versible, he said.

“It is very difficult to put Humpty Dumpty back on the wall again,” Goodale said.

Although many crammed into the Bessborough Hotel Sunday were cheering and clapping for Dion, there was a vocal group of supporters for choice in marketing their grain.

Charles Anderson, with the group Market Choice Alliance, said Dion’s stance that the plebiscite question was too complex for farmers to comprehend is insulting.

Why are the Liberals so against changing the CWB? Maybe when the books are finally opened on this one Ralph wont be able to talk his way out of it again.

Oh yea packed ball room! it can hold well over 500 people so the reporter got it wrong again.

Comment

"Maybe when the books are finally opened on this one Ralph wont be able to talk his way out of it again."

Now there's a gem worth jotting down.

You first heard it on agri-ville.

Parsley

Comment

Let's get real.

The strongest statement anyone has ever made in support of the monopoly is:

<i>the wheat board would likely crumble if it lost its monopoly</i>

<b>LIKELY</b>

They don't know - they won't ever know unless they try. They seem to underestimate what they could do with sound business relationships and market savvy.

Cargill was in Canada for close to 50 years before it bought any assets here. <b>50 years!</b> Successfully trading export grains without a brick of an asset.

Toepfer is one of the most successful trading companies in the world - <b>with no handling assets</b>.

Over the years, most of the CWB's own AEs have not owned assets. It's not even a prerequisite. AE's are "selected" based on their global reach, not their ability to elevate. Currently, there are 17 AEs: 10 don't have export assets.

<b>How do they do it!?</b>

Ken Bitter said in his response to the plebiscite results: <i>You cannot have a strong, viable CWB in an open market.</i>

I have one thing to say to Ken: SHUT UP.

He also says (about the CWB in a choice market): <i>we can no longer add value to the marketing of barley from Western Canada.</i>

First Ken, I hate to break it to you, but you don't add value to the marketing of barley in Western Canada.

Second, Ken, don't you think that increased competition for farmer's grain is a good thing? Give your head a shake.

A vote for choice <b>including</b> the CWB is a vote for competition. The more competition for your grain the better. The only reason anyone would vote for a choice market without the CWB is that they are so pissed off at the CWB they don't even want them in the market at all.

The only real problem with this concept is that the CWB may be proven incompetent in a choice market. Then the idea of increased competition from the CWB loses its lustre. But at least those that still want to use a marketing agency like the CWB could.

If the CWB doesn't do it, someone else will.

Here's a thought. You want a plebiscite with only two choices, you know, to avoid confusion, then try this:

Option 1: Status Quo - CWB single desk.
        Option 2: A competitive market which includes the CWB.

Would that be too hard to figure out?

Comment

Here's a thought. You want a plebiscite with only two choices, you know, to avoid confusion, then try this:

Option 1: Status Quo - CWB single desk.
          Option 2: A competitive market which includes the CWB.

Would that be too hard to figure out? -- chaffmeister

So why didn't they send out the ballots with those questions?

Answer: Because they couldn't fudge or distort the issues with CLEAR questions. Distortion and obfuscation IS the Harper way.

Comment

IF those two options are acceptable (not confusing) why would the addition of "choice with no CWB" make it confusing?

If its unacceptable to ask a three-way question, tell the CWB. They've been doing it for 10 years.

Comment

Or how about this:

Option 1: competitive market which includes the CWB
              Option 2: competitive market which does NOT include the CWB

Clear enough now?

Comment

Chaffmeister,

All this talk around the questions in the plebiscite are red herrings.

There is NO real difference between what Wilagro agreed offhandedly as a "fair" question... and the one that was asked in the plebiscite.

I agree totally with you CHaff that #3 is about trust... the lack thereof to want the present CWB managers to market barley.

1. If the COntingency fund is abused... the CWB can cause massive damage to both grain farmers... and livestock producers.

2. If pooling is used... this same abuse is likely to happen... if transparent pricing is not the base of the CWB pool.

3. The CWB Barley market total sales are small... but like a pressure relief valve on a cooker... could have an important place to maintain balance in a well functioning transparent market.

Comment

What is it about monopolists that they can't count beyond the number two?

Comment

"One for you, two for me, one for you, two for me..."

Comment

I once questioned if the rhetoric coming out of the cwb zealots could possibly get any more absurd. Obviously it could.

To argue over a one or two or three question plebicite is irrelevant. They are only differentiated by subtle nuance. And for the cwbers to be making a stink over such meaninless issues only shows how bankrupt these people are of ideas and vision.

These people, this AXIS OF DARKNESS, ooze contempt for farmers. Their words express a defeatist attitude that repulses me to the core.

The very concept of a plebicite was immoral right from the start. I guess that's why it appealed to Ralph Goodale and the Liberals back in 1998 so much.

It's too bad the Consevatives got drawn in the the murky shadows of the plebicite, but what is done is done and hopefully it won't be repeated with wheat.

I've said it before and I'll say it a thousand times again.

For the axis of darkness, this issue has nothing to do with wheat or barley, it's all about money and control of that money.

This next bit is for the current Consevative government. Say it over and over and over until you memorize it.

You can't negotiate with this Axis of Darkness, you can't appeal to their better senses (they have none). Trying to accomodate them only leads to misery (your misery). The only thing you can do is DEFEAT them.

If you act like Chamberlin you'll get what he got. If you act like Churchill you'll get what he got.

Immortal gratitude.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...